Swaro EL Range question

SDHNTR

WKR
Last I looked, the EL Range did not do angle compensation less than 33 yards. I’m a Bowhunter so this was a deal breaker for me. Is this still the case with the newer versions of the EL Range? I looked all though specs and reviews online and could t find the answer to that question.

Trr15

WKR
I have an older pair (2012) that I use exclusively for rifle hunting. If I remember correctly, they won't range less than 33 yards and angle comp doesn't factor in until 100+. I've been researching a newer set and from what I've found so far, I don't believe this has changed with the latest model.

fatlander

WKR
That’s what I was afraid of. So lame! Why would they neglect bow hunters?

Pure speculation but my guess would be that wielding RF binos, one handed, with game inside of bow-range seems like a pretty cumbersome endeavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Pure speculation but my guess would be that wielding RF binos, one handed, with game inside of bow-range seems like a pretty cumbersome endeavor.

It’s not. You get used to it quickly. Been doing it for years with Leicas, which does range and angle compensate in to 10 yards. I’m just not 100% satisfied with the low light optical quality.

It’s not. You get used to it quickly. Been doing it for years with Leicas, which does range and angle compensate in to 10 yards. I’m just not 100% satisfied with the low light optical quality.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but I don’t understand. If the animal is inside, say 30 yards, and you have enough light to make an ethical shot, and have decided to take the shot, why would it matter that your current set of range binos don’t have superior light gathering capabilities?

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Don’t take this the wrong way, but I don’t understand. If the animal is inside, say 30 yards, and you have enough light to make an ethical shot, and have decided to take the shot, why would it matter that your current set of range binos don’t have superior light gathering capabilities?

Because I also use those same binoculars for standard glassing. I want optical quality AND rangefinding ability at archery ranges.

Optical quality will always be lower in a RF bino.
Even in like models.
Do some research on it.
If you want the best optically you have to go separate binos and rangefinder.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Optical quality will always be lower in a RF bino.
Even in like models.
Do some research on it.
If you want the best optically you have to go separate binos and rangefinder.
Well aware of that. But I’d also expect the $3500 Swaros to be better than the $1600 Leicas I have.

Can anyone actually answer my question about the newest Range EL?

TravKatQ

WKR
Well aware of that. But I’d also expect the $3500 Swaros to be better than the $1600 Leicas I have.

To throw my 2 cents in about the optical quality comparing $1600 Leicas to $3500 swaros, I’d defiantly say Leica is right on par or slightly better optically! I picked up the new Geovid 3000’s from their last big sales and I prefer those to the el ranges and from what I’ve read they haven’t changed the glass in the Geovids a whole lot the last several years!
Sorry doesn’t answer your initial question but thought I’d brag about the new leicas lol

Doesn’t sound like you’re getting the answers you’re looking for. Maybe just call Swarovski. They’re very helpful and you can get a human on the phone in under a minute.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member

I bought my EL ranges in 2015-16 and they do not range under 33. Not sure if there’s been a newer model than that released.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Ok thanks! That’s the answer I needed. Still surprised at how lame that is! Guess bow hunters just clearly are not their target market.

Last edited:
Ok thanks! That’s the answer I needed. Still surprised at how lame that is! Guess bow hunters just clearly are not their target market.
Their taget is European hunters. There's only a couple countries that allow archery hunting an not in huge demand.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they end up coming out with a new, updated, cooler pair before too much longer....

TravKatQ

WKR
I wouldn't be at all surprised if they end up coming out with a new, updated, cooler pair before too much longer....

Jordan do you have some insider knowledge you would like to share/hint? I sure hope Swaro comes up with an updated version but then again my wallet hopes they don’t any time soon!