Swarovski 8.5 vs 10x ELs?

Ok guys I’m looking at either 8.5 or 10x42 EL and I’m on the fence on which to get. I’m an eastern hunter so whitetail woods I know either will work. Be always had 10x because I think more power is better. I’ve hunted elk once and these will probably go on an elk hunt in the future.

Has anyone used both? Have any of you found the 8.5 to be lacking? The place I’m getting them have 8.5x42 EL in stock and no timeframe on the 10x so that’s another factor. I’m coming from Zeiss Conquest 10x42 for reference and have already sold them in preparation for this purchase. Any help would be great.

Legend

WKR
I have 8x42 leicas and wouldn't buy anything else. I live and hunt in MT and love the added field of view. It was described to me that you can see the same detail between both binos....but one is slightly closer. If you really want to make an 8x impress you put them on a tripod. I watched a squirrel from over a mile away playing on a log.

TexaninSconny

Lil-Rokslider
I’d recommend 8.5 for your whitetail hunts. Less shake, better at low light, and better field of view. Magnification won’t be as important in the woods and you’ll likely want a spotter either way for an elk hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

handwerk

WKR
At one time I had both in the SV's. I did a lot of side by side comparing and I was surprised how close they were in distant viewing, that 1.5X didn't make as big as difference as I thought it would, but I did appreciate the steadier view I had with the 8.5X, so I kept them. In your position I'd go 8.5X. I will admit my main bino for hunting out west is a 10X Geovid, but that's more about being a BRF than anything else.

I’ve had both 8.5’s and 10’s and settled on 8.5’s. They’re much easier to handhold, have a great field of view and don’t give up much in magnification. Also, they’re great mounted on a tripod. If you start spending more time hunting open/big country.....a pair of 15x56’s mounted on a tripod is the next logical step and a great addition to a pair of 8.5’s around your neck.

OP
B
Thanks for all the input guys, I think I’m going to go forward with the 8.5’s and either do a 15x56 bino or a spotter for when I go out west again. I do want the best low light I can get for here in the east when those big bucks are hanging just inside the tree line at dawn and dusk.