Swaro’s for Leupolds…am I nuts??

serorem

FNG
Looking for some opinions from guys that have used both swaro’s and Leupold rifle scopes. I currently own 3 swaro Z6i’s(5-30, 2- 3-18s). Recently I’ve been pondering selling these and buying some VX6’s. Main reason, I thinking I could get 4- VX6’s for the money. Plus I just love new toys. I’ve owned some VX3’s in the past and liked them. For the guys that have used both, is there a considerable drop off from the Swarovski’s to the Leupold’s as far as glass? I know swaro glass, I own EL Ranges and STX85/65, I just don’t know Leupold glass enough to make the jump. Am I nuts for even considering this?

marktole

WKR
If it was binos or a spotting scope, yes, you’d be insane to go to a pair of Leupold from Swaros.

For the riflescope though, I don’t think you’re crazy. The VX-6HD is an awesome scope for hunting. I have used mine quite a bit, but never used a Swaro scope. The glass in them is pretty good, probably not swaro good, but still really good.

jaredg

Lil-Rokslider
I own both. Depends on my mood and cost / availability when buying. I really like the lower power Leupolds for lightweight glass. Go above 8 power I feel the edge goes to Swaro for clarity. Go above 14-or 16 and I don't find it even close, Swaro all day. I feel the Swaro Z3 line might be one of the best values out there.

OP
serorem

serorem

FNG
I own both. Depends on my mood and cost / availability when buying. I really like the lower power Leupolds for lightweight glass. Go above 8 power I feel the edge goes to Swaro for clarity. Go above 14-or 16 and I don't find it even close, Swaro all day. I feel the Swaro Z3 line might be one of the best values out there.
Good to know on the higher magnification! Do you see much difference between the 2 in low light conditions?

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
Purely from a financial since seems like you’d be money behind selling a used scope for probably 500 less than you bought them for….

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Swaro binos and spotters have a well earned reputation and deservedly.

I find their riflescopes to be very lacking and feel they miss the mark big time. My brother has a Z5 that I wouldn’t take over a vortex-and I’m not a vortex fan. Poorest light transmission I’ve seen in a scope over a grand.

I made the move from a Swarovski Z5 to Leupold VX-6HD, have zero regrets, and much more confidence that the scope will work as designed at the moment of truth.

As Team4 said I also find Swarovski riflescopes lacking, especially for ruggedness/durability. In fact, multiple failures of my Z5 led me to convert to Leupold. I love the Z5 design, but on its maiden voyage to the range it was a “steamy“ summer morning and the scope internally fogged - SONA fixed it under warranty, but gave me the 3rd degree about it. It worked fine for several years and a bunch of hunts, then it suddenly failed to hold zero. I hadn’t remounted and only subjected it to hunting. However, SONA said that I had damaged it and made me pay for the repair. It now works, but multiple unexplained failures with the same scope (never happened to me before/since with any optic). In addition, a more recent negative SONA experience on an SLC binocular repair sealed the deal. Switched to Leupold and am so far very happy - after several hunts no failures or issues, they are bright and crisp, and track as designed. We put far too much time and money into hunts to take chances on optics, and Swarovski really needs to pay much greater attention to QA and service. Have recently noticed an uptick in reported SW product and service issues. Know we are in a global supply and talent shortage, but with SW prices anything less than reliably stellar performance is unacceptable.

YMMV - but the above are my actual experiences with Swarovski riflescopes and SONA warranty service.

Putting my money where my mouth is - buy the Leopold, sight it in, and then worry about what boots to bring and how to lighten the load in your backpack.

There’s plenty of stuff to break in a scope and leupold has done me well in the warranty department a couple times. From what I’ve heard and I have no first hand knowledge of this, swaro warranty is less than great. I use Swaro binos and leupold scopes myself I like both but have never tried a swaro scope…

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Agree with all. I had a couple z5s and My VX-5s and VX-6s gave up nothing to them. Same with Zeiss. I’m 100% Leupold rifle scopes and am done looking for others.