Swaro v Vortex spotter opinion question

elkguide

WKR
It's called Alpha glass for a reason. In my opinion it would be either Kowa or Swarovski.

Call Doug at Cameraland 516-217-1000. Most helpful resource along with great prices.

OP
Consider this. You have the EL’s. Would you trade those down to a 12x50 Razor?

If you’re similar to me (and a lot of others) you’ll probably end up asking yourself this same question or wonder what you’re missing a year from now if you don’t buy the swaro.

This really drives the point home...no way I would trade my swaros for a razor. Just no way. I never thought of it this way. Thanks for making that point.

Thank you all for valuable input. It was really exactly what I was looking for and why I appreciate this forum so much. You all provided a lot of the specifics I was looking for. The issue really comes down to wanting a spotter now...which is why I was thinking I would pull the trigger on a vortex. In reality, deep down, I knew once I bought it I would have buyers remorse and then probably start saving for a swaro or kowa.

Im going to save my ass off for the next year and save to buy a spotter by the end of this year for AZ OTC in Jan. Its given me a lot of motivation to really hunker down and get something I've been thinking about buying for many many years. Appreciate you all for taking the time to provide help and assistance.

Tahoe1305

WKR
805, did you see my PM? Not selling anything just a suggestion on how you can have best of both worlds.

Eiden

FNG
I had the same situation a couple years back. I decided to go the vortex spotter. Looking back now I wish I had just bit the bullet and went with a swaro. I just got done upgrading to an ATX. I sold the vortex but I still lost a couple hundred dollars on it. Count your pennies and go with quality out of the gate. It will save you money in the long run.

TravKatQ

WKR
Go swaro 85 or 95! I’ve had vortex spotters before and once I made the switch to swaro spotters there was a significant difference in performance and especially at last light. Hunting A-zone here in Cali I would say you definitely need a spotter, I never leave home without mine! I see your in 805 area code I’m just over the hill in Coalinga, if you need a swaro to look through hit me up. -Travis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Personally I’d call cameralandny and see if they have any Meopta S2’s left for $1799. If they don’t I’d highly look at a Kowa 773. If you want the best get a Kowa 88 series or Swaro A/STX.

The Razor is a good scope to lose money on as you’ll upgrade from it as most do.

Yes, Cameraland still has that incredible deal on Meopta Meostar S2 demos for $1799 and I bought one today. I’d been shopping for a new spotter since last spring and this was way too good a deal on a top quality spotter to pass up. Compared them all side-by-side and to my eyes the Meostar S2 blew away the Vortex Razor and virtually all others up to the non rubber-armored Kowa 883 ($3200) or Swaro ATX 85/95 ($4500). At $1799 I was relieved/thrilled when Neil said they had a number of them left. Bought it on the spot.

Go with any of the true alpha glass.

I use my SLC 15s for glassing and then use my STX (65 or 95 depending on where I am hunting) to get confirmation or for judging.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Yes, Cameraland still has that incredible deal on Meopta Meostar S2 demos for $1799 and I bought one today. I’d been shopping for a new spotter since last spring and this was way too good a deal on a top quality spotter to pass up. Compared them all side-by-side and to my eyes the Meostar S2 blew away the Vortex Razor and virtually all others up to the non rubber-armored Kowa 883 ($3200) or Swaro ATX 85/95 ($4500). At $1799 I was relieved/thrilled when Neil said they had a number of them left. Bought it on the spot.

How does it compare to the Swaro tx 85?

The ATX is a better overall glass, but to my eyes it really wasn’t an instantaneous “wow“ difference. Don’t confuse the Meopta Meostar S2 with a Vortex or other Chinese made optic. It is a top-end spotter that deserves serious consideration even when comparing to best-hyped/selling alphas. Personally I really like the rugged design/components and the eyepiece choices - the 20-70 provides that extra reach to tell if that Ram is really legal, and the 30-60WA has been raved over by a number of industry professionals. On the other hand, the overall thoughtful design and build quality of the Swarovski are obvious. Optically, I thought the Swarovski provided a slightly better image, but the Meopta was not put to shame. Additionally those with more direct comparison experience than me thought the Meopta provided a more consistently crisp and bright image than the Kowa over varying lighting conditions.

Value was a consideration but price was not a restriction and I could have bought the Swarovski or any spotter I wanted. Feel the Meostar S2 was an incredible deal on a top-quality spotter and am very satisfied (unless mine is damaged or defective upon arrival). Doubt I‘ll be “paining” for an ATX at 3x the price or more. But if you’re someone who won’t be satisfied without the absolute best thing made no matter the cost, buy the Swarovski. I went that route on binoculars and after the same depth of study bought the Zeiss Victory SF 10x42s which to me was the absolute best of the alphas. But in that case I simply didn’t find anything significantly less expensive that closely rivaled the build and image quality.

If you’re looking for more comparison between the two here’s a link to an old thread on this very topic.

Last edited:

N2TRKYS

WKR
The ATX is a better overall glass, but to my eyes it really wasn’t an instantaneous “wow“ difference. Don’t confuse the Meopta Meostar S2 with a Vortex or other Chinese made optic. It is a top-end spotter that deserves serious consideration even when comparing to best-hyped/selling alphas. Personally I really like the rugged design/components and the eyepiece choices - the 20-70 provides that extra reach to tell if that Ram is really legal, and the 20-60WA has been raved over by a number of industry professionals. On the other hand, the overall thoughtful design and build quality of the Swarovski are obvious. Optically, I thought the Swarovski provided a slightly better image, but the Meopta was not put to shame. Additionally those with more direct comparison experience than me thought the Meopta provided a more consistently crisp and bright image than the Kowa over varying lighting conditions.

Value was a consideration but price was not a restriction and I could have bought the Swarovski or any spotter I wanted. Feel the Meostar S2 was an incredible deal on a top-quality spotter and am very satisfied (unless mine is damaged or defective upon arrival). Doubt I‘ll be “paining” for an ATX at 3x the price or more. But if you’re someone who won’t be satisfied without the absolute best thing made no matter the cost, buy the Swarovski. I went that route on binoculars and after the same depth of study bought the Zeiss Victory SF 10x42s which to me was the absolute best of the alphas. But in that case I simply didn’t find anything significantly less expensive that closely rivaled the build and image quality.

If you’re looking for more comparison between the two here’s a link to an old thread on this very topic.

Thank you for the info and your time in writing it up. I don't have any experience with either, so I try to lean on those whom do to try to steer me in my decision. I'm wanting to buy my first spotting scope. I'm wanting it for hunting, obviously, and also at the range. Dropping a couple of grand or more without being able to put my hands on them is nerve wrecking to say the least.

Thanks again for your time and info.

fwafwow

WKR
The ATX is a better overall glass, but to my eyes it really wasn’t an instantaneous “wow“ difference. Don’t confuse the Meopta Meostar S2 with a Vortex or other Chinese made optic. It is a top-end spotter that deserves serious consideration even when comparing to best-hyped/selling alphas. Personally I really like the rugged design/components and the eyepiece choices - the 20-70 provides that extra reach to tell if that Ram is really legal, and the 20-60WA has been raved over by a number of industry professionals. On the other hand, the overall thoughtful design and build quality of the Swarovski are obvious. Optically, I thought the Swarovski provided a slightly better image, but the Meopta was not put to shame. Additionally those with more direct comparison experience than me thought the Meopta provided a more consistently crisp and bright image than the Kowa over varying lighting conditions.

Thank you for the info and thorough post!

My buddies and I are going through these same decisions on a couple of new spotting scopes for a group trip. Swaro vs others. One (or all) of us is leaning towards the ATX, but a buddy in the group is looking at Zeiss Harpia, Leica APO-82 and Nightforce TS-82. I know (or believe, at least) that the NF isn't considered "alpha", but the complication for him is that he's in the sporting goods retail business and apparently can get discounts on all of those EXCEPT Swaro, so he's facing the same dilemma but with more options that are said to be much less than the ATX. (Don't quote me, but I think he gets about 30% off retail, and I don't know how many or which typically sell for below retail.)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
Dropping a couple of grand or more without being able to put my hands on them is nerve wrecking to say the least.

I completely agree. This for me is the hard part. Im a hands on guy and it drives me nuts to not be able to look through the glass I am going to buy...even if it is Swarovski. I just had a long conversation with Cody Nelson at GoHunt and he was very successful. They do offer "insider" pricing if you guys subscibe to GoHunt. That being said, I am going to move ahead with the STX w/85mm.

A follow up question I had for all of you is, is my tripod enough? I have a Slik Pro CF 634 with a Sirui VA 5 panhead...is this enough tripod to hold the STX/85 setup? It says it is (and Cody said it would be fine) but just was curious if anyone had specific experience with this particular setup.

Thanks as always all for the feedback.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I completely agree. This for me is the hard part. Im a hands on guy and it drives me nuts to not be able to look through the glass I am going to buy...even if it is Swarovski. I just had a long conversation with Cody Nelson at GoHunt and he was very successful. They do offer "insider" pricing if you guys subscibe to GoHunt. That being said, I am going to move ahead with the STX w/85mm.

A follow up question I had for all of you is, is my tripod enough? I have a Slik Pro CF 634 with a Sirui VA 5 panhead...is this enough tripod to hold the STX/85 setup? It says it is (and Cody said it would be fine) but just was curious if anyone had specific experience with this particular setup.

Thanks as always all for the feedback.

Since I don't have a spotter yet, I can't give you that specific experience. However, I have that exact tripod and head. I recently bought a PIG saddle for it. That tripod/head combo seems to handle the PIG saddle with my Remington Model Seven rifle on it. Surely, my rifle at 7 pounds weighs more than the spotter you're gonna buy. Fwiw, that's the spotter I'm leaning towards.

My buddies and I are going through these same decisions on a couple of new spotting scopes for a group trip. Swaro vs others. One (or all) of us is leaning towards the ATX, but a buddy in the group is looking at Zeiss Harpia, Leica APO-82 and Nightforce TS-82. I know (or believe, at least) that the NF isn't considered "alpha", but the complication for him is that he's in the sporting goods retail business and apparently can get discounts on all of those EXCEPT Swaro, so he's facing the same dilemma but with more options that are said to be much less than the ATX. (Don't quote me, but I think he gets about 30% off retail, and I don't know how many or which typically sell for below retail.)

All good scopes. Thought the Zeiss was just physically too big. BTW, the NF TS-82 is a Meopta Meostar S2 clone made by Meopta and re-badged for Nightforce. Here’s an old Rokslide review.

tdhanses

WKR

The Nightforce is the Meopta S2 FYI...Meopta makes it for them.

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider

I am looking at getting an ATX soon as well. I'm leaning toward the 65mm mostly due to packability and wanting absolutely no excuse not to bring it along.

That said, I have the exact tripod and head you mention. I currently have a Vortex Skyline ED which is almost exactly the same weight as the ATX/85. The tripod/head work good with my scope as long as I only have a couple of the legs extended on the tripod (like a sitting setup). The ATX should work even better since it's shorter than my setup. If the tripod is fully extended for standing, it's pretty wobbly. The head itself is more than sufficient. I know gohunt has a video where they have the BTX/95 on it.

I'm no expert, but that's my experience.

WRO

WKR
The wild card in this discussion is the BTX, once you run one, it's a game changer..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

pbcarch

WKR
The wild card in this discussion is the BTX, once you run one, it's a game changer..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Been really thinking about the btx vs going to a bigger bino. If you go 15x bino it seems you need to put it on tripod. If you have a spotter might as well adapt that . The btx weighs just as much as a big bino...

So how do you like it?
Why do you like it?
Any issues with one lense out put and the limit on FOV?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk