Swarovski 12x50 EL Swarovision

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
So after much debate, I sold my 10x42 EL Range Binoculars and bought another pair of these. Thats right, I had these at the beginning of the year and sold them to buy the EL Range. I loved my 12x50's before but the thought of the built in rangefinder was so appealing.

This is what the problem was for me. I was hesitant about the 33 yards as the minimum, but could overlook it if everything else was perfect. The range button on the left was not an issue, as you could easily use your right hand only and hit the button. Here lies the problem.....The rangefinder measures in meters, then a conversion is done and displayed in yards if you have yards as your display choice. The downfall to the conversion process, is there are several yardages it could never display due to this and it was not as accurate because of this.

I took a 300' tape to the range and used the EL Range at every ten yards past 35 out to 100 yards. I could stand in the same spot at say 50 yards and get 48, 50 or 52 yards and not move from my spot. Using my Nikon Archers Max, I would get 50.2, 50.6 or 49.4 almost always within a half yard. I also checked the angle compensation and at a 16 degree down hill angle at 50 yards, it would read all the same as above, 48, 50 and 52. At that angle and distance the cut is just under 2 yards. But because of this conversion process it always showed the cut at 1 yard no matter what, I am guessing because it doesn't round up the equation. My Nikon on the other hand showed the cut between 1.8 and 2.0 every time. I also found that on dark back grounds the EL Range always read a couple yards long, but ranging something on a light background right next to it, showed a closer reading. In comparison, the Nikon could care less about the lighting and was fairly true all the time.

Reality, for rifle hunting it doesn't matter and probably even for bowhunting, 2 yards is not going to make a miss. But 2 yards and 2 yards on the angle, making 4 could make a miss depending on the initial distance.

So the 12x50 are back around my neck with the Archers Max nearby. The 12x50 I personally think is Swarovski's best piece of glass overall for my hunting style, but $hit I really wanted the EL Range to work out.

It also cost me about $200 for this little experiment between buying and selling and buying again.

BuckSnort

WKR
Pretty good info right there.. I think you did good for only loosing $200 on that experiment, considering the cost of the optics...

ckleeves

WKR
Thats great info thanks! Kinda weird that Swaro seems to have a few issues with their range finding products. Their laser guide or whatever the rangefinder was called had a few quirks also (at least the one I used). Still love their other optics!

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did, I had them for about 3 weeks. I used several batteries as they would run down. The rangefinder was fast, but no angle compensation. I think zeiss' rangefinder in swaro optima with angle compensation would be perfect.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah - I'm with you... I was soooooo pumped for the EL Range, then after they came out I realized they missed the boat on a few very critical items.

I just checked out the Leupold 1000 TBRi - seems like a really nice unit. Excellent glass and great display compared to the Nikon. Also seems to be a very small diameter laser that will shoot through small holes and pickup the object behind - also will filter out interference like grass (or fishing pole display at Cabelas) to pick up the solid object behind. $399.

I had issues with the older Leupold TBR rangefinders - the engineers did not understand archery ballistics, but it seems this new model may have a more standard horizontal distance program in it. Downfall is the cuts only work to 125 yards in archery mode. Beyond that I believe it just gives straight line distance - unless you go to rifle mode. I never have understood why they don't have a geometric mode instead of hold over or MOA in those things for rifles. STUPID IMO... Still might be one of the better ones on the market. I definitely should reserve that statement until I test it outdoors on some steep cuts. In-store it seemed to function properly. I had errors up to 4.5 yards on the old RXIV that I tested.

Coop