Swaro EL vs EL Range

So I'm trying to decide between the two & can't find the information that I'm looking for so hoping I can get some "real world" answers here.

Is there a difference between the EL glass & coatings VS the EL range glass & coatings? I know the EL is highly rated & I want to make sure I'm getting the same quality if I decide to buy the EL range.

Thanks!

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The difference that does make a difference is that the laser for the rangefinder runs thru the optic so there is technically about a 5% degradation in quality

Ronb

WKR
No swarovision in ranges. Meaning it does not have the field flattening lenses. I don’t know if it has ed glass either. So yes it is not quite on the same level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I’m very well versed in the two. I own both and spent quite some time figuring out the differences. It is so absolutely minute that you will not see a difference. The short answer is the EL range have the exact same glass/coatings as the original EL Binos. If you want the complete run down, contact Del at Swarovski. He will inform you the difference and why you’ll likely never notice. Also, the light transmission between the two is not 5%. It’s less than 2% from the EL’s. The EL range is the better option. You will still notice a very flat field without the rolling ball and the added bonus of a rangefinder.

Ronb

WKR
That’s interesting, “no one will notice a difference.” Apparently that means that field flattener’s and Eye relief and brightness and field of view, among other things are not noticeable. The regular EL‘s are a step up in almost every category. Well OP, I do notice a difference and that’s why I own the el’s and not the ranges. Not trying to be combative, but most people who have used the two do notice a difference, even if it’s slight. Which when you’re talking about most alpha binoculars, we’re always talking about slight differences. They’re all really good!

That’s interesting, “no one will notice a difference.” Apparently that means that field flattener’s and Eye relief and brightness and field of view, among other things are not noticeable. The regular EL‘s are a step up in almost every category. Well OP, I do notice a difference and that’s why I own the el’s and not the ranges. Not trying to be combative, but most people who have used the two do notice a difference, even if it’s slight. Which when you’re talking about most alpha binoculars, we’re always talking about slight differences. They’re all really good!

I never said “no one will notice a difference.” The 6’ in FOV is not noticeable. Exit Pupil distance is about the only real difference. The absence of Feild Flattening is almost not noticeable either....the view is amazingly flat still. The positive is not having the rolling ball. The point I’m trying to make is the difference is very subtle. “If” you notice a difference it’s made up by having an integrated rangefinder built it. That’s all

Last edited:

Ronb

WKR
No rolling ball is a plus, eye relief for me is a big deal. Although, I have gotten used to the rolling ball.

OP
Bigdawgridge
Thank you guys for the info. I really wanted the Swarovision so I’ll probably stick to the regular EL. A wealth of information on here. Special thanks to Pronghunter & Ronb.

Dagger5

Lil-Rokslider
I have the EL range and I could not "see" the difference side by side prior to purchasing. In the right conditions you might give the edge to the EL's. For what it is worth the rangefinder in the range is awesome. The price was another matter entirely, but a lifelong investment was worth it.

ljalberta

WKR
I'd call Doug at Cameraland or someone at Swarovski Optics. I believe the main differences are no field flatteners and it's not HD glass in the EL Range Model.

notchfir3

Lil-Rokslider
Guess I'll throw in my 2 cents since I actually do have both. Well, did. Had to sell one to get the other. So I absolutley love these EL ranges. Only a few ounces heavier than my other EL's and as clear and crisp to me as the others. I've ranged over 2000 yards with these. As far as the glass in each, I really think that the human eye is only capable of so much anyway and trying to tell the difference between the other El's and my El Range is nearly impossible. I wondered the same thing with the Swaro Spotter Regular and the Swaro HD. Setting them side by side, looking at the same hillside, you couldn't tell a flippin difference, both were awesome. the HD is may be better for pictures but since I dont have an adapter for the camera, I can't speak for that.

I know if I had the choice again, I'd stick with the EL Range, no question about it. It's quite nice not having to worry about one more device to pack around with the rangefinder built in.

I doubt you could really tell the difference in quality of glass at that high of level of glass......

OutdoorAg

WKR
Swaro doesn’t offer a stand alone range finder anymore.

Since the EL range came out, both Leica and Zeiss have upped their game, offer RF Binos with ballistic solutions. Most notably the new Zeiss Victory.

Swaro has the optic-Bluetooth tech. It’s in their DS rifle scope.

To the casual observer with no connections at Swaro, all this of this screams “We are next with a new RF Bino”.

I could be wrong. I’ve got no insider info. But I can’t imagine Swaro will sit back and let this market segment (Bluetooth and RF connectivity) pass them by. And knowing Swaro, when they do drop something to compete with the others, it will be:

1) Expensive
2) Very, very good
3) Make the current EL range obsolete

IMO, hold your coin purse close, and wait a year.

I really wish Swaro would have put the range finder button on the correct side (lol) of the bino, as it's almost completely useless for right handed bowhunters, as we hold our bows in our left hand and can't reach the range finder function when holding the bino with one hand.

I haven't had a chance to look through them extensively, did have a paif of SLC's and am trying to pinch pennies to get myself another pair of Swaro bino's.

I can't tell you how often I used them sitting in a treestand in the middle of an acorn flat in the middle of Iowa this last year. Game changer for my whitetail hunting