Swaro Junkies

OP
Researcher
Any opinions on whether an older pair of SLCs from about 2000-2004 would be worth the $850-1000, or would a current pair of $1000 binoculars have better glass? Is it worth it to go with 15-20 year old SLCs?
Thanks in advance.

To me the 15-20 year old SLCs are worth $600-800. You can get the HD version of the SLCs for $1000-$1200

I agree with the comments that with the newer glass you do gain so nice improvements in the functionality while the actual glass changes may not be as significant. One example is the older EL's have a really bad separate rubber lens cover system that is not connected an tends to fall off in the field. The newer one have the objective covers integrated.

Trial153

WKR
Just got my SLC back after being repaired, 200 bill and two month turn around

Been wanting to step up to Swaros for a little while now and found a pair of 10x42 el built in 07. Swaro bright, not swarovision. If the price was the same as brand new SLC HDs, would anyone here pick the 13 year old ELs?

OP
Researcher
Here is how I see the used Swaro binocular market.

Used current model SLCs - $1250 little more if you have the box and everything, little less if you just have the binoculars.

Used previous model (2010-2011 "first gen HD") $1150 ittle more if you have the box and everything little less if you just have the binoculars. Same as the current model except these also have an additional close focus mechanism which has been removed in the current version.

SLC NEU - this has swarobright plus additional coatings. People seem to ask $900ish

SLC "swarobright only" (15-20 years old) People seem to ask $800 but dont get bids on ebay

If you have "rarer" sized SLC like 10x50 or 8x50 people seem to ask a lot on ebay and get no bids. I think there are some 10x50 on ebay now for $2200....

Current EL Swarovision Field Pro model $2200+/- once again with the box.

EL SV non field pro $1800 +/-

EL non SV $1250+/- There are some at a pawn shop online right now for $1050 and havent sold for the last week I have seen them on there.

If you buy used always call Swaro to verify you aren't buying something stolen. If you ever send in your used Swaros they will check.

Been wanting to step up to Swaros for a little while now and found a pair of 10x42 el built in 07. Swaro bright, not swarovision. If the price was the same as brand new SLC HDs, would anyone here pick the 13 year old ELs?
Nope. The SLC HDs are great binos and IMO better than older ELs.

Used current model SLCs - $1250 little more if you have the box and everything, little less if you just have the binoculars.

Used previous model (2010-2011 "first gen HD") $1150 ittle more if you have the box and everything little less if you just have the binoculars. Same as the current model except these also have an additional close focus mechanism which has been removed in the current version.

SLC NEU - this has swarobright plus additional coatings. People seem to ask $900ish

SLC "swarobright only" (15-20 years old) People seem to ask $800 but dont get bids on ebay

If you have "rarer" sized SLC like 10x50 or 8x50 people seem to ask a lot on ebay and get no bids. I think there are some 10x50 on ebay now for $2200....

Current EL Swarovision Field Pro model $2200+/- once again with the box.

EL SV non field pro $1800 +/-

EL non SV $1250+/- There are some at a pawn shop online right now for $1050 and havent sold for the last week I have seen them on there.

If you buy used always call Swaro to verify you aren't buying something stolen. If you ever send in your used Swaros they will check.

I see SLC WB advertised quite a bit on eBay, where do the WB models fall in to the line up?

OP
Researcher
I see SLC WB advertised quite a bit on eBay, where do the WB models fall in to the line up?

Take a look at post #19. Its a PDF of the history of Swarovski Optik and it will show the model lineup. The SLC with swarobright only is all green and its a light green. The Swarobright plus is a darker green with black trapezoid around the hinge, these are usually referred to as NEU. I do believe both these models have WB on the hinge cap between the eyepieces. I always go by what the body looks like and I get that from that PDF in post #19.

ozyclint

WKR
I'm actually interested in the swaro habicht 7x42GA porro for bowhunting. I like the depth of field that porro's have and equivalent standard of optical quality can be had for less than half the price of a top line roof. The habicht has a light transmission rate of 96% which is among the highest available due to the inherent characteristics of a Porro prism binos. I guess roofs are popular because they are more compact and sexier but fashion is for ladies and handbags IMO.

They have good reviews on the bird forums. Plus as a trad bowhunter I think there is something cool about using a bino that has remained largely unchanged since 1947!! They have upgraded the glass and coatings but the design remains the same.

rcdinaz

FNG
Find a good deal on the EL's.
I have 10x42's that are 15 yers old, 15's that are close to 10's, and 12 EL's that are almost 5 years old, and a spotter. The 12 EL's are just better. Yes, I have a couple of buddy's that have bought the newer version of all the binos I have and the 12's are still the best and the sweet spot. The guys I know who can afford them have all switched to 12 EL's as well.

The smaller bino's for archery may be a good idea but I think the use will be limited. Don't get me wrong I have come close to buying a few used pairs that were a good deal. Would be a good backpacking pair as well.

. . . If you buy used always call Swaro to verify you aren't buying something stolen. If you ever send in your used Swaros they will check.

I was lucky to find a 10x42 2014 SLC (current WB version) in a pawn shop for $799 recently. It included the original field case but no other Swaro accessories. The optics seemed excellent, no scratches or defects that I could tell, but the hinge was sticky and the focus knob rubbing, rough, and uneven. I sent it off to SONA and they are repairing it under the 10 year warranty free of charge despite me not being the original owner (great customer service!). I had wanted a Swaro SLC for a long time, but used was the only way I could afford one. It's still a lot of money, although I truly appreciate the bargain. Before I sent it off I tried it out, it was an amazing view - very bright, great colors, no CA of note.

Robert

Last edited: