Swarovski 10x42 EL’s have scratches on the objectives: Will these affect performance?

JustinPNW

FNG
Hey all,

I bought a pair of Swaro 10x42 EL’s recently in the classifieds. They were advertised as scratch-free, but upon inspecting them when I received them in the mail, they have several scratches on the objectives.

I don’t want this to turn into a thread flaming me or the seller (he will remain anonymous). I believe it was an honest oversight and he and I will figure something out one way or another.

My questions are as follows:

1. Will these scratches affect performance?

2. Will Swaro be willing to replace the objectives and if so, how much should I expect to pay?

See below for the images of the scratches and let me know what you all think I should do here.

Left objective with spots in the center that appear to be nicks or pokes. I know this looks like dust, but it is not. Also, you can see the linear scratch near the bottom.
943f05638e2d12e9ff7f73589a7a2729.jpg

Right objective with two linear scratches.
b4d7f0575b330e3e92fadc2af4a7f3f0.jpg

Another one of the right objective showing the worse of the two linear scratches more closely.
98c329dad7fcb6c77fa7993de03fcb7c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
You should be able to see if they are an issue when you look through them but if so swaro replaces lenses, think most have said swaro charges $75 a lens.

You could always email swaro with the serial number and pics above and see what they say.

Those are field pros, so lens replacements are 100 / lens instead of 75.

A minor scratch on an objective (which these are) won't have any impact on your clarity through the bino.

OutdoorAg

WKR
Agree with others. Zero impact on view quality. You’ll never see them. No drop in performance. Only hiccup is resale if you decide to move them later down the line.

OP
J

JustinPNW

FNG
Thanks to all for the responses. You confirmed what I had suspected.

I figured the linear scratches wouldn’t make a difference, but the pockmarks in the center of the FOV on the left objective were what were really bothering me.

I’ll spend some more time behind them to make sure I can’t see anything, but I will likely just keep them at this point.

The resale does concern me, so I may just get acquainted with them a bit and then send them to Swarovski to get the lenses replaced.

tdhanses

WKR
This is a great idea. I think I may just do this…

Do I need to have them reregistered in my name before they’ll talk to me?

Yes but it’s silly people don’t do this, if the prior owner registered them they’ll just call to make sure of the transfer

Scratches on an objective are about surface area. Scratches on the ocular are about position.

A large scratch on the edge of an ocular that isn't deep? Doesn't really matter, but it would matter on an objective.

A small scratch on the center of an objective? Doesn't matter at all, but will destroy the view on an ocular.

Brooks

WKR
I just sent my 12x50 EL’s in to Swarovski for some maintenance and received an email from them letting me know there were some scratches on the lens. Here’s what Swarovski had to say about it…………………

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to be of service to you. We have received and evaluated your EL 12 X 50 BINOCULAR based on the reported problem(s). The reported issues will be repaired free of charge, under warranty coverage. After close examination of your product, we would like to make you aware that we’ve found cosmetic wear on the body or lenses of your product as noted below. These blemishes are not affecting the optical performance or clarity of your product at this time; however, any scratches to a lens surface coating can eventually lead to direct exposure of the glass surfaces to damage over time. We are offering you the opportunity to have the cosmetic issues noted below repaired while your product is here undergoing service.

Our technicians note the following cosmetic wear on your product:

“Standard clean and check will be conducted under warranty coverage. Please Note: Swarovski Optik technicians are very thorough and do a full evaluation of your product in addition to checking the deficiencies you’ve asked us to look at. We do this to ensure you receive back the highest optical clarity and quality that is expected out of your product. Examination reveals both objective lenses are cosmetically scratched. Replacement of these lenses is strictly optional as the scratches don't affect optical clarity. The cost to replace both lenses will be $250.00 Cosmetic Repairs are not recommendations. We are merely making you aware of a cosmetic blemish so that you know that we did our due diligence and checked all the scratches. Replacement of the lenses is not mandatory and replacement is of your own choosing. Please contact customer service at the number below to let us know how you'd like to proceed. The repair time of your product is affected by how fast we receive your response. If you decide to proceed please have a Visa or MC ready at the time of the call. If you only wish to proceed with warranty service, that is completely fine please either reply to this email and let us know or give us a call. If we don't receive a response this service order will continue to process 7 days from now.”

Additional state sales taxes may apply to the costs quoted above.

Please note this estimate only contains costs for cosmetic lens wear/replacement(s) or other cosmetic issues which are not repairable under warranty coverage and the reported product issue is being repaired under warranty coverage. Please also note that your immediate response is needed so we can return your product as soon as possible. We will wait 7 days from the delivery of this email to begin servicing your product without performing the lens replacements offered above if we don’t hear from you. Please note if after 7 days you wish to perform the lens replacement we will do our best to coordinate this with our repair department prior to returning your product to you.

If you would like to approve this lens replacement estimate please contact customer service at 800-426-3089 option 1 at your earliest convenience. Please have a Visa or Mastercard ready at the time of the call.

Thank you for having chosen Swarovski Optik for your sport optic needs.

Best Regards,

Your Swarovski Optik Repair Team

Ben RT

Lil-Rokslider
I bought some used Swarovski SLC 15 x 56 HDs a couple years ago that arrived with very scratchedd objective lenses. It looked like the previous owner just swirled around the dirt with a dry rag to try and clean it. Due to the amount of scratching all over (although very light) the binos had a view more similar to what I'd expect from a $200 bino. I have an unscratched set now (same model) and it's vastly different. As said above, a couple of deep (but small) scratches probably won't be noticed. A ton of light scratches would make it seem dim and fuzzy

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
J

JustinPNW

FNG
Awesome insight, guys! Thanks a bunch. I sent an email to Swaro to get their take on it and will respond back with the results.

Ucsdryder

WKR
That’s a tough one. Depending on how old they were, the wording of the ad, and the price I think some kind of compensation is due. It could be splitting the cost of repairs or paying for the repairs assuming they’re around that 250 mark.

That’s a tough one. Depending on how old they were, the wording of the ad, and the price I think some kind of compensation is due. It could be splitting the cost of repairs or paying for the repairs assuming they’re around that 250 mark.

The pair you're referencing are 50s. His 42s are going to be 100/lens (plus state sales tax if applicable)