Swaro 8x25 or 8x30 cl b?

Howdy all!

After spending the last week going up and down talus fields in Colorado high country, I'm really thinking hard about swapping out the 42mm glass for a compact swaro 8x30 or 8x25 cl b purely for the weight savings while in the field. For what they are, the birders seem to think they work well.

Anyone here have experience with these compacts? These would be used for elk and bear while actively hunting in hard country. At the $900-1300 price range, my thought is that the swaro glass itself would be better/equal performance to a "mid range" 8x32 type glass. I realize that you can't cheat the physics of more objective surface area. The thought of having reasonable performance out of 12oz glass compared to 30oz glass is appealing after last week's experience.

I am crazy?

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The 8x30 wouldn't be a disaster, an 8x25 you would not be pleased at all.

Whether or not you're crazy is something better asked those who have spent time hanging with you :rolleyes:

Q child

WKR
I have 8x25 CL Pockets. They are awesome. Incredibly good for their size. I doubt that they would replace your 42s as your primary glass though. Mine are typically left in my pack. I'll bring them out if I am on a final stalk, and I already know that I'm on an animal that is worthwhile. Then I just use them for quick peeks to make sure the deer is still where I last saw it, or for final checks. That sort of thing. Highly recommended, but I don't quite think they can do what you are hoping they can.

Last edited:
OP
shoeshineman
The 8x30 wouldn't be a disaster, an 8x25 you would not be pleased at all.

Whether or not you're crazy is something better asked those who have spent time hanging with you :rolleyes:
Based on my hunting partner's behavior by day 4, I think I probably talk too much at camp.

I may disagree that you’d be unhappy with 25’s, as long as you try the Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25’s. I just received a pair from B&H, used, for $615. They are phenomenal for their size and do feel like your looking through a pair of 32’s in regards to ease of use and fov. I may just pair them with my Kowa 553 for the ultimate lightweight sheep set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
shoeshineman
I may disagree that you’d be unhappy with 25’s, as long as you try the Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25’s. I just received a pair from B&H, used, for $615. They are phenomenal for their size and do feel like your looking through a pair of 32’s in regards to ease of use and fov. I may just pair them with my Kowa 553 for the ultimate lightweight sheep set up.

The reviews of the victory 8x25 are really good. $615 sounds like highway robbery! How are they at dawn and dusk?

The reviews of the victory 8x25 are really good. $615 sounds like highway robbery! How are they at dawn and dusk?

Well seeing how I just got them today.. we’ll have to wait an hour or two lol.
The eye relief is so long, the Eyecups don’t really extend far enough. So, I picked up some rubber winged Eyecups today. I cut them down a bit as they were quite long. The added width on the eyecup effectively pushes them out a tiny bit, just enough. The view through them is absolutely unbelievable, not just for how small they are either. I have a pair of 8x32 EL WB’s, that are for sale in the classified, and these are a remarkably similar viewing experience. I do though have an order in for the new Zeiss 10x32 SF's. They should blow away most everything else in the category. But, I feel that these do that as well in the small bino field.

162eedd73cfb7cdfff41bc995d12583f.jpg

OP
shoeshineman
Well seeing how I just got them today.. we’ll have to wait an hour or two lol.
The eye relief is so long, the Eyecups don’t really extend far enough. So, I picked up some rubber winged Eyecups today. I cut them down a bit as they were quite long. The added width on the eyecup effectively pushes them out a tiny bit, just enough. The view through them is absolutely unbelievable, not just for how small they are either. I have a pair of 8x32 EL WB’s, that are for sale in the classified, and these are a remarkably similar viewing experience. I do though have an order in for the new Zeiss 10x32 SF's. They should blow away most everything else in the category. But, I feel that these do that as well in the small bino field.

162eedd73cfb7cdfff41bc995d12583f.jpg

I would love to see you do a low light (dawn/dusk) comparison between the EL and the Victory.

You say the victory eye relief is excellent. Assuming the eye cups are all the way in, are you able to get a full field of view with eye glasses on?

Q child

WKR

Maybe you are right. My 8x25 CLs are very good, and I have owned those Zeiss's before and they are also very good. I've also briefly handled those 8x30CLs a few times and they seem really nice too. Go for it Shoeshineman. Why not? They are all good, and you'll still have your 42s if you need them.