Swaro vs everything else Convince me

WRO

WKR
Not sure I agree completely but again comes back to our own eyes, for me CA control is great in the Geovids and they were super close to the SV EL’s optically, for you there was a big difference it sounds.
I've spent 75% of my binocular time behind 12x50s the last 5 years. So that's a pretty high bar to compare too.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
I've spent 75% of my binocular time behind 12x50s the last 5 years. So that's a pretty high bar to compare too.

I’m comparing 10x42’s, a comparable comparison, 2 years behind the swaro’s and 4 the geovids.

Last edited:
I haven’t had difficulty finding NL’s in configurations I’d consider, such as 8x32 and 10x42, haven’t browsed for any others. Haven’t looked for EL’s since I sold mine other then 8x32 and they seem easy enough to find.

Finding them in a store is a little different from being a store buying them from Swaro

tdhanses

WKR
Finding them in a store is a little different from being a store buying them from Swaro
But for those looking they are availalble or take a little waiting but they are available, most of us buy from some retail store, might have to look at a few first.

But for those looking they are availalble or take a little waiting but they are available, most of us buy from some retail store, might have to look at a few first.

You're missing the point.

Swaro has a months' long backorder getting product to dealers. Why would they be worried about selling another product when demand exceeds supply on their existing 42mm products?

WRO

WKR
I’m comparing 10x42’s, a comparable comparison, 2 years behind the swaro’s and 4 the geovids.
50s are better, better resolution and light gathering.

I couldn't get over the ca and yellowish tint.

I'm selling my el range ta's next. Rf binoculars aren't for me I guess.

Flogger

FNG
I was in a similar boat as the OP a couple years ago and ultimately I went with Swaro 10x42 EL’s over the other alpha glass companies because of customer service.

I really like my EL’s but to be honest I would have been happy with the performance of any alpha glass from any company. It’s the CS that tipped me towards Swaro

Jimss

WKR
I would put my Leica bino-rangefinder combo up against just about anything! Why buy a bino without a rangefinder? Mine are totally amazing! My days of lugging around both rangefinder plus binos is over!

conley417

Lil-Rokslider
I would put my Leica bino-rangefinder combo up against just about anything! Why buy a bino without a rangefinder? Mine are totally amazing! My days of lugging around both rangefinder plus binos is over!

I worry about something going wrong with the built in rangefinder or it becoming obsolete relatively soon.

Could be dumb fears though.

tdhanses

WKR
I worry about something going wrong with the built in rangefinder or it becoming obsolete relatively soon.

Could be dumb fears though.
Worst case if it fails in 10 years and can’t be repaired, you get a separate rangefinder. Leica has my geovids currently, should be back soon and they checked everything including the laser all covered under warranty. I sent them back for a focus issue but they went through the entire bino, it’s 5 years old.

I’ve not heard of anyones rangefinder in their bino failing, I’m sure it’s happened since the combo has been out a long time but I wouldn’t let that scare you away. As far as obsolete, well tech is changing quick, Leica and Zeiss seem to be adding the tech about every 2 to 3 years to their options and Swaro makes changes about every 10 years to theirs it feels. I have the HDB2200, it’s had a few version changes since I got it to the HDB3000 and 3200.com, I don’t feel what I have is obsolete and the HDB2200 has plenty of options I feel and really will provide ballistics info and yardage, do i need more in the end really.

I’ll never go back to separate either.

I’ll also say I’ve had great customer service from both Leica and Swaro, it’s been pretty equal for me.

The new Leica pro in 8x32 will probably be my next bino.

Last edited:

WRO

WKR
I’ve not heard of anyones rangefinder in their bino failing,

It happens a pretty often actually. Problem is that then you are out both your glasses and RF when their in for service. Nothing ever breaks at an opportune time.

tdhanses

WKR
It happens a pretty often actually. Problem is that then you are out both your glasses and RF when their in for service. Nothing ever breaks at an opportune time.
Well with proper planning anyone can have a backup rangefinder available as the binos still function if the RF doesn’t, send in after season. But true it could happen at any time, doubt you take a spare stand alone RF in the field, crap does happen no matter if the setup is built in or stand alone.

Some complain about the weight of RF binos yet seem to not take into consideration the weight of their stand alone unit which they usually also have in a pouch on their chest rig.

No setup is 100%. I will say out of me and two other buddies using Leica and Swaro RF, none of us have had a complete failure. When I did get my first Geovid it did have the cold temp issue but in the replacement that never was an issue. I had more issues with my Sig and Vortex RF’s I used previous to the Geovid.

Last edited:

WRO

WKR
Well with proper planning anyone can have a backup rangefinder available as the binos still function if the RF doesn’t, send in after season. But true it could happen at any time, doubt you take a spare stand alone RF in the field, crap does happen no matter if the setup is built in or stand alone.

Some complain about the weight of RF binos yet seem to not take into consideration the weight of their stand alone unit which they usually also have in a pouch on their chest rig.

No setup is 100%. I will say out of me and two other buddies using Leica and Swaro RF, none of us have had a complete failure. When I did get my first Geovid it did have the cold temp issue but in the replacement that never was an issue. I had more issues with my Sig and Vortex RF’s I used previous to the Geovid.

If you have to carry a back up Kestrel and Rf or ballistically capable RF, it doesn't justify giving up the optical quality.

I guess if you only Rifle hunt, then RF binos are a good choice. I don't like them for archery at all, way to bulky and I do not run tethers in my harness as I put my glass on a tripod a bunch. I run mine guiding, but beyond that I like other glasses better.

Jimss

WKR
Having a RF bino combo could be the difference in harvesting a critter or watching it run over the hill. It only takes me a matter of seconds to spot and range a critter. That alone is worth every penny. I will never go back to going back and forth between both a bino plus a rangefinder. It's SOOO sweet having them all in one! I definitely don't miss having both strapped around my neck!

Convince me not to buy swaro. It’s widely regarded that the NL pure is the best binocular but also the most expensive. The EL was widely considered the best binocular before the NL pure even with the Noctivid and the Victory SF on the market. I can see people not going for the NL pure based on price.. but now with the EL being $400-$500 less than the Zeiss and Leica why would you buy the Victory or Noctivid? In all reality I would love a nice piece of Leica glass but I just really can’t see the reason to spend $500 more. Any thoughts? Anyone compared the two or all three? I’ve watched plenty of videos and read reviews and they all seem to prefer the EL.

They pretty much already did but now it seems as if Swaro really has the bino industry by the balls with those 2 binoculars at those price points.
Wouldn't even dream of trying.

If even in the back of your mind you want them, and you can afford them, then get them. Because you will eventually anyway.

However, in birding circles, the Victory SF is still considered by most to be the superior optic.

JasonWi

WKR
I’ve owned 10x42 ELs since 2014, I’ve looked through all the previously mentioned glass except the NLs. To my eyes the Victory SF is the most impressive to look through and the colors are amazing.

It’s interesting how much difference the image colors, saturation, contrast appear to different people.

12s or 15s are an eventual purchase. But like roosiebull stated those 8s in either ELs or NLs are about perfect for hunting black tails

bpurtz

WKR
I’ve not heard of anyones rangefinder in their bino failing...

The new Leica pro in 8x32 will probably be my next bino.

I've owned 5 different Geovid models and haven't had any laser or optic failures. I do agree that the 10x42 Geovids were a bit bulky for archery so for a few years I carried 8x42 Ultravids and a separate Leica rangefinder - the new Geovid Pro 8x32 will replace that system...

I pick up some used el 10x42s a couple years ago on consignment at a local gun shop for $1k. By far the best money I ever spent and kick myself for not buying a pair even at full price 20 years ago. I’ve looked through leicas and others that I also liked, but I’m very happy with these and don’t foresee replacing them anytime soon. I don’t think you can really go wrong with any of the top shelf stuff, the best thing to do is try them out. I narrowed down my list to Leica and Swaroski and happened to find mine. Had I found some Leicas for that kind of deal I would’ve just got those. My buddy has a pair of the range finding Leicas that are cool but myself and others I know have had quality rangefinders fail so I have no interest in a combo unit, reminds me of those old tv vcr combos years ago that the vcr would inevitably break. I don’t need that hassle and if the extra couple seconds to grab the rangefinder means I don’t get a shot, chances are I probably never had a good shot anyway. Outdoorsman’s has some used high end stuff from time on their website if you don’t find something here. I figure unless they’re abused, used is the way to go, you can’t wear them out looking through them. Good luck!

Reactions: WRO