Swaro scope issue

2bgop

FNG
Hey all

I'm new here, I have been a life long shooter, but just recently started hunting out west and shooting longer range. I bought a factory refurbished Swaro Z5 3.5-18 44mm scope and mounted it to my Cooper 52 Excalibur in 6.5x284. I used Talley lightweight rand had my smith to do the install and bore sighing, so I am pretty confident there wasn't an installation error.

I took the rifle to the range to zero my scope and set up the turret. I was on paper with the first shot and the rifle is shooting under .5 groups at 100 yards. I noticed that the adjustments didn't seem right when I was getting it to zero, but the range was really packed and I forgot to count my total clicks needed and how far off it was to 1/4 click MOA, but I know it was off. I got the rifle zeroed at 100 and went home. Today I go to set up the turret using the information on Swarovski's website and sure enough, I only have enough elevation to get me to 300 yards.

I don't think I messed any part of the process up along the way and I am assuming there is still an unfixed issue with the scope, but I wanted to check and see if there is something obvious I am missing? Thanks everyone.

ckleeves

WKR
It sounds like there is a problem, but if you want to make sure then take apart the BT and take the bottom ring that controls the zero stop and limits the turret to one rotation off.

Then count your clicks to the top end and see what you have. If it's the same as what you had before with the turret assembled then there's a problem with the scope or your rings/bore aren't very well lined up.

If you have more then you did then you have the ring indexed wrong or the BT somehow assembled wrong.

Sorry that's the best I can describe it but hopefully it makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP

2bgop

FNG
It sounds like there is a problem, but if you want to make sure then take apart the BT and take the bottom ring that controls the zero stop and limits the turret to one rotation off.

Then count your clicks to the top end and see what you have. If it's the same as what you had before with the turret assembled then there's a problem with the scope or your rings/bore aren't very well lined up.

If you have more then you did then you have the ring indexed wrong or the BT somehow assembled wrong.

Sorry that's the best I can describe it but hopefully it makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I pretty well get what you are saying. I took everything apart and I have 57 total clicks of elevation, so top to bottom was 57 clicks. Where I had my 100 zero is 15 clicks down very the top end. I will take it back to the smith tomorrow and reset the rings and see what happens. Thank you.

wapitibob

WKR
That scope has 58" @100 or 4 times the clicks you're getting. Hold it up to a mirror and center the crosshair, then count clicks to max btm or top. That will tell you if at least the reticle is centered.

OP

2bgop

FNG
Any ideas on why I wasn't getting 1/4 moa movement from 1/4 moa adjustment?

dotman

WKR
I think I pretty well get what you are saying. I took everything apart and I have 57 total clicks of elevation, so top to bottom was 57 clicks. Where I had my 100 zero is 15 clicks down very the top end. I will take it back to the smith tomorrow and reset the rings and see what happens. Thank you.

57 clicks is correct, you have to remove the turret cap and sight it in and then adjust the zero stop again so that 100 yards is on the 0 and then you have 57 clicks of up adj, make sense?

Also no need to take it to your smith, swaro has very good instructions and it needs to be adjusted at sight in or you'll never get it setup correctly unless you pay your smith to sight it in. But if you do that you won't understand your scope of you have issues in the field, I recommend reading the swaro manual and doing it yourself.

dotman

WKR
He said he took everything apart and had 57 total clicks.

My guess is he just took the top off but didn't pull up on the zero stop release to free up total clicks. If I remember correctly the Z5 has to have it pulled up while the Z3 just has the slider and has to be move with each 43 click rotation to get more then 43 clicks.

ckleeves

WKR
My guess is he just took the top off but didn't pull up on the zero stop release to free up total clicks. If I remember correctly the Z5 has to have it pulled up while the Z3 just has the slider and has to be move with each 43 click rotation to get more then 43 clicks.

Hopefully that is the case, then he just needs to index it correctly and should have more clicks up.

dotman

WKR
Hopefully that is the case, then he just needs to index it correctly and should have more clicks up.

Looks like you don't have to pull up on the last part just index it for the zero stop. The Z3 is a little diff and I'm going off memory from when I helped a buddy with his Z5.