swaro EL 12x50's your likes/dislikes?

handwerk

WKR
These binos have a lot of fans but there have been some folks who sold theirs off, I'd like to hear why you didn't keep them?

Can't speak to selling them off. I have these with the Outdoorsman stud and they are fantastic. Good low-light performance and FOV. Love them off a tripod.

I used the EL Swarovision 12x50s with an Outdoorsmans adapter all last season. For me, the glass is the best I’ve seen When placed on a tripod. This pretty much goes for the entire EL line for my eyes. But what I found during use is free handing them causes me to have motion sickness. I don’t have that problem with my EL Swarovision 8x32, 10x42 or 10x50. So many people say the 12s are good for quick checks on animals and terrain, but this wasn’t the case for me. The 12x50 just doesn’t work well free hand for me. Thus, they have been sold.

Now its 8x32s in the timber for archery elk and 10x50s and a spotter for backcountry mule deer.

Last edited:

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
I was also considering buying the Swaro EL 12x50 but then the NL pure 12x42's were unveiled. How do you think those two will compare and which would you rather have?

Likes: on a tripod with the outdoorsmans stud and the pistol grip head they are incredibly nice. Better FoV super bright, animals just pop.

dislikes: heavier and bulkier than my 10x42 EL’s, not as steady hand holding them.

I carry my 12’s when I know I will parking it in one spot and be glassing a lot to find game, I carry my 8’s or 10’s if I know I’ll be moving around and hunting while on the move, like still/slow hunting timber in rifle seasons...

Brooks

WKR
I bought the 12x50 EL’s to glass off a tripod and the only thing IMO better is a good spotter. They are not the kind of binos you can just stand in an open meadow and glass across a canyon. If I’m going to glass with them without a tripod I lean against a tree or sit down and hold them to my eyes and hold the brim of my hat to steady them. I know I won’t be selling these for a long time. 100% satisfied.

You will see a lot of $2k binoculars change hands as preferences both vary and change. The EL 12’s are extra popular among western hunters, hold their value well, and are niche enough to warrant “trying” used for many.

Hogyotedeer

Banned
All glassing is greatly improved when tripod mounted. A 12x is very difficult to hand hold effectively for anything more than a quick look. For prolonged glassing you really should tripod mount.

Brendan

WKR
I'll give you dislikes, but this is pretty much any binocular larger than 10x42

Harder to hand hold. Have to upsize to a bigger chest rig, won't fit in my AGC Kodiak CUB and the bigger ones feel huge. Heavier to carry on your chest (If that's how you're using them)

Without knowing how you're planning on using them at all, If I were to have one pair of binos only, I am 100% still a fan of 10x42's (I use the EL's). Add the Outdoorsman's stud, bino adapter, pan head, and a tripod to go with the them and you're set.

BluMtn

WKR
I have had mine for about 5 years now and I free hand them and occasionally use my shooting rest as a steady. I see no reason to carry any other bino for my style of hunting. I use them for long range and the timber.

I carry them on my neck for all my hunts. Deer elk goats sheep you name it. I Can hand hold them just fine. But they really shine off a tripod

Last edited:
Owned the 12x50s for over a year now. On a tripod I can do more damage with these than 10s or 15s and to be honest, I dont know how optics could get any better for spotting game in western environments. More power, you lose FOV, gain weight, and lose light transmission....These hit a balance point that is (currently) at a zenith in terms of effectiveness. In cooler (ie low heat wave conditions) I can spot elk rumps or muley legs at distances it would take 2 days to get to and the FOV is still wide enough that I can scan effectively in the early hours at distances within stalking range. They are so crisp, everytime I look through them I laugh..still... However, using them on a moose hunt last fall, it quickly became clear that for glassing sub 300yds by hand, in cover, they are usable, but when the heart is pumping, and you need to find movement or in my case find the black patch quick, and with one hand, they were less than ideal. So...as is often the case for optics addicts, I purchased some more optics.... maven 6x32s for the neck for the massive fov and one handed operation and I now keep the 12s attached to the tripod in the pack....Dont let any hombre say the ELs cant keep up with the (insert brand here) 15x56. For open conditions, (sage, desert or purely alpine) they'll go back on the neck.