SWarovski education needed

Themic86

Lil-Rokslider
GReat Answers!! Thank you everyone! Can someone tell me what the "Rollerball effect" is? That one didnt ring a bell.

Sounds like i should start looking for a used set and may not bother with the combined range finder

Rolling ball happens for some when panning and the image is being bent to the flatten state and you see a perceived rolling ball of it going back to a curved image.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had first and second generation EL's and now have first generation EL Ranges. I've never seen roller ball effect in any them. Fatrascal.

1st gen EL and 1st gen EL Range don't have field flatteners, so no one would. If you didn't see it with Swarovision ELs you're good.

tdot

WKR
I might have missed this, but incase it hasn't beem said before; the EL Range does not have the same glass as the other EL models, supposedly it is CL glass.

I put my 2012 8x32EL head to head with my Father in Law's 2016 10x EL Range and both of us felt my older 8x's were superior optically.

I can only speak to my 2012EL's, but they've been fantastic glass and actually a decent bargain too. Bought them 2nd hand, used them for 5 years and sold them for a touch lower then I paid for them.

I might have missed this, but incase it hasn't beem said before; the EL Range does not have the same glass as the other EL models, supposedly it is CL glass.

I put my 2012 8x32EL head to head with my Father in Law's 2016 10x EL Range and both of us felt my older 8x's were superior optically.

I can only speak to my 2012EL's, but they've been fantastic glass and actually a decent bargain too. Bought them 2nd hand, used them for 5 years and sold them for a touch lower then I paid for them.

Not the case with current EL Range

True, but he said he didn't want the Tracking Assist. Doesn't that eliminate the current EL range?

Perhaps, but the tracking assistance is probably less of a feature than the improved glass and laser.

Also, the glass in an original EL Range and Field Pro is identical to the original EL Binocular, not a CL Companion.

fatrascal

WKR
SomeJackassOnAForum, thanks for making it clear about which binos would show rolling ball. And its true that the second generation el ranges quality is not as good as the second generation non range el's. I can see the difference. Although they are all great glass and I would suggest any of them to anybody. Appreciate the info. Fatrascal

tdot

WKR
Perhaps, but the tracking assistance is probably less of a feature than the improved glass and laser.

Also, the glass in an original EL Range and Field Pro is identical to the original EL Binocular, not a CL Companion.
Interesting, that makes more sense that the older EL range matches the original EL bino vs the CL.

SomeJackassOnAForum, thanks for making it clear about which binos would show rolling ball. And its true that the second generation el ranges quality is not as good as the second generation non range el's. I can see the difference. Although they are all great glass and I would suggest any of them to anybody. Appreciate the info. Fatrascal

EL Binocular Gen 1(1999-2009) = El Range Gen 1/1.5 (2012-2020) < El Binocular Gen 2/2.5 (2009-Present) < EL Range TA/Gen2 (2021-Present) < NL Pure

fatrascal

WKR
My current binoculars are 2020 before the el range ta. I call then 2nd generation because they changed how the neck strap hooks up. But technically and due to optical quality they must be gen 1.

My current binoculars are 2020 before the el range ta. I call then 2nd generation because they changed how the neck strap hooks up. But technically and due to optical quality they must be gen 1.

I usually call the EL Range Field Pro Gen 1.5 and the EL Swarovision Field Pro Binos Gen 2.5 since the glass, laser (on the range), weight, dimensions, optical properties, etc are all the same.

The only updates were accessory/cosmetic changes in 2015 when the Field Pro was introduced.

fatrascal

WKR
SomeJackassOnAForum, I would say you are correct. My plan is to sell the el range and go with the NL's. I will miss the range finder but not that much. I really like looking through those NL's. I will call them first generation NL's without range finder TA, lol. Im getting confused, lol. Fatrascal.