Swarovski 15x around your neck?

I have a pair of Swaro SLC 15x. Is it stupid to think about these as an around your neck binocular for mountain hunting? Should I be purchasing a pair of 10x and carry both? I would love to get away with just one.

I keep my 15s in my pack with the tripod and wear 8s or 10s. Besides being heavy and hard to hold steady, the fov is smaller than i like for hand-holding.

I would find them hard to use off hand. Lack of view and magnification would be frustrating for me. 8 or 10 would be much better IMO

NoWiser

WKR
I’d definitely opt for 8s over 10s if you also have a pair of 15s with you. Some good 8x32s would compliment them nicely while keeping weight down a bit.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I would never carry two sets of bino's........one or the other. And I wouldn't carry 15's unless I was expecting lots of time seated behind them on a tripod.

njdoxie

WKR
I can't imagine carrying 2 sets of binos. I carry 12X leupolds around my neck, using my hiking poles and/or knees to steady them. I don't carry a spotting scope as I'm just trying to identify legal bulls, not analyze their score from 5 miles, and I goto pains to carry minimal gear to keep my weight light. And the older I get, the lighter everything needs to be.

15x are Strickly used on the tripod for me. 8x32 el or 10x 42 el in chest rig as needed per conditions and intended use.

fatrascal

WKR
As stated above, two pair of binos is just too much unless you are leaving out the spotting scope. I used to carry the 10s on my neck and 15s in the pack and a spotter but I quickly realized that the 15s cannot do much more than the 10s. Not only that but my view in the 10 power el's was better than the 15 power slc's in my opinion. So I sold the 15's.
And because I liked the 10s over the 15s I would not keep the 15s to wear on my neck over the 10s. But if the 15s were the only binocular I had then yes I would wear them in a harness on my neck. The 15s are a great binocular but are not great when you hand hold them. On a tripod they are great. Keep in mind that this is just my opinion. If you can hold them steady enough in your hands then they might be great for you. If you dont mind the weight in your harness then by all means carry them on the neck. Try it out and see what works best for you. Fatrascal

OneSkinnyHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I think a lot of this is dependent on where and how you’re hunting. Here in AZ 15s are amazing especially when hunting coues deer.
On last years elk hunt I carried EL10x42s on my chest and SLC 15s in my pack - the number of elk that I could see AND identify as bulls with the 15s absolutely made carrying them worth it.
Now carrying both on a backpack hunt- probably not but you never know....
I’ll never sell my 10s or 15s, they’ve both earned a spot in my gear collection that I can’t see being replaced by anything else.

BlaserLRH

FNG
15s do improve your opportunities to find game, and I think even more than a spotter. You don't get dizzy or tired as with a spotter.
It depends on the terrain and game you hunt how useful they would be for you.
Swarovskis SLC HD 15x56 are awesome, maybe if you buy a lesser glass, you won't be willing to carry them so often

Crusader

WKR
My hunting partner has 15x56 SLCs and uses them for absolutely all his hunting, in a chest rig (AGC). Whether it's elk in the mountains, antelope on the plains, or eastern turkeys in the Missouri woods (no kidding!), he hand holds them and swears by them and would have nothing else.