Swaro to Kowa

Sako300

WKR
No way is the kowa 553/554 better then the ATS/STS 65 HD. The HD in the ATM model Swarovski is even better. Kowa is a pain to get a nice protective case and they really need one for their body. $120-$200 for a kowa case 553/554 case.

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly I've never really compared swaro to kowa. All I know is I have a new 884 and it's really nice. Glasses a couple moose at 7.2 miles the other day. Was running 60 power and was crystal clear.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I need a good spotting scope (though it might be a while before I can fit it in the budget). I guess my question is how usable is the top end magnification of the Kowa's compared to the Swaros? I have read enough to know I would want the 25-50x eye piece for the ATS 65, which if the Kowa TSN-553 is usable to the full 45x I don't see the point in a 20 ounce weight penalty for 50x.

The next question becomes, is the Kowa 773 useable to the full 60x? If it is, is it worth the 30 ounce weight penalty to move from 45x to 60x?

I hunt goats, want to hunt sheep. I have not used any quality spotting scopes, so I don't have the experience to know what I want. I do know that my current (cheap) scope lacks resolving power for fine details, making it close to worthless.

Kowa TSN-553
28.5 ounces
15-45x
$1799

Swaro ATS 65 HD
49.6 ounces
25-50x
$2418

Kowa 773
59.4 ounces
25-60x
$2249

The little Kowa 55 is the best in its class (ultra compact spotters), but not on the same performance level as the Swaro 65 and Kowa 77. The Kowa 77 is a bit better corrected (with the Prominar WA eyepiece) and a touch brighter than the 65 Swaro.

The Swaro is still incredible optically though, and you can go without a case easier with the great armoring, it’s lighter, and a bit more compact.

Tough call.

Ive compared a swaro atx 95 and Kowa 884 side by side multiple times and I’d take the Kowa over it. To my eyes the glass is better and FOV is identical. I wish the Kowa body had a different coating as it gets cold as hell!

WRO

WKR
Ive compared a swaro atx 95 and Kowa 884 side by side multiple times and I’d take the Kowa over it. To my eyes the glass is better and FOV is identical. I wish the Kowa body had a different coating as it gets cold as hell!
I did as well, the kowa was too green in its view for me to call it equal, good though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ThinkLeicaBuck

Lil-Rokslider
I know it's been discussed several times, but if your in the market for a high end scope, do your self a favor and look through a Kowa scope. I sold an ATS swaro to get a Kowa, it is just better
I’ve owned every piece of high end glass (spotters) in the last 4 years. I put my 115, 95, STX 1st in line. The kowa is second. I like the kowa more than then Leica and Harpia because of the edge to edge clarity. When I say I put the kowa second to the 95/115 STX, it’s not a far second. It’s actually really close. When I set my kowa up next to the 85 (ATX at that time) Swaro there wasn’t much of a difference. The Leica highlights natural colors and makes it easier to spot deer in thick country. Leica literally highlights mule deer. It’s like they stand out more with the coatings they use. I know it’s crazy but this is how I felt looking through the spotter and their 12x50 binos. I always keep my Leica glass because if I find a big buck above ag fields in thick purple brush and sage, I want that high light sensation that Leica gives me. I’m actually mega biased to Leica so it’s hard for me to admit that there is better glass out there. Anyway, when comparing the 85 swaro and 88 kowa the way the colors looked were also very similar. It was just how I see it with the naked eye. Now, every time I buy glass there is a honeymoon faze. I stop noticing that the Leica highlights deer. It becomes normal. Same with the kowa and swaro. They don’t necessarily highlight deer but your eyes learn what deer look like through your scope and it becomes just as efficient as the Leica. It’s the same thing as buying a new bow. You notice everything the new bow does better than your old bow, every time you draw back. Eventually that fades and it just becomes natural feeling to draw the bow and shoot. I believe the Kowa and swaro ATX 85 were dam near 6’s! I think they both have better low light ability that the Leica and Ziess Harpia. I know for a fact that the Kowa is a long way ahead of the STS 80 as well. When the kowa starts to fall behind the 85atx is right at those last light hours. The detail that you can see with the 85 is a little better than the kowa. I can see a leaf turning with the soft wind with the ATX a few minutes later than I can with the kowa. Is that few minutes worth a little more money? Completely up to you. The 95 and 115 have a much bigger advantage and that’s why I own those for my primary glass to hunt big deer. I need every advantage possible and I don’t care what it costs. I also keep the Leica but like I said it’s for very specific situational circumstances. (Kowa on the left and swaro 85 on the right)

Attachments

• 8EA74275-46E1-40CC-9CED-C4548452AE7A.jpeg
    8EA74275-46E1-40CC-9CED-C4548452AE7A.jpeg
    273.6 KB · Views: 109
  • A2791191-6258-4DED-9137-1CE1F55668E0.jpeg
    A2791191-6258-4DED-9137-1CE1F55668E0.jpeg
    264 KB · Views: 110
Kowa Prominar binos and spotters are the best kept secret in optics. Astonishing glass and top notch solid construction. I can only imagine what their market share would be if they had the same advertising budget as Sworovski.

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
Did Kowa step their game back up? I know their spotting scopes used to be hard to beat, but then they got passed up. I haven't looked through a Kowa in over 10 years now.

MattB

WKR
Source a Leica 62mm apo with the 32x (40x with the 77mm) wide angle. 33oz or so, and glass on par with all of those.
You'll thank me later.
Do you have one you could weigh? I won one with the variable eyepiece and loved the specs on paper, but seem to recall the body weighed 33 oz. and the eye piece was additional. And the Zoom eyepiece was right at one pound. The full package weights right about what my 80mm STS weighs.

I love going from Swaro to Kowa. From finding animals with my SLC 10's to getting a closer look with my TSN-773.

Ha! Sure do enjoy the view through both.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
@buffsmoker oh man this is one of the options I’m considering. I mostly backpack hunting so taking 3 pieces of glass isn’t ideal. I was considering 12 and then get a spotter down the road. For the money I’ve been leaning towards 10 slc and then get the kowa 77

I need a good spotting scope (though it might be a while before I can fit it in the budget). I guess my question is how usable is the top end magnification of the Kowa's compared to the Swaros? I have read enough to know I would want the 25-50x eye piece for the ATS 65, which if the Kowa TSN-553 is usable to the full 45x I don't see the point in a 20 ounce weight penalty for 50x.

The next question becomes, is the Kowa 773 useable to the full 60x? If it is, is it worth the 30 ounce weight penalty to move from 45x to 60x?

I hunt goats, want to hunt sheep. I have not used any quality spotting scopes, so I don't have the experience to know what I want. I do know that my current (cheap) scope lacks resolving power for fine details, making it close to worthless.

Kowa TSN-553
28.5 ounces
15-45x
$1799

Swaro ATS 65 HD
49.6 ounces
25-50x
$2418

Kowa 773
59.4 ounces
25-60x
$2249
Depends if you plan to glass with the 55. The FOV is really small which has really been only complaint. The 77 would be easier to glass with due to larger FOV.

Broomd

WKR
Do you have one you could weigh? I won one with the variable eyepiece and loved the specs on paper, but seem to recall the body weighed 33 oz. and the eye piece was additional. And the Zoom eyepiece was right at one pound. The full package weights right about what my 80mm STS weighs.
I don't have one physically here, I'm sure I have scale/weight pics somewhere, I'll look around. I do know that you'll not equal the weight of the angled (or straight) APO 62mm and fixed for alpha quality.
I know the little Kowa is nice, but for the money, nothing beats the vintage Leica APO series with the wide angle fixed e/p.
Here's a pic with the 26x,UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_16a9.jpg

MattB

WKR
I don't have one physically here, I'm sure I have scale/weight pics somewhere, I'll look around. I do know that you'll not equal the weight of the angled (or straight) APO 62mm and fixed for alpha quality.
I know the little Kowa is nice, but for the money, nothing beats the vintage Leica APO series with the wide angle fixed e/p.
Here's a pic with the 26x,View attachment 246935
The one I won was all black so maybe a newer version? I vividly remember looking at Outdoorsmans.com listing it at 33 oz. which got me excited. It wasn't until I received it and weighed it that I learned the marketing was misleading.

Depends if you plan to glass with the 55. The FOV is really small which has really been only complaint. The 77 would be easier to glass with due to larger FOV.
Agreed. I wouldn't trade my 554 for the world, but I scan with my binos and only use the scope to assess trophy quality. If I was going to actually glass with a scope, I would jump to a 774.
BTW, the 554 is crystal clear and absolutely usable all the way to 45X.

Who wins in the customer service department? I don't know anything about Kowas, I sent my Swarovskis in to repair an eyepiece and they replaced a whole invoice full of parts...including the lenses. I put their customer service as good as anyone I've ever dealt with. Powerpole being tied for first with them.

tdhanses

WKR
No way is the kowa 553/554 better then the ATS/STS 65 HD. The HD in the ATM model Swarovski is even better. Kowa is a pain to get a nice protective case and they really need one for their body. $120-$200 for a kowa case 553/554 case.
Only thing the little Kowa lacks to the 65 and 80 HD is FOV, it was good enough I sold my ATS 80HD, now I have both the 55 and 77 Kowa, the ATX is where swaro is better then the 55 and 77, in my experience after owning swaro and Kowa, also I’m only assuming the ATX is better as I haven’t looked through one.

Broomd

WKR
The one I won was all black so maybe a newer version? I vividly remember looking at Outdoorsmans.com listing it at 33 oz. which got me excited. It wasn't until I received it and weighed it that I learned the marketing was misleading.
Yes, the all-black is the 65mm APO, the newer incarnation of Leica's smaller objective spotter. The 65mm APO is a stellar piece of kit, but it is far heavier than the older grey 62mm APO. Comparatively that scope's a feather.

The 65mm and 82mm models are both due for replacement. I've heard rumors that Leica will unveil newer glass in the future....but that's rumor.

Broomd

WKR
Who wins in the customer service department? I don't know anything about Kowas, I sent my Swarovskis in to repair an eyepiece and they replaced a whole invoice full of parts...including the lenses. I put their customer service as good as anyone I've ever dealt with. Powerpole being tied for first with them.
Agreed, Swarovski wins in that department--- and against most any company of any kind in America.