Swarovski 12x50 EL vs. Leica Duovid 8-12x42

Looking to upgrade my optics for an upcoming sheep hunt.

Will also be used for Montana elk hunts, maybe deer on the plains.

Currently have a Leupold 6x32 Katmai and 8x42 Kahles.

Use the Katmai for treestand bow hunts, Kahles for out west.

Thinking of selling the Kahles to offset the new binos.

The Leicas are a do it all type of bino, should do well out west, in AK, and in a tree.

Swaros are more suited for AK, elk.

Thoughts?

idig4au

WKR
The 12x50 EL’s are magical on a tripod. I seem to see more with this setup than with my Swaro 15x56’s. However i can’t hold them steady off hand.

For sheep hunting up north, I would be more inclined to stick with something in the 10x power range as more versatile.

I don’t have experience with Leica optics...just Swaros.

I would go with the ELs over the Duovids 100%. The glass in the duovids is not there HD or hd+ it’s the same glass as the ultravid BRs. They are also pretty heavy..... I would go with Leica ultravid 12x50 hd+ or the Els

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I love my Duovids but they ARE heavy. I would not take them on a Dall sheep hunt. I wouldn’t take 12 ELs either. I would take my 10x42 ELs; Dall sheep aren’t that hard to spot and I would always prefer my spotter than a bigger, heavier binocular than my 10s.

tdot

WKR
The 12x El's have such a wide field of view, that I barely notice a drop in FOV when I switch between my 8x and 12x. Once I realized this, my interest in the Duovids stopped.

I also didnt like the ergonomics as much, also I felt that the weight would have effected handholding at 8x, which was the only benefit that I could see.

OP
NYRifleman
Guide will have a spotter, told me no need to bring my own.

The 10x42 EL are on my radar as well.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Guide will have a spotter, told me no need to bring my own.

The 10x42 EL are on my radar as well.

YMMV. My guide for the Stone in my avatar had spotter; a Bushnel...we used my Zeiss. I don’t care what they tell me I’m taking MY spotting scope.

In the NWT on a Dall hunt in 2017, all the guides in camp had 10x42 binos and 20-60x65mm Swaron spotters as I remember. (Am sure on the spotters, and not 100% sure on the guide's. binos. My guide used a pair of Leica 10x42 Geovid Perger prism style binos for sure.

This combo of bino size/power and spotting scope works very well and are what I use sheep hunting down in BC as well.

I tried the 8-12 duovids and was not terribly impressed. At 8 power the FOV was barely better than my 10x42s. At 12x there was not enough extra detail compared to the 10x42 to justify the whole thing. That being said I love my 10-15 duovids. Whole different story there but also