Swarovski EL Range w/ Tracking Assistant

Jwalks

FNG
OK guys. Got to run the TA on a follow up on a coyote I shot (at) this morning. Please forget the fact that I missed and just watch the video. TA performed beyond expectations

I’ve read a few people’s comments on another site that they’re having trouble ranging past 1000 yards and that it’s not as good as the zeiss In the ranging department. Have you had any issues ranging 1000 or further? Thanks

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve read a few people’s comments on another site that they’re having trouble ranging past 1000 yards and that it’s not as good as the zeiss In the ranging department. Have you had any issues ranging 1000 or further? Thanks

Haven’t had any issues with RF. Did a side by side with the previous GEN: up to 2030 yards with the GEN two. GEN one maxed out at 1290 yards. This was on side hills and a tan colored barn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Wish Swarovski would bring back their stand alone rangefinder with all this new technology. If I were a guide I would have the combo bino/rf but things change and improve so quickly on the rangefinder side, it is worth having the separate unit to me.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Wish Swarovski would bring back their stand alone rangefinder with all this new technology. If I were a guide I would have the combo bino/rf but things change and improve so quickly on the rangefinder side, it is worth having the separate unit to me.

Good point

huntnful

WKR
So far I've spoke to 5 other people that own or owned the new El Range TA. 3 people, including myself, had difficulties with ranging past 900 yards. Mine would not pick up a cow, a black moo cow, on a skyline at 1000 yards. Crystal clear day. Then wouldn't pick up a boulder at 1200. My buddy is right next to me verifying these yardages for me (and laughing at me :() haha. Later they picked up a bright white rock on a hillside at 1119 yards. I used this for target shooting.

3 other people, including my hunting partner, said no problems out to, and even past 1400 yards. I haven't tested my hunting partner's out yet though.

So, I don't know what to think. But, I know for a FACT mine were terrible at ranging consistently past 900 yards.

900 yards is still a good range (and 800 is as far as I'll shoot hunting), but not for today's technology and definitely not for $3600. I sent mine back and got a refund. And trust me, I WANTED to like them. I kept making excuses for them in my head lol. I already got the Zeiss again, from Robby lol, and can hit 1500 yard ranges on the first shot every time. I loved the swaro glass, but was really disappointed in everything else.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
So far I've spoke to 5 other people that own or owned the new El Range TA. 3 people, including myself, had difficulties with ranging past 900 yards. Mine would not pick up a cow, a black moo cow, on a skyline at 1000 yards. Crystal clear day. Then wouldn't pick up a boulder at 1200. My buddy is right next to me verifying these yardages for me (and laughing at me :() haha. Later they picked up a bright white rock on a hillside at 1119 yards. I used this for target shooting.

3 other people, including my hunting partner, said no problems out to, and even past 1400 yards. I haven't tested my hunting partner's out yet though.

So, I don't know what to think. But, I know for a FACT mine were terrible at ranging consistently past 900 yards.

900 yards is still a good range (and 800 is as far as I'll shoot hunting), but not for today's technology and definitely not for $3600. I sent mine back and got a refund. And trust me, I WANTED to like them. I kept making excuses for them in my head lol. I already got the Zeiss again, from Robby lol, and can hit 1500 yard ranges on the first shot every time. I loved the swaro glass, but was really disappointed in everything else.
Hey, thanks for sharing

after we emailed back & forth yesterday, I really focused on hitting the longer ranges this morning, as I've had zero problems out to about a 1000. Walking a sagebrush rim and hitting everything from bare sidehills, to junipers, to even a house, 80-90% of the time I hit the button, I was getting readings from 1,000- 2,000 yards. I'm just not having the issues I keep hearing about.

Oh, and I've always had problems on black cows with my previous EL Range fyi

huntnful

WKR
Hey, thanks for sharing

after we emailed back & forth yesterday, I really focused on hitting the longer ranges this morning, as I've had zero problems out to about a 1000. Walking a sagebrush rim and hitting everything from bare sidehills, to junipers, to even a house, 80-90% of the time I hit the button, I was getting readings from 1,000- 2,000 yards. I'm just not having the issues I keep hearing about.

Oh, and I've always had problems on black cows with my previous EL Range fyi)
That’s awesome Robby! I’m glad they’re working great for you! I’m not sure where they’re getting the variances in ranging abilities in the manufacturing, but it seems to be an issue with 1/2 of them so far. If mine ranged 80% out to 2000, I’d have definitely kept them and gotten used to their ergonomics for sure. Maybe they’ll push out an update like Zeiss did also!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
That’s awesome Robby! I’m glad they’re working great for you! I’m not sure where they’re getting the variances in ranging abilities in the manufacturing, but it seems to be an issue with 1/2 of them so far. If mine ranged 80% out to 2000, I’d have definitely kept them and gotten used to their ergonomics for sure. Maybe they’ll push out an update like Zeiss did also!
oh ya, the ergs are not all that great but I guess I'm used to them as they're nearly the same as the previous gen. "pregnant" binoculars.

Rrobason

Lil-Rokslider
Robby,
Just to make sure what I’m reading for a bow hunter... the angle correction distance... is that the same as the older Leupold range finders? Not the new one with the archers advantage program in it.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby,
Just to make sure what I’m reading for a bow hunter... the angle correction distance... is that the same as the older Leupold range finders? Not the new one with the archers advantage program in it.

Hey man, I have not use the Leopold ‘s, but the Swaro gives you two yardages when you hit the button: the first or top, yardage shown is the actual measured distance. The second or bottom, yardage is the shoot-to distance (or angle compensated I guess you’d call it.) Make sense?

Rrobason

Lil-Rokslider
Hey man, I have not use the Leopold ‘s, but the Swaro gives you two yardages when you hit the button: the first or top, yardage shown is the actual measured distance. The second or bottom, yardage is the shoot-to distance (or angle compensated I guess you’d call it.) Make sense?

Yes sir... and by Leupold I was meaning a Leupold rangefinder... have you had a chance to try the shoot-to-distance with a bow yet?

Yes sir... and by Leupold I was meaning a Leupold rangefinder... have you had a chance to try the shoot-to-distance with a bow yet?
I have used it but not at a very steep angle yet. It only cut 2 yards when i took that shot but im gonna try som steepwr shots somewhere soon hopefully

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

No I have not tried it with a bow, but I’ve been coyote hunting most mornings this week and have been testing it at short yardages, I’ve had it down to 10 yards, the actual distance was 12, so it seemed like it was working just fine.
And on longer yardages that were like 43 actual 39 shoot-to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalky

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Ok this morning I tested the ranges from 1000-1700 yards on clay hillsides. Better than 90% return with each press of button

Also tested the scan mode on some running deer. Just hold the button and follow the target. Followed them from 450 yards to about 550 yards. Only had to repress the button once. It recounted the yardage about every second.

28bang

WKR
I looked through these this past weekend. I was impressed optically with them. Furthest I could range was a tree at 1140 but there was nothing else to really range where I was at. It’d be pretty hard to give up my 12x42 nl pures and the sig 2400 since they work. All in one sounds amazing though.