Swarovski and Vortex warranty and customer service

Just want to share my experience with Swarovski and Vortex Customer service and repair.

After getting back from a hunting trip to New Zealand in April I decided to send all my optics in for cleaning and repair. This included a vortex spotting scope, pst rifle scope, and diamond back binos. As well as a pair of SLC Swaro binos. I sent them all off on the same day. About a week later I had all my vortex products back. They all looked great, cleaned, new parts, and anything else you could expect.

After about 4 weeks Swarovski emailed me saying that there is a “stop” that prohibits the binoculars from opening past their capacity (like a door hinge) and this was broken. They requested me to pay $150 to repair this function because it was not due to a manufacture’s defect. At first I thought I should not pay it and just have them returned because they were not in a total disrepair, just 10 years of use on them. But I had heard stories of Swarovskis great warranty and service so I did. After another 3 weeks I received them. I was shocked to find them in the same shape I had sent them in. When I say same shape, I mean the same dust and dirt was still on them. They had not even bothered to wash them off or polish them.

I sent in an email explaining my concern with the repair, stating that I felt I had been scammed out of 150 dollars, and the lengthy list of "repairs" they had sent was indeed not done, as well as my faith in the company had been damaged. The response was a simple. They stated that they felt they do great work and I could send them in again if I wish.

I am shocked that they did not even say that they were sorry for the inconvenience or any options that I had. I have always loved their glass and company, but now I will defiantly be advising others to think twice about sending your optics back to them, or paying the additional repair cost.

Thank you Vortex for your great customer service and I will defiantly be looking into trading my swaros for a pair of Maven Optics. If you were like me and thought that Swarovskis warranty covered everything think again!

dotman

WKR
Ouch your going to downgrade because of this? I've had a great experience with swaro cs, Zeiss not so much.

svivian

WKR
I worked a retail job where I sold swaros and other high end optics. It always seemed hit or miss from customers when it came to their customer service. It almost felt like it depended on who you happened to speak with at customer service that you would either pay or have them completely taken care of. I'm curious if the age of the binos had something to do with the $150 fee?

elkguide

WKR
My experiences have been the total opposite. I did the same thing when returning from New Zealand last year and received my EL's back promptly and fully checked out and internally renewed. Incredible and fast service and repairs from Swarovski. I will say that I agree Swarovski does not refinish or do much with the exterior of the product but when it comes to the insides, fantastic.

I've sent three items back to vortex (all due to me dropping and breaking them) for service. Each time I had brand new products at my doorstep within a week. Couldn't be happier with their service.

That is disheartening. I have had just the opposite experience. I had a badly damaged set of Vortex razors that I sent in (ran over them... long story)and they came back operational but still filthy, scratched, etc. After calling to call them out on their fantastic warranty, they sent me a new pair. It was troubling that I had to call and complain in order for their "legendary warranty" to come in effect.

I sent my swarovski SLC's in to be cleaned and had them back within 10 days, with a list of what they cleaned, polished, focused, and the diopter replaced.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

GKPrice

Banned
I'd bet the consistency of customer service would be better if a person went through a dealer - I realize a lot of us buy pre-owned but most GOOD dealers will gladly help out (maybe in the hope of getting future or word of mouth business) I use LEICA binocs and have had cause to send them in twice over the years with 2 completely differing experiences, was telling a dealer at the SCI show about it and he invited me to do just that, use him - As for Vortex I can't say about anything because I'm a non negotiable Leupold user for scopes (can't help it if my boys aren't) In today's equipment markets staying American made is always the best first option IMO

I'd bet the consistency of customer service would be better if a person went through a dealer - I realize a lot of us buy pre-owned but most GOOD dealers will gladly help out (maybe in the hope of getting future or word of mouth business) I use LEICA binocs and have had cause to send them in twice over the years with 2 completely differing experiences, was telling a dealer at the SCI show about it and he invited me to do just that, use him - As for Vortex I can't say about anything because I'm a non negotiable Leupold user for scopes (can't help it if my boys aren't) In today's equipment markets staying American made is always the best first option IMO

I agree that buying from a dealer might help, especially when you register the product at time of purchase. I always try to register my big ticket purchases, and that way Zeiss or Swarovski or whoever has the purchase record and where it was purchased from, and that I am the original owner.
I seem to remember that someone that purchased second hand from an individual and the company charged them for the repair. I also remember several cases where the second owner was not charged, because the company stood behind their product.
I know, clear as mud, right ?

jeffpg

WKR
Wow, I'm pretty shocked by this as my experience with Swarovski, Kahles, Leupold and Bushnell have all been great in the past. The only optics manufacturer who ever disappointed me was Nikon, and they've done it more than once.

Having said this, I just picked up a rifle with a Swarovski scope on it and it has those fuzzies inside, kinda looks like snowflakes. I once had an older Kahles do this and they fixed it right up for me. I guess I'll soon see how Swaro treats me on this one, but I will be truly surprised if there is a problem.

I'll keep ya posted though.

I just recently returned a pair of SLC bino's for cleaning and inspection. They have seen hard use for 11 years. They seemed okay, with no noticeable problems. I had them back in two weeks, with new armour on the outside, new eyecups, new prism/housing, repaired focus mechanism and internal cleaning. This was all at no charge. For me they lived up to all they great customer service reviews that I've heard throughout the years.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm waiting on the OP to call them up and let them have it. He said he was going to defiantly trade them....that implies the raising of voices and shaking of fists. Unless, of course, he meant definitely. Always two sides to every story though, curious as to the whole story in this one.

OP
snider6464
Thanks for all the comments.
I bought them new roughly 8 years ago, registered them that week, and they had seen some wear but I keep great care of them (I spent 60 some days in the field with them last year). Going through a dealer defiantly could of had a different outcome but emailing them and shipping it to them was so easy.

Part of me hopes that this was just a bad experience like some have said. I really think swaro makes some of the best glass, and am still contemplating buying an ATS 65. But that kind of service makes me want to look into other options.

dotman- from what I have been reading Maven is similar quality to swaro. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I like vortex as a company but they do not offer a high end enough bino in my opinion.

Preston Lay- That is exactly what I had expected to happen. They also said that they needed to charge me for the Prism as well as the "stop".

Like I said earlier, it is not that fact that they were not repaired correctly and still dirty, but the fact that they did not apologize or want to help me in any way. They just got defensive. I am supersized that they would be charging more customers for repairs, because they have to know that vortex is stealing customers not based on quality of glass but because of warranty and value.

OP
snider6464
Sneaky - do you think I should call as well as my email? Or do you think they will just say that this issue has already been addressed? Definitely was pissed at first!

Here is a part of my email to them after receiving them, let me know of this got my point across:

Turn around time for Vortex was amazing. But really upset me was the fact that I was requested to pay 150 dollars to repair my product correctly. It almost seemed like a scam at the time but I decided to go ahead and pay the money. I hoped that what I have always believed, that Swarvoski's warranty was second to none, would come true and I would be happy with the end result despite having to pay the additional cost.

I received an invoice in the mail, and went over all the things that had been repaired. I was impressed by the list. But when I received the item the packing slip had only a 1/4 of the repairs listed on it.

"...When I pulled the binoculars out of the plastic I was shocked. The same dirt that had been on them when I sent them in was still on the armour. I looked through them and inspected them and could not tell a difference at all. I had been scammed. What I have always been told, and believed as my friends, family, and I spent thousands on Swarvoskis products for years was not true. I saved every penny I had when I was 16 to purchase these Binoculars believing that it was an investment in the product, company, and warranty.

Now I know that as a large member of the hunting community locally, social media, and online forums that I should make people aware that Swarvoski has lost their values as a company..."

This was there response:

"I have discussed your binoculars with the repair manager. The technician has almost 2 hours logged into repairing your binos. I have also attached the list of parts that were replaced. As you can see there were a lot of parts replaced and you should notice that by looking at them and through them. We are confident about our repairs and our technicians."

It is possible that they fixed some things internally, but they definitely should not have charged me, should have washed them, and finally handled my displeasure better.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Easy to dismiss an email not so much when you can react to each reply on the phone. There is always wiggle room in customer service just may have to chat with multiple people

dotman

WKR
Thanks for all the comments.
I bought them new roughly 8 years ago, registered them that week, and they had seen some wear but I keep great care of them (I spent 60 some days in the field with them last year). Going through a dealer defiantly could of had a different outcome but emailing them and shipping it to them was so easy.

Part of me hopes that this was just a bad experience like some have said. I really think swaro makes some of the best glass, and am still contemplating buying an ATS 65. But that kind of service makes me want to look into other options.

dotman- from what I have been reading Maven is similar quality to swaro. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I like vortex as a company but they do not offer a high end enough bino in my opinion.

Preston Lay- That is exactly what I had expected to happen. They also said that they needed to charge me for the Prism as well as the "stop".

Like I said earlier, it is not that fact that they were not repaired correctly and still dirty, but the fact that they did not apologize or want to help me in any way. They just got defensive. I am supersized that they would be charging more customers for repairs, because they have to know that vortex is stealing customers not based on quality of glass but because of warranty and value.

Guess you might find out and let us know, I would recommend the newer version of what you have.

OP
snider6464
When I say dirt I just mean small amounts in the pores of the body, around the logos, edges of eyepieces, and other small bits. Not like they were really dirty to begin with, but they were no cleaner when they were returned. Which leads me to think they did not pull them apart and fix them since the dirt was undisturbed in the nooks and crannies.

I am not sure if 8 year old slc's are really out of date. But maybe the "swarovision" that came out shortly after them made a huge difference.

handwerk

WKR
As I mentioned I've had nothing but great service from swaro. If you feel they shorted you I would call them to discuss, I bet they will do their best to make you happy...just be nice about it!