SwarO 85 STX vs 80 STS HD

Block

WKR
Looking for feedback on people who have owned both or used both and been able to compare. Obviously the BTX capability is a huge + ,,, but if you were to just use it as a straight spotter is the newer X series much or any better than say a 5 year old STS 80 HD? Looks like the older 80 can be had for under 2K so I’ve been thinking about swooping one up. If the X are much clearer/better I will probably just end up going all in with the 95 and BTX...

Right now I have the mini KOWA 554 and looking for something bigger when I’m closer to the truck on Az hunts. Thanks !

Napperm4

WKR
Yes it’s that much better. If you use EL’s with the SV you’ll notice the older HD STS is lacking it.

Both are amazing pieces of glass but there is an appreciable difference especially edge to edge clarity and the swaro color pop on high mag.

I ended up with a 65/95 combo. The 85 is good but the 95 is another world. Plus I have a spotter for each and every situation whether I want an angled 65 for high country hunts, a straight 65 for glassing down valleys or a straight 95 for using on the window mount. I’ve debated a BTX and tried them out but haven’t found a way to fit that into my system yet.

I’m a scan with 10’s on a tripod and use the spotter for detail work kind of guy.

If I was only going to have one lens and didn’t have the unlimited gear budget I do, I’d be content with the 80HD.

Either gets the job done, they’re both swaro quality. I liked and took advantage of the modularity and get an image I like better as a bonus.

Brianb3

WKR
85 v 95 at full power low light side by side for several day saw very little difference. I was convinced I was going to sell the 85 n buy a 95.

I’m off that thinking for now. I’d rather day hunt with an 85 n save the weight.

I do like the ATX objective better then the ATS. The eye piece is more comfortable and the focus wheel and zoom on the housing is way more functional. If that even help at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Block

Block

WKR
Yes it’s that much better. If you use EL’s with the SV you’ll notice the older HD STS is lacking it.

Both are amazing pieces of glass but there is an appreciable difference especially edge to edge clarity and the swaro color pop on high mag.

I ended up with a 65/95 combo. The 85 is good but the 95 is another world. Plus I have a spotter for each and every situation whether I want an angled 65 for high country hunts, a straight 65 for glassing down valleys or a straight 95 for using on the window mount. I’ve debated a BTX and tried them out but haven’t found a way to fit that into my system yet.

I’m a scan with 10’s on a tripod and use the spotter for detail work kind of guy.

If I was only going to have one lens and didn’t have the unlimited gear budget I do, I’d be content with the 80HD.

Either gets the job done, they’re both swaro quality. I liked and took advantage of the modularity and get an image I like better as a bonus.

Ok cool thanks for that feedback so far guys.. That is 1 thing I notice, an edge to edge difference on my 2004’ 10x42 SLC vs my 2017’ 15x56 SLC,,,both are awesome but they have def made some improvements recently..so it makes sense the X series would have improved that as well,,,

OP
Block

Block

WKR
85 v 95 at full power low light side by side for several day saw very little difference. I was convinced I was going to sell the 85 n buy a 95.

I’m off that thinking for now. I’d rather day hunt with an 85 n save the weight.

I do like the ATX objective better then the ATS. The eye piece is more comfortable and the focus wheel and zoom on the housing is way more functional. If that even help at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I often pack my 10s + 15s + KoWA 554 + Tripod.,, wasn’t really even considering bringing an 85/95 up some of the stuff I hike,,,but I guess an 85 with BTX can’t be THAAAT much heavier than 15s + KoWA.,,

Edit just looked it up... 85 BTX would only be 18 oz heavier than 15 SLCs + 554 KOWA.,,, hmmmmmm

Last edited:

coues32

WKR
The 85mm in btx form is quite a bit different being 30x compared to 35x.
I bet 95 is better on spotter form

coues32

WKR
I often pack my 10s + 15s + KoWA 554 + Tripod.,, wasn’t really even considering bringing an 85/95 up some of the stuff I hike,,,but I guess an 85 with BTX can’t be THAAAT much heavier than 15s + KoWA.,,

Edit just looked it up... 85 BTX would only be 18 oz heavier than 15 SLCs + 554 KOWA.,,, hmmmmmm
12 els and 85 btx great combo and 1.7me

Napperm4

WKR
Ok cool thanks for that feedback so far guys.. That is 1 thing I notice, an edge to edge difference on my 2004’ 10x42 SLC vs my 2017’ 15x56 SLC,,,both are awesome but they have def made some improvements recently..so it makes sense the X series would have improved that as well,,,

Yep. The big difference in the X series is the included WA eyepiece and the same field flatterers as the EL’s

Schism

WKR
I’m in the market for a spotting scope as I don’t currently have one, and never have owned one. I’m thinking Swaro X model but with some of the deals in the classifieds on S models I’m wondering if I’d be just as happy and save $2k at the same time.

I’d love to continue to hear opinions from those of you who have owned or used both the X and S models.