Swarovski changing EL lens coatings?

MattB355

Lil-Rokslider
I just received a new pair of Swaro EL 8x32's today from Cameraland (Thanks Doug!). I noticed the lens coating is red similar to Zeiss. I compared them to my Swaro EL 10x42 that I bought last year (2018 manufacture) and they have a green tint to the coatings. My new 8x32's are 2020 manufacture date. I see no difference in optical performance and they are excellent as usual but I am curious of the reason for the change or if it was only for the smaller 32mm line.

Attachments

• IMG_4874.jpg
    IMG_4874.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I reached out to my Swarovski tech rep and he replied:

"We apply several layers of coatings on our lenses during manufacturing (this is what “fully multicoated” references).

During manufacture, the lenses can have variations in the end resulting “tinge” of the apparent color of the lens. As an interesting side note, when we replace lenses due to scratches, we’ll sometimes recommend replacing both oculars or both objectives to ensure that both lenses’ color is matched.

To summarize, it’s a cosmetic variation from the unchanged manufacturing process, not a change in the manufacturing process itself."

OP
M

MattB355

Lil-Rokslider
Very interesting! Thank you for looking into this Doug. It is the first pair of Swaros that I have saw with this color tint to the lenses.