Swaro bino help

Red33

FNG
After decades of using Nikon binos (10x42s) I'm ready to upgrade my glass and have settled on Swarovski. My main question is, what would you recommend for North Idaho hunting? I rarely use a tripod (have a good spotter for that), usually free-hand, 70% still hunting/ spot and stalk archery and 30% spot/ stalk rifle, but, some days I will just sit and glass. I probably use my glass more than any other piece of equipment I have, except my boots. I'm in my 50s so I don't want to carry an anchor in my harness, and don't want to carry the spotter/ tripod unless I'm in the sxs. I'm leaning towards new or mint/used 10x42EL, 10x42NL, or 10x50 ELs, but should I consider a 12x50? What would you recommend? I should probably add, for those who are un-familar with N Idaho, I'm glassing at less than 100 yards, or well over 700 on to the next ridge- so a pretty wide range.

Last edited:

Norm555

WKR
10x42 NL are phenomenal if you are willing to spend the money. Although the EL's are not far behind for quite a bit less money. I'd try to get all of them in your hands and let your eyes decide for you.

jaredg

Lil-Rokslider
I own EL 10X42, EL Range 10X42, EL 8.5X32 & NL 8X32. I spend a lot of time in the central / N Idaho area hunting. I would go with the NL 8X32 if you can afford it. 2nd place is EL 8.5X32. Third place is the EL Rangers. Last place EL 10X42. Throw in a few pairs of Meoptas in the mix, but you asked about Swaro.

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
I have 8x32 and 10x42 NL. I would go with the 10x42. While I love the 8x32 for whitetail treestand hunting and timber elk, they don’t have the same “wow” factor longer distance glassing that the 10x42 have. Dont look through the NLs and the ELs side by side unless you are prepared to spend the extra money on the NLs.

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
I have 8x32 and 10x42 NL. I would go with the 10x42. While I love the 8x32 for whitetail treestand hunting and timber elk, they don’t have the same “wow” factor longer distance glassing that the 10x42 have. Dont look through the NLs and the ELs side by side unless you are prepared to spend the extra money on the NLs

OP
R

Red33

FNG
I own EL 10X42, EL Range 10X42, EL 8.5X32 & NL 8X32. I spend a lot of time in the central / N Idaho area hunting. I would go with the NL 8X32 if you can afford it. 2nd place is EL 8.5X32. Third place is the EL Rangers. Last place EL 10X42. Throw in a few pairs of Meoptas in the mix, but you asked about S
I wasn't really looking at 8x. I just use the 10x too much and have no trouble with close range glassing "through" the trees when archery hunting.

OP
R

Red33

FNG
I have 8x32 and 10x42 NL. I would go with the 10x42. While I love the 8x32 for whitetail treestand hunting and timber elk, they don’t have the same “wow” factor longer distance glassing that the 10x42 have. Dont look through the NLs and the ELs side by side unless you are prepared to spend the extra money on the NLs
I can't find a pair of NLs close by to look through. I looked at ELs, but in the store it is really hard to judge. Are the NLs really that much better?

MtnMuley

WKR
The NL's are quite a bit nicer in my opinion. I had no need to change when they first came out, then I used a pair of 12's. Ordered a set the next day. Sold the 10x42 EL HD's. I normally glass 90% of the time with Swaro 15s, so I've gotten away from using the 12 NL's. Recently picked up some 8 EL Ranges and doubt the 12s will get much use now as I'll use the 8s for turkey and archery hunting now. The NL 12s are great once again, but I'd strongly look at the 8s before you pull the trigger. Field of view is insane. Biggest selling point for me. Just a thought.

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
Optically, no. I dont think there is much difference. Ergonomics and field of view absolutely. It is hard to appreciate without looking through both side by side. The EL is a great bino and I imagine you will be really happy either way over your nikons.

BBob

WKR
I'm leaning towards new or mint/used 10x42EL, 10x42NL, or 10x50 ELs, but should I consider a 12x50?
"but should I consider a 12x50?" I'd say a strong NO, definitely not for your stated purpose. I have EL's and NL's of several flavors. NL's if you can afford it are fantastic. If I had to limit myself to just my little EL 10x32's for around my neck it wouldn't hurt that much, they are still really good glass.

Ca45acp

FNG
I love my 10x42 EL range, they outperformed all my buddies binos in low light. They’ve been solid. I don’t see the need to bump up. I goto my ATX 95 if I need to mag up for detail looks.

OutdoorAg

WKR
The Used 10x42 EL (thanks to the NL introduction) is the best deal in the optics world right now.

When the NLs came out, I knew right away that the used EL market was about to become 3-400 cheaper. And thats about what I've seen.

OP
R

Red33

FNG
The Used 10x42 EL (thanks to the NL introduction) is the best deal in the optics world right now.

When the NLs came out, I knew right away that the used EL market was about to become 3-400 cheaper. And thats about what I've seen.
Well, if you know anyone that wants go get rid of a like-new pair of ELs , let me know.

OutdoorAg

WKR
Well, if you know anyone that wants go get rid of a like-new pair of ELs , let me know.
Just watch the classifieds. They come up every week or so. Some prices better than others, but yeah. They out there.