swarovski atm 20-60x80, thouights?

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
I own an ATS 80HD and I like it... Can take some good digiscope pics/video...

OP
greyghostnw
thanx. i have looked through it and like it. thinkin i will have to just stick with the razor hd for now because of finances. bums me out but prob lucky to even have that. the swaro is my favorite glass though. my eye likes it. images, color, contrast, clarity are far better to me.

FURMAN

WKR
I owned the Razor HD and the Swaro HD. I could not tell a bit of difference between the two. If someone can see a difference they are spending too much time comparing and not enough time actually glassing. My point is even if the Swaro is better I can assure you it is not $1200.00 dollars better. I ended up keeping the Swaro because I got an awesome deal on it and it is lighter and angled. My Vortex was straight. I am sure some will disagree but the Vortex will do everything any hunter needs.

AGPank

WKR
I was trying to make the same decision this year. I had just missed some great ATM deals and just had a hard time swinging the extra money. I really liked the like weight and swarovski reputation. I was also very interested in the new meopta.

I ended up with the razor and I'm very pleased with the decision. I even have money left for some extra toys.

Buster

WKR
I think the only reason to go with swarovski over vortex is if you really go all out and get swarovski's new modular system, the eye piece, the 65 body and the 95 body. Only set you back $5000ish tho.

OP
greyghostnw
i do not agree. the vortex failed 3 times 3 were returned. the eye piece is horrible on the vortex. who ever assembled the 3 i purchased did not care. one even had a piece of foreign material in it and one had spotty coating on the inside that was pronounced through the image. one had a medal grind noise as you used eye piece to magnify. thats wrong........... customer service stated some do that, either live with it or return it. (BS) talk about make your head spin when looking at distance. i will never buy any vortex optic again. the ol 3 strikes your out.......... swarovski is old world craftmanship. you pay for what you get. in vortex i got a pain in the arss and massive let down. to buy one not once but 3 times (razor hd 20-60x85) and have these problems was a punch to the face.

Buster

WKR
Grey ghost, thats surprising to hear. I haven't heard much bad about them, hence why I went to them for my new rifle scope. Everything else I own is swarovski. No problems with the vortex so far, and I know a lot of others that really love their optics. Wonder if you were unlucky enough to be struck by lightning 3 times, or if we've just been lucky enough to avoid the lightning. Any other vortex owners want to comment?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I like Swarovski optics. My current spotter is the ATX 85 I reviewed for the main page.

My hunting partner bought my Razor 85 that I have been using for years, and it is as clean and sharp as it has ever been.

I have had the Razor 65 for a few months alongside the best spotters in the world, and it is also a fine performer.

Sounds like a tough, frustrating road, grey ghost, but I can't say I have had the same experience.

shaun

WKR
i do not agree. the vortex failed 3 times 3 were returned. the eye piece is horrible on the vortex. who ever assembled the 3 i purchased did not care. one even had a piece of foreign material in it and one had spotty coating on the inside that was pronounced through the image. one had a medal grind noise as you used eye piece to magnify. thats wrong........... customer service stated some do that, either live with it or return it. (BS) talk about make your head spin when looking at distance. i will never buy any vortex optic again. the ol 3 strikes your out.......... swarovski is old world craftmanship. you pay for what you get. in vortex i got a pain in the arss and massive let down. to buy one not once but 3 times (razor hd 20-60x85) and have these problems was a punch to the face.

I run a swaro 80mm and love it, but I can say his is the first time I have heard anything bad about the razor hb

OP
greyghostnw
not making this up. wanted to like and own it. it was way less money. i could have bought a new bow for the price difference. hence the 3 times i re bought it. was extremely fustrating and not my style to return an item, especially one this much in value. kind of felt like a joke when doing so and some shame, yet not willing to eat my failed purchase nor deal with all the warranty mumbo jumbo with a new product, especially in the time of the scouting season we are in. the problems perhaps not much to some but to have the eye piece grind brand new stunk. as well as the other issues mentioned. the irratic coating on the inside of the eyepiece with foreign matter about blew me away. bad luck? i guess. it gave a bad taste in my mouth and now own a hd ats 20-60x80 swaro and am happy with it. it is more clear all the way up to 60 and has a more crisp attention to detail. be it built in austria not china isnt bad either. its built nice except the eye piece cover. the weight is less to carry and has the rubber coating needing no neoprene cover for having this design. the focus is different and am not sure if it is a bad or good thing but will just learn to use and utilize the design over the fine and coarse of the other manufactures. i do not wish any bad towards the vortex company and am happy for all the success other users have had. but for me 3 times was enough to just move on. thanx for all the replys and comments. this site is awesome and is a nice aid to the cause. hope all have much success in the mountains, only 10 days till fall black bear in wa!

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can't go wrong with one. I have the angled non HD version. It is a touch heavy but worth it for the extra distance you can get from it and of course the glass.

fatrascal

WKR
My first spotting scope was the swarovski 20x60x80 ats in non HD. I loved it and took a lot of pictures as well as video through it. I sold it to a good friend who still uses it and upgraded to an ATM 25x50x65 HD spotter. Another great scope that I just recently sold and have upgraded to the new ATX spotting scope. All of the models have been great and I've had some great experiences working with the swarovski warranty department after I rolled my first spotter down a mountain. You cannot go wrong with swaro products. fatrascal.

OP
greyghostnw
looked at the atx. holy smokes though, i did not have the budget for that set up. i would like to put my next money towards a better pack system (kifaru). whole other beast there though. much anticipation to see what atx users think of it and how it performs in comparison the the ats/atm...