Swarovski BTX vs Kowa 883 + 15s or 18s?

fatrascal

WKR
I used the 65mm objective with the BTX a lot in this hunting season and it was great. I would not personally backpack with it but some people do. But it was a pleasure to glass with it. Fatrascal.

4ester

WKR
85mm is nice middle ground and is still 30x and packable. Been using mine for a couple years now and still absolutely love the setup.

I sometimes take the 1.7X mag extender and that bumps you to 51x. But conditions have to be great as mirage kills you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eric1115

WKR
Currently I’ve got viper 12x50s and a diamondback 20-60x80 scope. I’ve heard some say the 65 isn’t worth it and others say it’s not that much worse than the 95 as you would think. Will I be disappointed during the daytime or really only at dawn and dusk?
Do you have plans to upgrade your main binos? For elk especially, I'd get something like a Conquest, Meostar, SLC, Nikon HG, etc 10x42 before even thinking about adding 15x binos to the mix.

I think too many guys want more magnification when what they really need is resolution. I'd wager you'll find more game with a set of really good 10x than your current 12x and spotter combined.

Like CApighunter, I really like my 883 and my Meopta 15s. Between those two, I can see anything and everything I need. With that being said, I’ve never used the BTX so I can’t give my opinion there. I use that combo for anything that isn’t a “backpack” hunt, aka all of my day/truck/atv hunts.

BBob

WKR
Once you sit down behind BTX or Twins you’ll understand why 15’s and a spotter just can’t compete. BTDT 🤣

I still use 15’s and a smaller objective spotter but whenever I’m out there with that combo at some point I’m wishing I had humped the big glass. Speaking of, 15’s and a larger objective spotter doesn’t save a whole lot of weight over NL12’s and Twins or BTX and probably no savings if you have 8’s or 10’s around your neck with the 15’s and spotter in your pack. Something to chew on.

littlebigtine

Lil-Rokslider
i run 10x42 pures and maven 18s almost exclusively during hunting season and i find for the type of field judging I do its pretty much all i need 95% of the time. Is that a 300 or bigger class bull 2000 yards up canyon. What size frame does that buck have across the drainage? high quality 15 or 18x binos can answer these questions. When I dont carry a rifle, I will bring my 85mm spotter but its really just for fun ya know. How much do you enjoy it? swaro can be a pretty good time.

I have 10s on my chest and have run 15s & 20s. I only do this because I’m not ready to make the financial commitment on BTXs. However I’ve glassed through them with the 95mm and it’s mind blowing, it’s not even the same experience. If money wasn’t an issue and I wasn’t truly backpack hunting then I would go BTX and NL pure 12x if they worked for my eyes.

dapesche

WKR
Buy the 95 to start, the 65 will be disappointing.

Which binoculars are you running?

agreed. I have kowa 663ed. Bought the swaro 65atx thinking it would be an upgrade. It was a marginal improvement and not worth the large premium.

Once you sit down behind BTX or Twins you’ll understand why 15’s and a spotter just can’t compete. BTDT 🤣
Guys scoffed at my twin kowas when I first showed them off. After using them, 3 buddies and my dad and brother now have either twin kowas or highlanders. It's a whole nother world when looking through 30x+ with 2 eyes in crystal clear glass. I pair these with 12x50 EL and it's about the best setup I can imagine for western big country hunts. One day i'll grab the NLs hopefully.

To the OP i'd stay away from the 18x personally. I looked through the mavens for an hour or so and they were not impressive to me, i'd take meopta or swaro 15x over those no question.