Swaro NL Pure 10 vs 12 for Alaska

ppwack02

Lil-Rokslider
I'm finally making the plunge into a pair of high end optics. After looking through multiple brands I've decided I'm going to pick up a Pair of NL's. My dilemma is choosing between 10's or 12's. I've been in Alaska now for 20 years and have always used 10's. I have liked 10's because my hands seem to shake bad with 12's. After looking through both I don't seem to have that problem with the NL 12's. I don't plan on getting a stud or a tripod because I have a good spotter. Any input would be appreciated. These will be used primarily for moose, caribou, mountain goat and hopefully sheep some day.

I looked through both today. I think for Alaskan mountain hunting, where you have a spotting scope nearly all the time, the wider field of view of the 10’s would be more beneficial. The 12’s, while nice, do not have the spectacular wide view that the 10’s or 8’s have. If I was hunting Mule Deer, Elk etc., I may go for a higher power bino as I would be more likely to be only carrying them and not a spotter. My thoughts anyhow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B23

WKR
For hand hold viewing the EL 8.5x42 are my favs but I've read the new NL Pure 10x42 has the same field of view as the 8.5x42 EL.

Everyone is different but for me I prefer the lower power of the 8.5's when hand hold viewing. The extra magnification of the 10's doesn't seem as crisp and clear but put them on some kind mount or stand and I can't really tell the difference.

The new NL Pure is supposed to have slightly better glass/optics than the EL so maybe that'll help compensate for any clarity issue being caused when free hand viewing and with the 10X NL having the same FOV as the 8.5 EL I could see those new NL 10's possibly being the perfect fit.

I also would err on the lower magnification end and go 10 before 12. For the above already mentioned reasons in addition to having lower angle sun up here. It's nice having a bit higher exit pupil. With that said, I wouldn't go 8's because once I get the typical FOV of a decent pair of 8x, any more is just more foreground and sky.

kaku3428

Lil-Rokslider
Go with 10s and if feel the need buy a Meopta 12 or 15 a d sell it after the hunt for a $100 less

Siggy111

FNG
I use 12's in Ak. I have 10's as well. The last trip a month ago, I only took the 12's. FOV of old 10's but with the magnification. I use them for everything now. I use a headrest if panning open country. In the woods, it's off. Great glass. 10's are the best of both worlds, but I have no regrets going with 12's. Good luck.

snipe10

FNG
Had EL's and am going with the 10 X 42 NL's, can't wait. Hunt all Western States, Colorado, Utah, MT, Idaho.

kaboku68

WKR
I got the 8s first. I really loved that pair but I worked a really nice pair of 12s and traded the 8s in for the 12s. I felt that there was very little penalty for the extra magnification. There will be a pair of 10X32 NLs in my future.

I got the 8s first. I really loved that pair but I worked a really nice pair of 12s and traded the 8s in for the 12s. I felt that there was very little penalty for the extra magnification. There will be a pair of 10X32 NLs in my future.
I've used my 10x32 NL's now for both sheep and blacktail. They are fantastic.

Know that the NL Pures are the new “shiny penny” with many groundbreaking features. Looking forward to hearing how they hold up after several seasons of rugged field work.

In keeping with the thread, I personally favor 10s over 12s. I was on the fence considering using the 12s with the new headrest. But decided the 12s are more of a dedicated tripod glass. Sure they are more magnification, but I’m unconvinced they offer more detail in a handheld view.

We just got back dropping my son off at college in Idaho and we spent a few days in Yellowstone glassing the Lamar and Hayden valleys. I had the NL 10x with the headrest and it was perfect from handheld use. Great FOV and I had a Meostar 15x and the Meostar S2 on tripods to switch over to when we saw something we wanted to watch. The 12x might have been too much for me to handhold even with the headrest and I would have missed the huge FOV. I see more detail with a more stable 10x image than a shakier 12x image. I had tried the NL 12x out and think they are phenomenal on a tripod but for me the 10x was the best all round.

OP
P

ppwack02

Lil-Rokslider
I just wanted to post an update. I ended up going with 12's after being able to snag a new pair up cheaper than 10's. I figure I could always trade into a pair of 10's if I want to swap it up. I bought the forehead rest after a few trips out to see if it would help me steady the glass. I was actually surprised how well the forehead rest works. I find it odd that the rest does not snap all the way in the binos though. They have been a fantastic addition for moose and caribou so far this year.

wiz329

FNG
I use 12's in Ak. I have 10's as well. The last trip a month ago, I only took the 12's. FOV of old 10's but with the magnification. I use them for everything now. I use a headrest if panning open country. In the woods, it's off. Great glass. 10's are the best of both worlds, but I have no regrets going with 12's. Good luck.
Resurrecting this thread -- deciding now between 10x and 12x. Any thoughts in the last couple years that would change your opinion? Leaning towards the 12x, and maybe supplement with 8x at some point in the future.