Swarovski 12x50 ELs Vs 12x42 NLs

JGRaider

WKR
Reading about it is a far cry from being in the field doing it. I've done it many times.

My apologies to the OP, as I didn't intend to derail the thread. I'm quite certain the NL's are the finest binocular the world has ever seen. How much better remains to be seen.

I'm on boards with NLs 12x. Haven't pulled the trigger just yet. To me, it makes absolute sense to get the best glass you can afford. One thing is guaranteed t/o your hunting career and that is diminishing visual acuity with time. For that reason alone I am willing to pay extra for top tier glass.

You will spot more game especially in Western landscapes. Clear glass is more enjoyable to hand hold and sit behind for long glassing sessions. I have noticed significantly less eye strain with my SLCs. All of which equates to more time behind the glass and more game spotted which will give you more opportunities. The more you practice the better you get.

IMO, get the best nocs you can afford because it is a piece of the puzzle to becoming a better hunter.

After I used my SLCs in the field it was an eye opening experience. I know they're not ELs or NLs but a huge upgrade for me. Zero regrets on the cost. I'm sure I will feel similar with the NLs as well.

ianpadron

WKR
On the bright side, look at the opportunity now to get into the now " inferior" el and slc lines at a reduced price. This is a win win for hunters who now can get into the swarovski line who might not have been able to afford it before.

That's what I'm banking on LOL

eltaco

WKR
Interested in seeing how the NL 10x42 compares to EL 10x50 (which I have). I tested 12x50 ELs and learned 12x isn’t for me. Love the brightness and increased FOV on the EL 50s, and would be interested to see how the NL compares on those aspects.

Not sure I see the benefits on paper of the EL vs the NL in 12x The physics are still on the side of the EL being a better low light performer with that 50mm obj. The NLs will have an exit pupil of 3.5mm....and the ELs are about 4.2mm...compared to most pupils in low light at 5mm... the ELs are going to be a brighter bino. The improvement in the field of view sounds nice...but not if its a darker image during prime time.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have the NLs in hand.

Frankly, I thought the ergonomics changes looked gimmicky, but I was wrong.

Now if I could just get my hands on the forehead rest...

6eeb3bb26cfaf0570111e44ecf45f0a7.jpg

JGRaider

WKR
The birder-dudes over on birdforum are reporting that there are some glare issues with the 10x. What do your eyes tell you about this?

Sako300

WKR
I’m on the waiting list for the first returned pair of 12x NLs at a discounted price!🤞

Sako300

WKR
For your guys testing, if you could put either a large shed of a mule deer buck or Elk shed in a bush, or tree (800-1000) yards away. Or even a euro mount of either where some of the horns are a bit visible and compare the EL 12xs or the 15xs SLC HDs. Put all three or 2 next to each other on a tripod and tell me which one can make out the most detail until pure dark. I’m not worried about FOV, because most of my glassing is done on a tripod with SLOW panning.

coues32

WKR
For your guys testing, if you could put either a large shed of a mule deer buck or Elk shed in a bush, or tree (800-1000) yards away. Or even a euro mount of either where some of the horns are a bit visible and compare the EL 12xs or the 15xs SLC HDs. Put all three or 2 next to each other on a tripod and tell me which one can make out the most detail until pure dark. I’m not worried about FOV, because most of my glassing is done on a tripod with SLOW panning.
When the 12nls show up can line up all 3, patiently waiting.....

cbeard64

WKR
I don’t carry a 50mm objective binocular and never will. I personally know very few who do, especially outside the Coues world.
For sheep and goats I do as the vast majority do and carry a regular sized handheld (currently 10x42 ELs) and a spotting scope. Low light situations are a non-issue for sheep and goats. (And not super often for elk, mule deer or pronghorn, for that matter.)
The purpose for me getting the NL is to upgrade my handheld, not take the place of a 50mm 12x or 15x.
The NLs will be a nice upgrade for me based on the specs and ergonomics alone when compared to my current 10x42s.

But if I gain most of the benefits of having a 50mm 12x or 15x without any of the added weight and bulk - that’ll be a nice bonus.

Sako300

WKR
I typically carry the lightest, nicest 50-56 mm Bino harnesses. Soo many now to mention but they do help with the weight. Which power I choose depends on terrain! I actually hand hold the 10x50,12x50 more steadier then a light 26-27 oz 10x42. And on a tripod they have served me well. If the NL proves to be the ultimate ground between the 10,12, and 15 I might sell all three and move on to them once they are established and I can sell some of my other binoculars! For now, for my elk and deer hunting has started and I will use the 50mm and 56mm. Good luck!

Sako300

WKR
I also like to use the brim of my hunting cap to help hold the 50’s or any binoculars steadier!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
The birder-dudes over on birdforum are reporting that there are some glare issues with the 10x. What do your eyes tell you about this?

I took a quick look at sunset with the NLs and ELs. They seemed to handle glare under that extreme situation similarly: the image had reduced contrast, but I was still able to see detail. If you have your eyes well within the eye relief, glare is minimized.

I will look into this further when I do some more controlled, tripod-mounted testing.

First, lets see what the birding community has to say about the NL's as they have the best knowledge and experience of comparing real world differences with alpha glass. For most people, its really really hard to SEE the differences as many really don't know what to look for. Many of the latest models differences can only be deciphered on engineering papers or by computer analysis which means absolutely nothing to the viewer. Is a 1 or 2% optical improvement in alpha glass worth the extra $1000 in price when the human eye cant see it? For 99.9% of the purchasers, likely not. Is better FOV worth it? Perhaps. One issue I see with the NL is the lack of support at the end of the barrels. Not good. For a birder, hiker or tourist who handle their glass kind of tenderly it wouldn't matter. For a hunter, its a big deal. Drop the bino or fall on them etc and you are likely to knock the barrels out of alignment rendering them useless until you send them back to the factory for repairs. It very well could ruin your day or hunt. Some of the very latest of the 3 alpha glass lines have zero end of barrel support and I feel they are ok with it as 90% of their top end lines of glass go to birders, hikers and tourists and they don't really worry about the 10% going to hunters and therefore its not an issue to them. It is to me and I will keep my EL's. Time will tell.