Swarovski 12x50 ELs Vs 12x42 NLs

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
First, lets see what the birding community has to say about the NL's as they have the best knowledge and experience of comparing real world differences with alpha glass.

I used to buy into this stereotype. Lately though, I think it is the opposite. Serious hunters put their glass to hard use in the most demanding of conditions. That goes for conditions that demand top optical performance and durability. There are plenty of hunters that have an eye for optical evaluation and the income necessary to shop the top shelf, too. In fact I would estimate the hunting optics market has definitely shifted to higher priced products over the last ten years. Look at the hunter interest in the NLs.

One issue I see with the NL is the lack of support at the end of the barrels.

Is this a speculative concern? Hunting for the past 3 days with the NLs, I have no concerns about the single bridge design (although it seems more like a double bridge with the focus wheel in the middle). These are a very sturdy feeling binocular in the hand.

coues32

WKR
I used to buy into this stereotype. Lately though, I think it is the opposite. Serious hunters put their glass to hard use in the most demanding of conditions. That goes for conditions that demand top optical performance and durability. There are plenty of hunters that have an eye for optical evaluation and the income necessary to shop the top shelf, too. In fact I would estimate the hunting optics market has definitely shifted to higher priced products over the last ten years. Look at the hunter interest in the NLs.

Is this a speculative concern? Hunting for the past 3 days with the NLs, I have no concerns about the single bridge design (although it seems more like a double bridge with the focus wheel in the middle). These are a very sturdy feeling binocular in the hand.
Are you gonna give us some insight on the performance? Some of us are still waiting for then to ship🤣

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe, the NLs are that good! Once you look thru them, you are SPEECHLESS!

I’m not being cagey. It is just too early to put out any comparative conclusions yet. I don’t want to just put some “fluff” out there.

If you are wondering if these $3100 binoculars from Swarovski are any good, I will save you the suspense though:

Yeah, they’re pretty freakin’ good.

Sako300

WKR
I read on some bird forum, where they mentioned the construction of the Swarovski NL is more vulnerable to breakage and misalignment? Something about the barrel configuration? Do they test these binoculars for a stress test? Like they do with optical scopes (Nightforce, Leupold, etc......). I’d hate to be in the back country and have something go wrong. I’m not bashing them. Was just curious on what part of the construction makes them more prone to be knocked off?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I read on some bird forum, where they mentioned the construction of the Swarovski NL is more vulnerable to breakage and misalignment? Something about the barrel configuration? Do they test these binoculars for a stress test? Like they do with optical scopes (Nightforce, Leupold, etc......). I’d hate to be in the back country and have something go wrong. I’m not bashing them. Was just curious on what part of the construction makes them more prone to be knocked off?

That is just speculation based on the fact that the NL does not have the EL’s double (open) bridge.

Swarovski’s engineers have undoubtedly done durability evaluation and testing on the NL, and are confident in it.

Having used the NL, it is quite solid-feeling, and the hinge is robust. While some will speculate that the single bridge is a weakness, I will speculate this will be a non-issue.

On the bright side, look at the opportunity now to get into the now " inferior" el and slc lines at a reduced price. This is a win win for hunters who now can get into the swarovski line who might not have been able to afford it before.
Except Swarovski isn't discounting the 12x50... only the 10 and 8x.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Update:

The smoke situation in my area has made detailed optical comparisons ... well ... impossible. The forecast calls for improving conditions this weekend though, so I have fingers crossed.

I have been told I may get a headrest to add to the testing. I hope so. When switching between handholding the 12x NLs and 10x competitors I can still get noticeably steadier with 10xs both handholding and grasping the bill of my hat.

BenHankins

Lil-Rokslider

I’m just going to say this... I trust Matt over some Bernie Sanders voter who is in their 50’s and still attending college. Lol I’m just messing with you. But seriously all these people like these birders, they really know their stuff. Kind of rubs me, like hunters have two eyes and a brain the same as them. Hunters are having to pick apart big country trying to find something that blends in while birders are usually walking down some cart path viewing birds. Ive got my NL pure 12’s on the way and really looking forward to them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR

Not to mention Swarovski has manufactured the SLC's for 30+ years which have a more similar bridge design. Much to do about nothing IMO....

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

I agree. I spend more on optics than my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unoboats

WKR
Classified Approved
@Matt Cashell will be doing a review comparing these two binoculars.

***Update 11/15/20*** Matt's review is available here.

Matt will be way more technical than I am but I have been using the 12 ELs for the last five years and had the 12 NLs on a recent mule deer hunt. Here are a few things I notice. The NLs FOV is WIDE and usable to the very edge, it's almost too much. You will instantly fall in love with the ergonomics and size of these binoculars, they just fit, making it much easier to handhold over the 12 ELs. The 12 NLs do seem to be a little more eye box critical than the 12 ELs. I also think the 12 ELs might give you a little more low light performance. That would be expecting with a 50mm objective. But not enough to matter in hunting scenarios. I didn't have the forehead rest. I will try to get that for Matt's review.

I believe the bigger the usable FOV the more animals you spot. The 12 NLs give you 39' more at 1000 yards or the 12 ELs.

3d416fea5651f624e7c299cbb123bbac.jpg

10x42 ELs vs 12x42 NLs

9f48225333842f0c20f356b6591632e8.jpg

The outdoorsman’s stud screws in.

915f136100aa5d1dfb525360cb023d03.jpg

It helps you find good bucks. :)
Im waiting on the 18x-20x NL Pures, lol