Swarovski Binos for Still Hunting

Hi all:

I'm debating which Swarovski binoculars to buy for still hunting, i.e. slowly moving in dense forest, hills, ridges, mountains, and swamp, likely in snow. The options I'm considering are the CL Pocket 8x25, CL Companion 8x30, or the SLC 8x42. By my math, they have exit pupils of 3.215, 3.75, and 5.25, respectively. The scope I'll be using, a 1-5x24, has a minimum exit pupil of 4.80.

I've read that the 8x25s are popular on here:

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/pocket-binoculars.88429/

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/anyone-ever-use-compact-binos.105167/

Most of what I want the binos for is target identification. I'll primarily be hunting for antlered deer, so I want to be able to identify that. Lighter weight and smaller size would be ideal because I'll be moving for most of the day in snow.

What do you all think? Thanks!

mgacf

FNG
I have always felt like the 8x32’s work really well for still or tree stand hunting. Super light and compact. I have had two pairs of ZEISS in that size and really liked them.

Since most of the stuff I am glassing in those situations are under 200 yards I have stayed under $1,000. Never felt like the super high end glass was a huge advantage at that range, in my case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZDR

WKR
I was using Maven 8x30s and thought they really worked well for still hunting. I recently sold them and brought a pair of Swaro CL companion 10x30 and they are spectacular optically. I am surprised how well they work in low light conditions...I would say very comparable to my wifes Leica trinovid 8x32. obviously not the same as an 8x42 but good enough for me.

brsnow

WKR
8x30 companion cl are great, I sold them and went with 10x42 Slc to simplify, but I miss them. Super light and great optics. Swaro will send you the posts needed to attach them to a harness.great service.

elkguide

WKR
When guiding in Wyoming, I went with Swaro 10X42 SLC's and then went with the 10X42's EL's. I figured that I wouldn't be able to use them effectively back here in the thick woods of Vermont. Surprisingly, the 10X42's work very well for me. Yes at 29 ounces they are a little bit heavy but because of the clarity they really shine even in the thick stuff.

cbeard64

WKR
I use my 10x42 ELs from bowhunting thick stuff in East TX to sheep hunting in the Yukon. They work great for both. I don’t notice the weight either - just get a good harness that keeps them secure to your chest.

nobody

WKR
Out west, a 10x42 is kindof the standard. Not big enough that it's hard to hold still, not so small you can't make out good details. I do tons of still hunting and hikes in early season muzzleloader in Utah where we end up jumping deer in close quarters and sometimes only glassing like 100 yards, and I've never felt like the 10x42 was too much. If you don't want that big, an 8x32 or 42 will be a bit more compact and still give you enough magnification to effectively glass to probably or 400 yards fairly easily! Good luck!

For stalking through eastern forests I think the 8x42 is a great configuration. My preferred bino for that is my Meostar 7x42. I have a Meostar 8x32 which is lighter but the light gathering ability of the larger objective lens makes a big difference. Another issue is that I think 8x42s are easier for eye placement that the 8x32. That might change based on model but at least on the Meostars I have to get more exact eye placement on the 8x32 that the 7x42. That can be important when you lift your glasses quickly to see something and don't have time to get in a nice stable position holding the glass. The 8x56 is great for eye placement and relief and low light capability but it is quite a bit heavier so I think the 8x42 is a great compromise. I would save the 8x32s for trips where weight is premium and low light viewing ability is not a huge priority like goat or sheep hunts.

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
I’d look at the 10x42 NL if it’s in your budget. It’s more than I can shell out right now, but seems like it would be a great Bino. I currently have 10x42 SLC. I keep jumping around on what would be best. For treestand hunting sometimes I wish I had 8x for a wider FOV, but then sometimes I wish I had 12x for just a little more mag. I am finding that 10x is probably the best for me as it compromises both ways. If I could get the NL, that would be awesome because the FOV part would be mitigated with still having good mag

OP
C
I’d look at the 10x42 NL if it’s in your budget. It’s more than I can shell out right now, but seems like it would be a great Bino. I currently have 10x42 SLC. I keep jumping around on what would be best. For treestand hunting sometimes I wish I had 8x for a wider FOV, but then sometimes I wish I had 12x for just a little more mag. I am finding that 10x is probably the best for me as it compromises both ways. If I could get the NL, that would be awesome because the FOV part would be mitigated with still having good mag

I'm currently in the same boat. Sure, the NLs would be great. But I don't have $3k to spend right now. Though, it might be good to have both something like an 8x30 and the NL in 8x42. Different tools for different jobs, etc.

PHo

WKR
I still hunt a lot and I compared 8x32 Zeiss FL, Maven 8x30 B.3, and Swaro 8x42 SLC. The Maven wasn’t really that great, but the Zeiss and Swaros were awesome, as you would expect. I liked the Zeiss for its compact size and lighter weight and it also had ZERO chromatic abberation, but I ended up keeping the Swaros because that larger objective does make a noticeable difference in brightness. Also the ergonomics felt better to me. When still hunting in the early and late hours of the day when animals are usually moving that extra brightness is very important to me.

OP
C
Just to follow up, I checked out a pair of CL Companion 10x30s last night and the binos impressed me with their smallness and light weight. So, I bought a pair of 8x30s this morning. Looking forward to getting them in the mail.

Next year, I'd like to get a pair of EL Range 8x42s for hunting and maybe also some Habicht 7x42s just for fun.

Dennis

WKR
It doesn't sound like your hunting style is in open country or where you can see very far or sit and glass. For that style of hunting I used B&L 7X26 Custom Compacts and loved them for being so light weight. They were great for still hunting elk in the timber and worked well enough in open country to tell bulls from cows even at long range. For the hunting style you describe I would lean towards the Swarovski CL 8X25. I think that they will work great to identify antlered deer from non antlered deer while moving all day. Something else I liked about the small light binoculars was how I carried them. I used a very short thin neck strap that just barely fit over my head to limit motion and easy of use and never noticed the weight on my neck especially when over a shirt collar.

If your area has areas you can glass farther than a few hundred yards I might lean towards either the 8X30 or 8X32 for better definition at distance in poor light. I think if you plan on hunt other areas in the future the 8X32 might be a better all around choice. Once to that size I would switch to a chest harness for carrying them to distribute the weight a little better.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the choices you listed nor the responses from others.

kcm2

WKR
IMO, the Swarovski 8x30 is ideal for your type of hunting. It also has a fairly narrow field of focus, so you can laser in on that suspected antler tine in the jungle of branches or that one patch of brown that's either an elk rump or a tree stump. It's relatively light and the optics are superb. YMMV.