Swarovski Bino Advice

Gsquared

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for advice on upgrading my glass this off season. I’m replacing my Vortex Razor 10x42a with a set of Swarovski ELs. The decision to take is should I go with an 8.5 or 10x42?

I’ve been glassing off of my tripod and have had great success spotting game with the razors. High expectations for the ELs. I plan to add SLC 15x56s closely behind and want to ensure that I’m not creating a system that doesn’t cover me for elk, mule deer, BC bear, etc. Not trying to age sheep at this point! I’ve not been able to get my hands on a set of 8.5s for a basis of comparison to the 10x’s.

What say you ‘ole oracles of Rokslide!

NoWiser

WKR
Personally, if 15s are in my future, I’m going 8.5s without a doubt. My only binos are 8x SLCs right now and I don’t feel undergunned.

I have 8.5x42 EL and 12x50 EL. The 8.5s stay on the chest and 12s on the tripod. I freehand way better with the 8.5 and they are also nice on the tripod. If you intend to add the 15x56 then go 8.5x42 for sure.

handwerk

WKR
At one time I had both in the SV model and spent a lot of time comparing, I didn't notice a big drop in magnification when using the 8.5's, but they sure were easier on the eyes when handheld.
If 15"s are in your future, I'd go 8.5's. To my eyes they offered the best view of any bino I've tried.

Brooks

WKR
I’ve have a pair of 8.5x42 EL’s and if I was going to buy a pair of EL’s and glass with a tripod I would get the 10’s. Elk hunting with only 8.5’s you will need the 15x56 . I have a good spotter now but there were many days I sat on the side of a mountain with the 8.5’s wishing I had at least 10x40’s you can’t really pick a bull apart with them if he’s out past about 400 yards. A Sworo spotter changed all that !!

OP
Gsquared

Gsquared

Lil-Rokslider
This is exactly the type of insight I was looking for. Thanks to all for the thoughtful advice.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you've been tripod mounting and are going to continue you will see more with a tripod mounted 8.5x than the guy next to you free handing a 10x. Go 8.5x for sure if you're pairing with the 15x56 as a kit

RyanC

WKR
You may have already considered the 12x50 ELs but wondering if that would fit both ends of the spectrum for you and save you some money. They work great on a tripod and can be used free hand in a pinch.

OP
Gsquared

Gsquared

Lil-Rokslider
You may have already considered the 12x50 ELs but wondering if that would fit both ends of the spectrum for you and save you some money. They work great on a tripod and can be used free hand in a pinch.
Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering if anyone might suggest this route. I will need to get my hands on some 12x and examine the possibilities.

Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering if anyone might suggest this route. I will need to get my hands on some 12x and examine the possibilities.

for what it's worth, I used to pack 10x, 15x and spotter, and two years ago switched to the 12x50 ELs as a do it all bino. My buddy has the latest Swarovski 15s so I've spent a bunch of time comparing them to my 12s in the field. I was entirely open to switching back to 15s if i felt they were better. I still have the 12x50 EL because i just enjoy the view through them more than the 15s but i've determined it's basically a toss up. If you can't afford 2 pairs of alpha binos i think the 12x ELs are the ticket. If you can afford 2 pairs, 8.5x ELs to go with the 15x SLC would be tough to beat. But i have enjoyed only having to pack one set of binos.

Top147

Lil-Rokslider
Curious why you are not looking at the 8x30s if you were to pair with a larger bino. Not giving you a hard time as I will be looking to upgrade soon and want to go the same route you seem to be going. 8x30 with the 15slc vs 8.5x42 with 15s?

This is a great thread as I have never looked through Swaros before.

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
I know this works for a lot of people and I originally went this route but for me personally I don't really like having 12's for on my chest as I'm a little shaky with handholding them. I guess you just need to try them out and see what works for you.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Hey man... You mentioned being very successful with 10's on your tripod, but reading between the lines it sounds like you may be looking to future proof your glassing system? In going this route, I would highly recommend the 15's on a tripod and carrying 10's or 8.5's in the harness.

A lot of guys split the difference and carry 12's for both the harness and the tripod. Lots of guys are successful doing this. Or they roll with 8.5's in the harness and 12's on the tripod, something like that. It's all about where you hunt, and what's going to work well for you and your hunt style.

For me personally, and where I hunt, I wouldn't trade my 15's on the tripod for 12's, ever. I also wouldn't trade my 10's in the harness for 12's. When I'm tired, sweaty, and breathing hard I find it very tough to be stable enough to be successful glassing quickly with 12's out of the harness. 10's are a perfect fit for me for this application. 8.5's are great for this too, but after carrying 10's for so many years I find it hard going back down to 8.5's.

I’ve found that the following binocular setup is my ideal kit for heading into the back-country right now... This serves me well from California all the way to Minnesota every year :cool:

.Meopta Meostar B1 HD 10x42's in the chest harness. Great glass. Only 2 ounces heavier than the 10x42 Swaro EL's. Great price point so I'm not as worried about banging them around, getting sap on them resting them on a tree, dust, dirt, mud, snow, rain... You know how it goes out there.

.Swarovski SLC 15x56 in the lid. These binos on a tripod have single-handedly lead to sighting animals I would have never seen before. On some hunts, with these in the pack, I leave the spotting scope in the truck.

I have the 12 ELs and off a tripod they're wicked. One handed for still hunting or closing in on game though....not the best. Im considering a 6x or 8x wide angle 32 mm around the neck. The new Kowa BD ii 6.5x32 has a FOV of 525ft at 1000yds....Anyone running 6s and 12s?

Shraggs

WKR
I have Swarovski 12 el for tripod and the cl companion got chest. Much less weight and for scanning quick looks and timber I like my weight setup. 15 better reach 12 wider and more detail to me and a lb lighter. It’s a good compromise for me.

If truck, day or dedicated open areas I’d add the 15.