SWarovski education needed

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
Hoping some of the knowledgeable folks on here can learn me a thing or two. Looking at taking the upgrade leap optics wise and getting me some Swarovskis. IS there a benefit to buying new instead of picking up a used pair? Will they still honor their Warranty if I buy a used pair? Is there a date range is should be careful about buying older than? I.e. Manufactured after ...uses better Glass? Tentative looking at the EL 10x42 or 10x42 EL Range. Have no desire for the Tracking Assistant

And now to really start the debate ... Someone will have a suggestion for a different brand that will work better.... Im open to hearing thoughts

Jimss

WKR
I bought a Leica combo 10 x42 rangefinder a couple years ago. It's amazing! I bought a used Swaro spotter on the classified section of this website and really like it as well. I paid about 1/2 price for my nearly new spotter. You can't beat that!

Themic86

Lil-Rokslider
Used Swarovski is a good option as Swaro will always repair but not always free, so might want to plan on spending a few hundo extra for that. I bought a pair of 8.5x42 as previous owner spent $200+ on work from swaro. Not sure there will be a age issue but make sure if you want swaro vision to stay in that date range of the ELs.

I also have Leicas and are a great glass to, so might see if you can try both as they all have there pluses and minuses in optical quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

golfbum

WKR
Only thing to watch out for when buying Swaro used products is that the original owner has/will transfer ownership into your name. If you buy used and don’t have the original owners name (or whoever the registered name is) then Swaro will not warranty or service the product. The owner could also report it as stolen……

ask the seller for the serial number and a quick call can tell you if it’s registered and if it can be transferred to you.

Usmcff

WKR
You can date Swarovski optics by taking the first two numbers of the serial and adding 1930 to it and that will give you the year of manufacture. I don’t really see a point in buying new ones. I bought a used ats spotter that had scratches in both the eye piece and obj and they put new glass in both for 150$ so essentially I have a brand new spotter for less than half the cost new. I have the el 8.5s SV as well and love them. They really make game stand out and I wouldn’t have done nearly as well on my mule deer hunt without such good glass. As others have mentioned, you can’t go wrong with the big 3/4: kowa, zeiss, Leica, and swaro are all nearly impossible to beat just depends which pops best to your eyes. Good luck, once you get a pair, you’ll want to upgrade all your glass or at least I did.

Something I haven't seen mentioned is older ELs vs newer ELs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the older ones do not have field flattener lenses (aka swarovision).. they are still awesome glass, but not quite as good as the newer generation. I can't tell you exactly what year they switched (hopefully someone can answer that), but the older model has larger black areas where the hinges connect to the barrels, the word "swarovski" centered on the right barrel, and the bird centered on the left barrel. The 10x42s also say 6,3 on the focus knob. The newer generation (swarovision) have thinner black areas where the hinges attach, "swarovski" on the bottom of the left barrel, and the bird at the top of the right. The 10x42s say 6,4 on the focus knob. The "field pro" models have a few upgraded features (lens covers and a different neck strap attachment), but optically they are the same.

Themic86

Lil-Rokslider
Something I haven't seen mentioned is older ELs vs newer ELs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the older ones do not have field flattener lenses (aka swarovision).. they are still awesome glass, but not quite as good as the newer generation. I can't tell you exactly what year they switched (hopefully someone can answer that), but the older model has larger black areas where the hinges connect to the barrels, the word "swarovski" centered on the right barrel, and the bird centered on the left barrel. The 10x42s also say 6,3 on the focus knob. The newer generation (swarovision) have thinner black areas where the hinges attach, "swarovski" on the bottom of the left barrel, and the bird at the top of the right. The 10x42s say 6,4 on the focus knob. The "field pro" models have a few upgraded features (lens covers and a different neck strap attachment), but optically they are the same.

It was around 2010 when they started offering it. I have the older ELs and from discussions with Swaro they cannot be upgraded to Swarovision just replace glass to what it was when purchased. Some people have issues with the rolling ball so always something to try before you buy.

I think any of the SLC HD are great but the previous versions of the SLC don't justify the price tag in my mind.

Any generation of EL's are awesome and the first generation (pre field flatteners) can often be found for under $1k. In my mind a used first gen EL is one of the best values in optics. Just don't get suckered into paying too much for a first gen EL because they should definitely be cheaper than the Swarovision models.

AGPank

WKR
Benefit of new: clear warranty, potential of supporting a local business you work with.

Benefit of used: reduced cost, able to try new gear at lower risk of financial loss if it doesn’t meet our needs

Things to watch: year of mfg on Swarovski. The HD version of SLC started in 2011. I see some non-hd sell for $$$ that pushes value of newer HD glass in my opinion.

The HD and Swarovision EL started 2010/2011. I think many buy the earlier EL not knowing this and overpay. I’m not saying they are bad glass, but I’d buy a HD SLC over non-Swarovision EL, especially when I see them priced the same.

I really like Leica glass, it works for my eyes. The new Zeiss SF is pretty awesome too.

I really like Meopta for quality / value compromise. Their S2 spotter is tough to beat at any price.

Swarovision: 2009, serial starts with K
SLC HD: 2010, serial starts with C.

On the range, the tracking assistant has MUCH better glass, a better laser (10-2200 yds instead of 33-1600), and ballistic capabilities.

Usmcff

WKR
It was around 2010 when they started offering it. I have the older ELs and from discussions with Swaro they cannot be upgraded to Swarovision just replace glass to what it was when purchased. Some people have issues with the rolling ball so always something to try before you buy.

I didn’t know the exact date but I knew it was sometime around then and was going to mention the rolling ball effect as well. I have the svs and was worried going to idaho that I might suffer from it. Luckily I do not so the ELs are staying. And agree it’s just one fo those things to try but luckily with swaros if you buy them, generally you will get at least 90-95% of your investment back if you decide to sell unless you bought new or paid too much.

Usmcff

WKR
Benefit of new: clear warranty, potential of supporting a local business you work with.

Benefit of used: reduced cost, able to try new gear at lower risk of financial loss if it doesn’t meet our needs

Things to watch: year of mfg on Swarovski. The HD version of SLC started in 2011. I see some non-hd sell for $$$ that pushes value of newer HD glass in my opinion.

The HD and Swarovision EL started 2010/2011. I think many buy the earlier EL not knowing this and overpay. I’m not saying they are bad glass, but I’d buy a HD SLC over non-Swarovision EL, especially when I see them priced the same.

I really like Leica glass, it works for my eyes. The new Zeiss SF is pretty awesome too.

I really like Meopta for quality / value compromise. Their S2 spotter is tough to beat at any price.

Also agree on meopta. Trades for some of the meopro Binos and if I hadn’t got a really good deal on my swaros I would of kept them. I really didn’t feel I was losing much going from my ELs to them.

If you can find a used pair of nl pure, I’d suggest those. Swarovski covers anything on any owner. Never had an issue with them

ceejay33

FNG
Thank you for starting this thread....I have often wondered the same when debating new or used on Swaro

OP
E

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
GReat Answers!! Thank you everyone! Can someone tell me what the "Rollerball effect" is? That one didnt ring a bell.

Sounds like i should start looking for a used set and may not bother with the combined range finder

Matt G.

WKR
Not to hijack thread but thinking of making the splurge. Is the rollerball effect worse in the 10x vs 8.5? Is it less in the nl then el? I hunt mostly whitetails but have always used 10x42. Trying to find 1 pair that will do most

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Usmcff

WKR
Not to hijack thread but thinking of making the splurge. Is the rollerball effect worse in the 10x vs 8.5? Is it less in the nl then el? I hunt mostly whitetails but have always used 10x42. Trying to find 1 pair that will do most

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
I heard a lot of rumors about the rolling ball effect and was worried I’d see it but using my ELs around the house I never noticed it or in whitetail woods then when I used them out west, I didn’t notice it there either. So I think some people see it and some don’t.