Swarovski ATX v Maven Spotter

Hello everyone! Well I’m going to get a spotter, and the main brand I was planning on going with was the Maven S.A1 80mm. My reason for wanting the mavens is because I have the maven b2’s 11x45’s and I love the glass quality. however I recently have been thinking I should go with Swarovski for the spotter. The question for those of you that have used both Swarovski 85mm and the Maven. Is the Swaro worth the extra cost? How did each perform? Thank you for your help.

The ability to resolve the final 20-30% of power is where the Maven I bet will fail. But, I've never been behind a Maven spotter.

The big three will allow you to resolve through the entire magnification.

Do you need the final 20-30% and value early morning and dusk at higher magnification?

To me, yes, the Swarovski is definitely worth the extra cost. I could get away on a hunt with a mid-tier 10x42 but not a mid-tier spotter if I'm trusting it to call the shots of a yes or no.

Schaaf

WKR
There is an obvious difference. The Maven is more in line with the Tract, Razor, and Meopta Meopro Spotter.

The Kowa and Meostar S2 are pretty comparable.

sndmn11

WKR
I have the Maven and a Kowa 884 (with extender), and previously had a 65mm ATS. The Maven can resolve just as well as the other two and I like it more than the Swarovski. The preference for the Kowa is simply field of view and magnification. One isn't losing anything with the Maven otherwise and I prefer it greatly over the Swarovski.
PXL_20220506_222809420.jpg

I have the Maven and a Kowa 884 (with extender), and previously had a 65mm ATS. The Maven can resolve just as well as the other two and I like it more than the Swarovski. The preference for the Kowa is simply field of view and magnification. One isn't losing anything with the Maven otherwise and I prefer it greatly over the Swarovski.
View attachment 411272
That looks like an awesome combo! Just curious how do you like the straight vs angled?

What I had before was angled. I think I like straight better now even though I thought I preferred angled. I think sitting tall has me more relaxed versus leaning over.
Interesting that is very helpful thank you! I just got a straight and am having to relearn the way I use a spotter and seeing if I prefer it over my angled.

Mattskeen

FNG
I have a s1a spotter I’m looking to get rid of in the near future. Was going to send it in to maven and get it cleaned up. Pm me if you’re interested and maybe we can make something work.

Matt G.

WKR
I was really looking at that maven compared to the ATS, kowa 770, and meopta s2. For the cost and performance I believe the kowa and meopta blow it out of water with greater FOV and more magnification. They are within 5 or 6 ounces of each other and the kowa is about 3/4 inch shorter.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Buy what will make you personally happy. It’s your eyes, budget, rationale, ego, etc.

You never listed your requirements for the spotting scope nor when/where/how you plan to use it. If you’ve not already figured out your requirements, make that a priority before buying.

Do recommend researching the spotting scope comparison done by Backwoods Pursuit. Like anything, take it with a grain of salt. But it does provide some valuable info.

OP
Wapitihunter1
Hello everyone. Thank you for input. I wanting to use my spotter every time I go in the field. Scouting, and obviously hunting. I’m new to the glassing game and new to big game hunting. I’m absolutely addicted to archery hunting and love being out in the elk and deer woods as much as I can be. I guess my question is or rather I feel that my skills in glassing are such that they are not to par with top notch glass, and would not notice the difference. when I get back home I will compare vortex, and the Swarovski together and see if I notice a difference. i did have some luck in the draws this year with a 900 series Antelope tag in MT. Unfortunately I was not so lucky in the controlled Elk hunt draw this year. My cousin however did draw so I will be helping him out as well. I hope everyone else had luck this season. How did you all fare? Thanks again everyone

Jimss

WKR
I would seriously consider the Swaro 65. You will save $ compared to the Swaro 85. You not only will save $ but also the 65 is a lot nicer to haul around and takes up a chunk less room in your pack. You likely won't be gaining that much more light in low-light conditions with the 85 vs 65.

I actually prefer the straight. It's way easier to locate game faster because you can line up an animal you spot with your binos quicker and easier because you point the spotter directly in line rather than on an angle. Also, if you have to view from above your head is exposed over the horizon where game can see you. The lower you are the less apt game will spot you while setting up and glassing. I don't have any problem with comfort for hours upon hours looking straight through my spotter when sitting and viewing.

You get what you pay for with optics! It's an investment of a lifetime and buy the best!!!! I bought an almost new Swaro 65 straight on the classified section of this website around 5 years ago for about 1/3 off new price. I would rather have an almost new Swaro than another brand spotter that is brand new. Swaro has a great guarantee and will last years upon years of tough use. You never know with anything else!

OP
Wapitihunter1
I would seriously consider the Swaro 65. You will save $ compared to the Swaro 85. You not only will save $ but also the 65 is a lot nicer to haul around and takes up a chunk less room in your pack. You likely won't be gaining that much more light in low-light conditions with the 85 vs 65.

I actually prefer the straight. It's way easier to locate game faster because you can line up an animal you spot with your binos quicker and easier because you point the spotter directly in line rather than on an angle. Also, if you have to view from above your head is exposed over the horizon where game can see you. The lower you are the less apt game will spot you while setting up and glassing. I don't have any problem with comfort for hours upon hours looking straight through my spotter when sitting and viewing.

You get what you pay for with optics! It's an investment of a lifetime and buy the best!!!! I bought an almost new Swaro 65 straight on the classified section of this website around 5 years ago for about 1/3 off new price. I would rather have an almost new Swaro than another brand spotter that is brand new. Swaro has a great guarantee and will last years upon years of tough use. You never know with anything else!
Thank you Jimms, I will definitely consider the Swaro. Seeing how I have the funds to do so now as well. I will definitely compare the 65 and 85 together.

Jimss

WKR
If you do much backpacking or are an old geezer like me the 65 makes more sense! The 85 may be a little lighter during low-light conditions but not a whole lot of difference.

OP
Wapitihunter1
Backpacking in is basically all I do. Thank you for your advice bud and I’m definitely not getting any younger although I keep telling myself I’m 20 still!