Swaro 15x56 (non HD) vs Meopta 15x56

TGLBRH

Lil-Rokslider
Would you guys recommend or choose the Swaro non hd over the Meopta Meostar in 15x56?

Of course I'd love the new Swaro Hds but there out of my price range. I've seen a few sets of the Swaro 15x56 non HD pop up in my price range. Just not sure if I'd be better off with the Meostars for around the same price.

Thanks

Ben RT

Lil-Rokslider
I have experience with the Meostars and the SLD HD, but not the older version of the Swaro 15s. The Meostar 15 is really really close to the SLC HD 15... the only real advantage I noticed with the SLC HD was the field of view was a little wider in the Swaro HD. From what I understand the Meostar is between the two Swaros in terms of image quality. If it were me, I would get the Meostar. If you value the name Swarovski, then that's another story...

JDB9818

WKR
I had the Meopta 15's and sold them to get the Swaro 15 HD's...... no regrets. A hunting friend of mine has the Swaro 15's non-HD and I've spent a little time looking through those as well.

For me I'd definitely go with the Meopta's, they are pretty close to the Swaro HD's.

Just my .02

OP
TGLBRH

TGLBRH

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. I have been leaning toward the Meostars over the Swaro non HDs for some time now. Just havnt seen any pop up since I joined last month. I guess I'll just have to have a little more patience.

I owned the non hd swaros for many years before upgrading to the swaro hds. Optically the hds are superior but their greatest improvement was redesigning the barrels so the IPD became closer. Basically the non hd design did not work for a lot of people whose eyes are close together. It felt like the hinge would not allow proper alignment with the eyes due to the huge barrels hitting each other.

Swarovski fixed this problem with the new design and it is a pleasure to look through now.

I do not have any experience with the meostar 15s but I had a set of 10x 42 hd meostars and they were fantastic. Not swaro el sv fantastic but in my opinion the best glass for dollar spent made today. I'm sure the 15 meostars are the same.

Reactions: pc3
OP
TGLBRH

TGLBRH

Lil-Rokslider
I owned the non hd swaros for many years before upgrading to the swaro hds. Optically the hds are superior but their greatest improvement was redesigning the barrels so the IPD became closer. Basically the non hd design did not work for a lot of people whose eyes are close together. It felt like the hinge would not allow proper alignment with the eyes due to the huge barrels hitting each other.

Swarovski fixed this problem with the new design and it is a pleasure to look through now.

I do not have any experience with the meostar 15s but I had a set of 10x 42 hd meostars and they were fantastic. Not swaro el sv fantastic but in my opinion the best glass for dollar spent made today. I'm sure the 15 meostars are the same.

I actually have very narrow eyes...so I'm glad you brought that up. I had the Kaibabs at one point but they were very uncomfortable for me for that exact reason.

Ben RT

Lil-Rokslider
I just looked up the Interpupillary distances on the three mentioned (...because I have nothing but COVID19 time...):

Swarovski SLC HD - 55.9 to 76.2mm

Meostar HD - 56 to 74mm

Swarovski SLC (from 2006) - 64 to 75.8mm

And I'm pretty sure the eyepiece itself is real close in size between the Meostar and SLC HD. The jump up to the old style SLC is quite a difference!!

pc3

WKR

I tend to agree with this.....I was down to Swaro 10x42 SLC and Meostar 10x42 HD looked through the SLC's bought the 10x42 HD's Meostar's $850-$900 or so cheaper than what I could have bought SLC'10x42's for.

The Meostar 10x42's are really good I dont think the SLC 10x42 is the best part of a gorilla better.

Now here in Australia the equation $$ wise changes when you get to the 15's difference is a lot less between these two models in 15x, no $850-$900 saving closer to $450-$500 I think I calculated. I will add 15's (maybe 18's) at some stage, Meostar and Swaro would be the two I will pick from.

In your instance non HD Swaro V HD Meostar 15x I would go with the Meostar. I doubt you will be unhappy. You wont miss any game and you will have extra bills in your account.

I would actually like Meopta to manufacture a Meostar 18x or 20x ...thewy would sell like hotcakes to guys running spotters and 10x bino's.