Swarovski EL Range w/ Tracking Assistant

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Since you’ve had hands on both, is the NL pure noticeably better optically than the EL Range TA?

Going only from memory wouldn’t be fair to anyone. Been since November since I looked through the NLs. However they did beat my previous Gen ELs in a side by side so prolly gonna edge out these. Or at least a tie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brix06

Lil-Rokslider
Since you’ve had hands on both, is the NL pure noticeably better optically than the EL Range TA?

I had a chance to directly compare the 8x42 EL TA to an 8x42 NL Pure the other day. I felt that the optics in the NL were noticeably better. The large field of view was apparent of course, but the brightness and contrast was what I noticed, the NL pure was better. This makes sense I think. The Rangefinding EL TA bino was built to be the best Rangefinding bino, and I bet is is. The NL was built to be the best optically and ergonomically and I think it is. I think both binos are designed to be the best in their category and they are.

I will say that the EL TA optics were outstanding - top notch. I don't think a person would need anything more in a hunting situation. And the ability to range, track, mark points, ballistics... You can't go wrong with that EL TA or the NL Pure I don't think. If I had the $cash$ flow to do it, I would own both.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I had a chance to directly compare the 8x42 EL TA to an 8x42 NL Pure the other day. I felt that the optics in the NL were noticeably better. The large field of view was apparent of course, but the brightness and contrast was what I noticed, the NL pure was better. This makes sense I think. The Rangefinding EL TA bino was built to be the best Rangefinding bino, and I bet is is. The NL was built to be the best optically and ergonomically and I think it is. I think both binos are designed to be the best in their category and they are.

I will say that the EL TA optics were outstanding - top notch. I don't think a person would need anything more in a hunting situation. And the ability to range, track, mark points, ballistics... You can't go wrong with that EL TA or the NL Pure I don't think. If I had the $cash$ flow to do it, I would own both.

Thanks for the comparison! Can’t imagine the FOV in an 8x NL

I’ve just done that one side-by-side with the previous GEN EL with this new GEN, and I could not see the difference. I reached out to Swarovski and it’s a redesign for this new GEN, and it should be better. I just haven’t been able to see it in the conditions Im glassing. But I’m still working on it

WRO

WKR
Thanks for the comparison! Can’t imagine the FOV in an 8x NL

I’ve just done that one side-by-side with the previous GEN EL with this new GEN, and I could not see the difference. I reached out to Swarovski and it’s a redesign for this new GEN, and it should be better. I just haven’t been able to see it in the conditions Im glassing. But I’m still working on it

Which gens? The old non hd EL's there is a significant difference in, the current el swarovision gen has not had many changes.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Which gens? The old non hd EL's there is a significant difference in, the current el swarovision gen has not had many changes.

Mine were 2014 so I believe 2nd Gen HD.

There the same glass, only significant change is the field pro system..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
A new EL Range will have a wider FOV than a 2014 EL Bino, but not a radically different image.

The previous EL Range used the original EL binocular optics from 1999.

WRO

WKR
A new EL Range will have a wider FOV than a 2014 EL Bino, but not a radically different image.

The previous EL Range used the original EL binocular optics from 1999.
In think robby is referring to el to el, not the new el vs el range..

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
In think robby is referring to el to el, not the new el vs el range..

Sorry man, I always forget to clarify on that. I am talking EL range versus EL range TA.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
OK guys as promised I got the 2014 EL Range up against these new EL TA head-to-head on the resolution chart today.

e9d90768fc9ee16ea5f98b34ed9b2b71.jpg

I think further up the thread I said that I had not noticed a difference in the glass quality between these two in my normal hunting use the spring.

I had reached out to Swarovski and they guaranteed me it was better glass in these TA’s.

No matter, I want my eyes to decide. So this was at mid-day today, about a half an hour ago.

9235127112cc210da00df1e8c4ca4424.jpg

At 50 yards, the EL TAs can resolve one more Element in the Group than can the 2014 EL Range.

67959646e5548f98327e0a09019bc59c.jpg

So Element 4 for the EL TA

cf5fdd32851c449295dcb4f759675cae.jpg

But only Element 3 for the 2014 ELs

So I stand corrected Swarovski.

Now for those of you that still have the previous GEN, remember I could not tell until I put these on the resolving chart. So they’re still very close, but it is better glass in this new GEN.

My next test will be twilight testing on the resolution chart. I can see if one of them has better light transmission than the other.

I’m also testing the new Zeiss compact in 10x32 and 8x32. It’s really good glass! But doing a side-by-side, I found these new EL TA were able to resolve one more Element than the 8x Zeiss and the same Element as the 10x. Impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Per my post above, I did some lowlight testing on the previous GEN EL vs the EL TA. Again, the TAs pulled ahead, both on the resolution chart and on a couple of horses in fading light.

The TAs are noticeably brighter (better light transmission) than the previous GEN. I was surprised! As the old binos have great low light performance but the TAs are better.

None of what I posted about today was noticeable until I did a side-by-side on tripods. I really thought there wasn’t that much of a difference before today.

I say that so you guys that have the old ELs can know that you still have a great glass. But if you can step up to the TAs, there is an edge.

First world problems eh?

I like that the button is now on the right side instead of the left. My older version EL Range has the button on the left side, which is about the only negative I can speak of. I love them otherwise. Can't imagine going into debt just so I could have the button on the right side.

Last edited:

Rooster22

FNG
I assume
It’s not possible but any chance these pair with a Garmin device with the ballistics app? If so anyone want to by a set of year old el 10x42s

WRO

WKR
I assume
It’s not possible but any chance these pair with a Garmin device with the ballistics app? If so anyone want to by a set of year old el 10x42s
I've ran the ballistics on mine vs my Kestrel, they're the same to 1250 [as far as I've checked]

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

The TA is a very interesting piece of technology. One of those things where on paper it makes sense but based on watching your video it seems almost like it could be unnecessary in the real world. Possibly a hassle or a feature that wouldn’t get used as much as we would like to think. Not being negative but just food for thought. I have the Swaro NL pures 10x42 and would only purchase these, so far, based on how good the on board ballistic system is for long range hunting. @robby denning always putting out great reviews and videos on new equipment. I really enjoyed this one as I have been doing heavy research on the TA 10x42 for the past couple weeks. Thanks.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The TA is a very interesting piece of technology. One of those things where on paper it makes sense but based on watching your video it seems almost like it could be unnecessary in the real world. Possibly a hassle or a feature that wouldn’t get used as much as we would like to think. Not being negative but just food for thought. I have the Swaro NL pures 10x42 and would only purchase these, so far, based on how good the on board ballistic system is for long range hunting. @robby denning always putting out great reviews and videos on new equipment. I really enjoyed this one as I have been doing heavy research on the TA 10x42 for the past couple weeks. Thanks.

Hey thanks man. And I agree, this isn’t a feature you’re going to be using a lot. But I think it’s the situation comes up where you need it, you’ll be happy you have it.