Swaro ATX Or ATS?

BustaRibs

FNG
Going to be investing in a new spotter and have my choices narrowed down to a Swaro ATS or ATX. If I go ATS, it will be 20x-60x with 80mm objective, if I buy an ATX it will likely be the 95 mm objective. I can probably pick up a clean used ATS for around $1500 or so, but a new ATX 95 will set me back over $4000. Not afraid to invest the dough if I’m getting my money’s worth, so I’m wondering if anyone can help that might have some quality time behind both scopes. Thanks.

Tyglick

FNG
I can’t say much about the ats. But I have the atx with 95mm and would not change it for anything. Very happy with it. Yes. It is a chunk of change but it should be the last one you buy. I also have the 1.7 extender and it helps a lot!! It is a heavier set up but well worth it in my eyes.

tdot

WKR
I've only compared the older ATS (probably 7-8 years old?) And I ended up with a Kowa as a result. Recently starting to look at a BTX/ATX and would say I prefer the current ATX over my Kowa, though I'll only switch if decide to go to the BTX eyepiece. Didnt look at a current ATS as it doesn't interest me. But the sales rep said they are very similar optically to the ATX.

Not a ton of useful data there, but might be worth looking into the different age/models of the ATS, if you are buying used.

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the ATX a few weeks ago. It was a wise investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
BustaRibs

BustaRibs

FNG
Thanks for the input so far. I’m not surprised that the guys that have the ATX love it, I’m certain it’s an awesome piece of gear. My initial plan was to buy either a new ATX or a used ATS for about one third the cost. But the info here has me wondering now about the optical quality differences between the different versions of used ATS models, depending on the year they’re made, I suppose. I was only going to buy an ATS HD model to start with. But now I’m wondering if I should be considering a new ATS instead (at around $2800). TDot above says the sales rep he talked to told him the optical quality is about the same between the new ATS and the ATX, and Doug from Cameraland says get the ATX “if you’re going to be taking advantage of the modular system” of the ATX, which I’m not sure I will. So the research continues. This is a great resource and education though, thank you all again for the help!

The lenses in each spotter are different. The ATX/STX/BTX has the field flattening lenses similar to their EL binos. The ATS/STS has the lenses similar to their SLC binos. Yes, they are similar. But, they aren't the same. The ATX/STX/BTX series has a noticeably sharper image near the edges.

https://www.swarovskioptik.com/birding/atx-stx-btx-c210201

From my time in the field I've found that a spotter is difficult for me to use for more than 15 minutes straight. My one eye gets tired and the other eye gets bored, or something like that. I've looked through the BTX and found that I could look through it for hours at a time, just like binoculars.

tdot

WKR
Thanks for the input so far. I’m not surprised that the guys that have the ATX love it, I’m certain it’s an awesome piece of gear. My initial plan was to buy either a new ATX or a used ATS for about one third the cost. But the info here has me wondering now about the optical quality differences between the different versions of used ATS models, depending on the year they’re made, I suppose. I was only going to buy an ATS HD model to start with. But now I’m wondering if I should be considering a new ATS instead (at around $2800). TDot above says the sales rep he talked to told him the optical quality is about the same between the new ATS and the ATX, and Doug from Cameraland says get the ATX “if you’re going to be taking advantage of the modular system” of the ATX, which I’m not sure I will. So the research continues. This is a great resource and education though, thank you all again for the help!

I dont know what size objective you are looking for or what optics you've had in the past, but in this tier of optics I would add the Kowa 88 into the search. The used prices that I've seen on them lately make them possibly one of the best values going, IMO.