Swaros or mavens?

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
Here is a link to a review Aron Snyder did on optics in the $1k range if you are looking in that range.

Optics Review Part 1 - Kifaru International

This review really sold it for me, especially pouring over tons of other reviews and watching some digiscoped videos shot with the Maven's. I just couldn't bring myself to spend the money on the Swaro's. I could have swung it, but it would have been literally the only thing I got for this season. Now I can upgrade just about all my other pertinent gear for my upcoming hunts. 10 years of abuse on my current gear is really showing.

Fellas the swaro hd slc can be had new for $1400 or at least in last 6 months. They hold the value like no other optic. Try to resell a maven and see how big your pool of buyers is. There is no comparison. The cabelas euro hd is close in glass but is heavier and not as comfortable in hand. Also less on resale end. Swaro for easy win especially if cost is not issue. What’s $400 over 15 years?

dotman

WKR
Yeah that Maven spotter was in the classifieds for awhile and sold for pretty cheap.

TravKatQ

WKR
There’s a pair of Slc 10x42 in classifieds right now, great price and great glass. Swaro for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fellas the swaro hd slc can be had new for $1400 or at least in last 6 months. They hold the value like no other optic. Try to resell a maven and see how big your pool of buyers is. There is no comparison. The cabelas euro hd is close in glass but is heavier and not as comfortable in hand. Also less on resale end. Swaro for easy win especially if cost is not issue. What’s $400 over 15 years?

This ^^^^ exactly

I have no qualms buying from one of these new start up optical companies and taking the chance that they will still be here when/if I needed the warranty, but not at Maven's prices. I'm just not going to take that big of a leap of faith to save a couple hundred bucks up front. For me, Maven is about 25% overpriced. And it has nothing to do with the quality of their optics. YMMV

Meopta just dropped their prices on Binos to Maven level, I'd go that route if that was my price range. Look at what happened to Zen Ray. At one time they were gonna take over the optics world, at Half the price of a Maven.

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
This ^^^^ exactly

I have no qualms buying from one of these new start up optical companies and taking the chance that they will still be here when/if I needed the warranty, but not at Maven's prices. I'm just not going to take that big of a leap of faith to save a couple hundred bucks up front. For me, Maven is about 25% overpriced. And it has nothing to do with the quality of their optics. YMMV

Meopta just dropped their prices on Binos to Maven level, I'd go that route if that was my price range. Look at what happened to Zen Ray. At one time they were gonna take over the optics world, at Half the price of a Maven.

Maven will be in the same spot Zen-Ray is now in with in a few years IMHO.

Ronb

WKR

I don’t think the euro is as close as allot of people say. I bought the euros for my son for $500 from the Cabelas bargain bin. They are very nice. BUT!!! My son was constantly grabbing my Swaro slc hd’s this last season. There’s is quite a noticeable difference when your spending lots of time in the field, looking at animals under different lighting situations. We both can say the swaros are quite a bit better.

Firehawk

WKR
If money wasn't an issue, Swaro would be my choice too. Unfortunately, money does matter and i weighed out the plethora of $800-$1000 binos when I was making my decision. I chose my Maven B2 over the Conquest HD, Razor HD, Leica Trinovid HD and the Leica Duovids that I owned when making my choice. To me, the Mavens were terrific! I thought that they were hands down better than the Conquests and were really close to the Swaro SLCs that I knew i couldn't afford.

Sold my Duovids and got my Mountain bike. So for me, it was a great sale and choice.

ElkNut1

WKR
Make sure your Binos are properly Focused before making comparisons!

Most of us own a pair of Binos, are yours properly focused? You may respond with of course, I simply focus the the center focus wheel! This is how most do this but there's a step some may be missing! Here's something to consider!

When Binos are not properly focused per eye one of your eyes may be trying to constantly focus while the other is OK. Your brain does this focusing automatically for anything we may be looking at. Focus your binos properly & it can make glassing much more enjoyable & clear!

When comparing Binos or Focusing your own pair, first put them up to your eyes, now close right eye & leave left eye open, use focus wheel in center of bino & focus until left eye is perfectly clear. Once done close left eye & open your right eye & now focus that eye with your Diopter focus wheel. Some are located on the eye piece itself & others may be near the center focus wheel but this focus only effects your right eye piece. When done lock in the Diopter focus wheel so it doesn't move. With this done you can now use your center focus wheel as needed at varying distances! It's very important that your LEFT eye is focused first NOT your right eye!

Your center focus wheel will focus both eyes as best as is possible once the above step is done. The Diopter wheel only focuses your right eye this is why this is such an important step to get the most out of any Bino! When comparing Binos in Store this focusing of both eyes first before making comparisons is the only real way to see which bino is best for you or your budget!

ElkNut/Paul

Ronb

WKR
The bins that are being considered are all excellent and a very good value. I own a pair of swaro el 8.5’s. It has been a 15 year process of upgrading and swapping binos. I have enjoyed all the bins along the way. That $800 to $1000 bin is probably the overall best bang for your buck. After that, the cost is big for small improvements. I highly recommend looking to ebay for deals on bins and scopes. My swaro bins and scope were both bought off ebay with slight damage, which I regestered and sent in to swaro for free repair. Ats hd 65 scope with grease spot in eyepiece for $1175. My el swarovision had a lens scratch and I got them for $1350. New is overrated. Like new and cheap is where its at. Be patient. There’s a ton of deals out there.

Rockey

FNG
I finally pulled the trigger on EL's, knowing that this was the last binocular I would ever buy most likely. I contemplated Maven's and Razors and the like, but knew I would always wonder and potentially end up with EL's or the new Zeiss SF's (which are outstanding BTW, if you haven't looked through them you need to make the time). So I waited and bought the EL's and now know I probably will never need another pair, versus always shopping around and wondering if I should upgrade assuming I would have bought the Maven's or Razors. Its a hard choice and costly no doubt, but the peace of mind I have now is worth it, "buy once cry once" as they say. No need to always be wasting time considering upgrading glass now! If it's feasible than at least think long and hard about the "best you can afford" because buying Maven's, and then either keeping them or selling them and losing money is $1000-$1300 that you could have spent toward Swarovski or Zeiss that now you essentially lose, so you are spending $2500 + $1000 = $3500 for top notch glass, versus $2500 and getting the same product in the end.

JP100

WKR
Swaro or Leica

There is a reason why everyone compares their product to these, they are the best, always have been and always will be.

Ive seen older guys with 20-30 year swaros and Leicas(some even older) and they are still good.
Where will Maven be in 50 years??

If you have the money there is no reason not to get the best?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Maven will be in the same spot Zen-Ray is now in with in a few years IMHO.

Can you tell my how you came to this conclusion? I know you looked at them at a show and don’t like them. But lots of people including myself think they are fantastic and yes I am friends with the owners... but truthfully I have friends with about ten different optics companies. But I let my eyeballs tell me what I like... not friendships. Under 1500 bucks those B2 are damn hard to beat! That’s in the field testing with other binoculars not at a show. But if money is no option, I’m taking the 12 ELs every time!

Bacwest

FNG
I have also been trying to decide. I took the mavens outside near dusk and was really impressed, also all the reviews and testing ive read say they're pretty much the same binoculars with miniscule difference s. If I was you I would take advantage of Mavens demo program and compare the 2 side by side. You may find the Mavens to work better for you. Or vice versa. No guessing when you're spending a lot of hard earned cash.

Wow sounds like Swarovski hands down. Thanks guys! Looks like after a few other things are purchased I’ll be saving for some Swarovski binos

"wow", really. What did you expect? They are at the top. I got a pair of Mavens as a test. Compared them to some $350 Eagle Optics HD house brand and they were not enough of an upgrade to keep.