Swarovski 25x50 eyepiece or 20x60

WVELK

FNG
I am almost certainly going to buy a new spotting scope. Unless something really changes my mind, it will be a swarovski since I have always used and been pleased with their products.

Here are my two primary issues still dancing in my mind:

1. Do I go with the 25x50 eyepiece or the 20x60? Like all items it is personal preference, but I do find the opinions here very helpful on darn near every subject. For those of you have tried both, what did you like and dislike.

2. I was 90 percent certain I would go with the HD 80 two days ago. But, I am now really considering a HD 65. I don’t care about the last 5 minutes of light. I do care about judging elk, but I will be backpacking and at most hunting elk three weeks a year if hunting two states. I have not been able to get my hands on the 65 so it is hard for me to really appreciate size difference. Weight is a little less, but not a lot in reality. The 65 would be fine for me the remaining months of the year. At most I would use it to look at whitetails in Ohio.

And yes, I will have to decide straight vs angled, but I fully appreciate those differences and can figure that one out on my own. Have used both, but not sure which way I will go. Both have pros and cons.

I have 25-50x ATM 65HD. Couldn’t be happier with the size. Was originally going to go with a straight, decided to go with angled because it just felt more comfortable. I was thinking of picking up a 20-60x eyepiece just to have both. Can’t go wrong with Swarovski. Spend once, cry once! Good luck with purchase.

fatrascal

WKR
I've had both eye pieces and both are great quality. I prefer the 20x60 because sometimes you need that extra 10 power to judge antlers on an animal way out there.
I started out with an 80mm and down sized to a 65mm. Fits in the pack much more nicely, weighs a little bit less and I never noticed a low light difference that was significant. Fatrascal.

BBob

WKR
I'd say the 25-50x is a superior lens and I own both. I think it's rare to have conditions where 60x is better than 50x. More often then not I find I back down on power with the 20-60x to buck the conditions to get a the best image possible and that generally lands around the 50x mark. Overall I'd say that the 25-50x is a brighter, sharper lens than the 20-60x.

I own both a 65HD and an 80HD. I originally bought the 80 and packed it everywhere because that's what I had. At some point I needed to cut weight and purchased the 65. I don't backpack with the 80 anymore and I'd say the 65 gets used 80% or more of the time when I'm using a single spotter. I don't feel handicapped much at all with the 65. The 80 does seem to handle mirage better in bad conditions if that matters.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It would be our pleasure to discuss these different options with you if you have a few minutes to call, 516-217-1000, to chat about it

OP
W

WVELK

FNG
Shout out to Doug at Camera Land!!! Called him and he and his brother were two of the most helpful individuals with which I have ever dealt. Have a new Swarovski scope and tripod headed my way. Can’t say enough for this Forum pointing me in his direction and for his help. Thanks to all!

Hogyotedeer

Banned
I bought a 25-50 zoom to put on my Swaro and planned on selling off my 20-60 zoom--compared the zooms and the 25-50 definitely had a wider FOV. I took back the 25-50 zoom because I could never get my eye centered over the eyepiece without getting kidney beaning blackouts no matter how I adjusted the eye relief on the eyepiece! Stuck with the 20-60 zoom, never have had any issues with blackouts with it.

TSimons9

FNG
I think you will love the 25-50 wide angle. I have one on a 65 HD and it’s the perfect balance between clarity, magnification, and weight/size. I have used a 20-60 on an 80 HD and it is also awesome, but I don’t miss anything with the smaller 65. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

OP
W

WVELK

FNG
I think you will love the 25-50 wide angle. I have one on a 65 HD and it’s the perfect balance between clarity, magnification, and weight/size. I have used a 20-60 on an 80 HD and it is also awesome, but I don’t miss anything with the smaller 65. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.
That makes me feel pretty darn good about my purchase!

I prefer the 20-60. I use a scope only for verification at distance. I glass with my binos. I know some guys glass with a spotter but I do not

fatrascal

WKR
I agree with abovw comments about the 25x50 has a sharper image. But i cannot see it with my eye. But it does show up in my digiscoped videos. Fatrascal.