Swarovski ATS vs ATX? Help!

JO.

Lil-Rokslider
So I’m buying a new spotter and I’ve got it narrowed down to the ATS 80 or the ATX 65. I’ve found some deals where I can get them at a price I can do either one. I know the ATX is a little better optically but I honestly don’t see myself splitting with the money to buy a larger objective or the BTX in the future so the modularity really isn’t part of the equation for me. Have any of you compared and actually looked through these two options? Which would you go for and why? Thanks

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the ATX 85, after much deliberation. I’m pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
If you change your mind in the future the ATX would allow you to sell the objective and buy a bigger one. I’m going to go with the ATX 95. Just waiting for the right timing. If you get ATX you can be sure you’re getting their top product and never question yourself .

fatrascal

WKR
I have never compared an ATS 80 to an ATX 65 but I have compared the ATS 65 to the ATX 65 and my eyes could not tell a difference. The atx 65 is a little heavier than the ATS 65. Are you hunting from a truck? Backpack hunting? For truck hunter I would go with the ATS 80. Backpack hunter ATX 65. That's based on the assumption that you will never want to get the BTX or another objective with the ATX. Another thing to consider is resale value. For resale value I would go with the ATX. it's the latest up to date option with more options for the buyer. Fatrascal.

OP
JO.

JO.

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not really concerned about weight or size so much. Usually an antelope hunt or two and then mostly back pack hunts and range time. I’ve been using a razor 11-33x50 for a couple years and used it a lot last year for scouting a sheep hunt and trying to glass and tell much about a ram 1.5+ miles away just didn’t cut it. After that I decided I wanted to try and find a new spotter. The extra weight of either could be offset pretty easy with a few less cheeseburger and more time training. The ATX models are heavier but can also pack down a little smaller. I’m just having trouble deciding weather to go with the more expensive 65 or save a little and go with the 80 and gain a little light.

I still have some time to possibly find a couple used deals, but a friend drew a mtn goat tag and am wanting to have it by end of June when we can start scouting.

I’m leaning towards the 80 right now to a save a little money and I feel like there would be very few times I would probably be able to tell much of a difference between the two. To me at this level there’s not a bad decision. I am just curious if anyone had any real testing between these two in particular and what stood out.

JO
Something to consider - An 80 (ATS or STS) with a 25-50 wide angle eyepiece is hard to beat.

ClearCreek

The ATX will be better optically but only incrementally. You have to decide if the optical improvement is worth it.

I went with the STX specifically for the modularity. Some hunts the 95mm gets the nod and other times the 65mm gets the nod. I did consider the STS and I would have been happy with it.

I was in this position last year and went ATX. My reasoning was that if, by all reports, the ATX was just a little better optically, I would go with it. I figured whichever I went with, I’d be using it for the rest of my life, so with luck that means I’ll be looking through it for about 40 years. And I also thought I’d be using it a lot— not just for 2-3 times per year on an alpine hunt. So far I’ve been right; I use it most days at least for a little while to look at birds, game, the moon, etc and have gotten more interested in photography as a result. That adds up to a lot of time over a lot of years. After a few years, I won’t miss the extra $300-400 but might really appreciate the quality.

That has been my philosophy in purchases for a lot of things. If I’m going to be using it frequently for years, I go with the best I can get provided value is there and an actual difference in quality. If it’s only going to be used 3-4 years and/or infrequently, I’m not going to go top of the line if it means sacrificing other items in my budget.

But yeah, the option to add the 95mm later is a big plus, and perhaps BTX when my eyes don't work as well someday.

Last edited:
I second the 25-50 eye piece if you go with the ATS, I have it on my 65 and it makes a huge difference

rob_ridge

FNG
I had the same question last year. I heard all the hype on the atx and bought the 85 atx. I have compared it to a friends 80ats and they are very close. Both are vastly better than a 65 atx or ats. Seems like that jump in objective size makes a big difference. I looked through a 95atx and was even more impressed with it but it is just huge. I do all my glassing with 15s and just use the spotter to get a closer look and for digiscoping. If I had to do it all over I think I would save the money and a little bit in weight and go with the 80ats. I still love what I have though,