Swarovski ATX/BTX Review, By Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
The ATX/BTX system really covers all the bases for hunters at the top of the optics market.

Awesome review. I’ve been wondering about the mag extender and I think I’m sold.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome review. I’ve been wondering about the mag extender and I think I’m sold.

It works pretty well. Just remember the exit pupil shrinks, so there is some loss of brightness.

The image stays impressively sharp, though.

tranathi

FNG
Nice review. I've just bought a 95mm STX and love it! I'm saving money now to buy the BTX eyepiece to make this setup complete.

fatrascal

WKR
I recently got the BTX and find it amazing. I find myself wanting to pull it out and use it exclusively. But its not practical to take when I'm backpack hunting. But summer scouting from the truck is fantastic. There are times when it is not very useful. Like when the heat waves are waving in the middle of the day but then again nothing is good at that time of the day except less power and magnification. I didn't get it because I needed it. I got it because I wanted it and I'm glad I got it. Its pretty sweet and using two eyes is much less strain. I also got the 1.7 magnifier and extender and as stated above it certainly gets darker on higher power but everything gets darker on higher power. It will be very useful when counting antler points several miles away. Fatrascal.

I made the mistake of looking through a swaro spotting scope. Now I'm trying to sell some of my not used gear and rifles to buy one. Haha itll be worth it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Midas06

Lil-Rokslider
hey Matt, i own a BTX but for some reason can't really figure out the aiming piece. can't really see anything out of it with all those lines and the tiny hole at the end. any advise for this? Thanks

fatrascal

WKR
I'm not Matt but my personal advice about the aimimg piece is to take it out and put it in the box or throw it away. Ive always broke those dang things and they stick out in the way any how. Same with the forehead rest. Just my personal opinion. Fatrascal.😁

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
hey Matt, i own a BTX but for some reason can't really figure out the aiming piece. can't really see anything out of it with all those lines and the tiny hole at the end. any advise for this? Thanks
With the aiming piece you have to be a few inches behind it for it to work properly. I just sit behind the scope and use the angles lines as reference points to find the center dot. I usually can't see the lines once a find the dot and then put the dot on the target. I don't always use it but am supervised at how well it works especially since the spotter as a hole has taken some abuse in transport, hunting and in my pack. Not sure how that piece of plastic stays accurate but it does.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member

When I used the aiming device, I just used the dot and superimposed it over the subject I was looking for. I actually found it pretty intuitive.

I didn’t use it all that much as aiming an angled spotter has become pretty natural for me over the years.

Brix06

Lil-Rokslider
Matt, do you find that one of ATX objectives balances quite a bit better than the others? I understand the 65mm ATX objective is a bit back heavy like the 65mm ATS scopes were, but what about the 85 and 95? Thanks very much.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Matt, do you find that one of ATX objectives balances quite a bit better than the others? I understand the 65mm ATX objective is a bit back heavy like the 65mm ATS scopes were, but what about the 85 and 95? Thanks very much.

The 85 is pretty close to balanced. The 95 is a little front heavy.

Brix06

Lil-Rokslider
The 85 is pretty close to balanced. The 95 is a little front heavy.

Thanks for the reply, are you still finding the 85mm objective to be best for "all-around" for hunting applications? Or are have you favored the 95mm or 65mm objectives since you've spent some more time with Swaro's x series? Thanks.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the reply, are you still finding the 85mm objective to be best for "all-around" for hunting applications? Or are have you favored the 95mm or 65mm objectives since you've spent some more time with Swaro's x series? Thanks.

I like the 85 best all around for me. Big and bright enough at the truck, but not too big for a backpack hunt.

The 65/95 combo would be awesome for switching between dedicated backpack hunts and dedicated truck-based hunts. It is a big investment for both, though.

brn2ryd

FNG
I was thinking the same thing. I think I would have buyers remorse if I bought the 85 as a jack of all trades. I’m leaning towards the ATX 65 and then adding the 95 later on. The modular system is a pretty big selling feature.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking the same thing. I think I would have buyers remorse if I bought the 85 as a jack of all trades. I’m leaning towards the ATX 65 and then adding the 95 later on. The modular system is a pretty big selling feature.

You are correct: The ATX system combines optical performance, durability, and versatility better than any other spotting scope system on the market right now.