Swarovski EL Range w/ Tracking Assistant

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
2866cb30412adf46c0c0516d904c2ffc.jpg

Yesterday was my first 3-D shoot for 2021. I used the Swarovski Range EL TA for my RF. Three things to note:

1) So glad they finally moved the op. button to the right hand!

2) That I can range under 32 yards. I actually saw a shoot-to distance of 10 yards in the viewfinder on one target.

3) Something very confusing keeps happening when using the angle compensation. Occasionally the higher number appears in the bottom slot of the viewfinder? So if I’m aiming downhill at something that’s 25 yards away, it showed the higher number on the bottom. So 24 over 25

Can you see the problem with that? If the shoot-to distance is the bottom number, shouldn’t it always be a lower number than actual distance?

My operations manual is buried right now, so I was hoping someone could straighten me out on this. Am I just thinking wrong here?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Great information here. Thank you for posting all your results.

Sure thing. Still waiting on an email back from Swarovski on why my lower number on the read out sometimes is higher than top number

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure thing. Still waiting on an email back from Swarovski on why my lower number on the read out sometimes is higher than top number

Depends on how it rounds. If it's a shallow angle it might generate a similar value, and the rounding may be different.

huntnful

WKR
Any comparison to the Zeiss RF’s?
The Zeiss has better ranging abilities at distance, but doesn’t range closer than 30, sometimes even 40 yards. The swaro has better glass and the digital readout is better IMO. The Zeiss is more ergonomic and easier to slip in and out of a bino pouch without the bellies. The swaro also has a better, less finicky depth of focus and the focus knob is tighter. I’m constantly having to readjust the focus on the Zeiss every time I pull them out of my bino pouch.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The Zeiss has better ranging abilities at distance, but doesn’t range closer than 30, sometimes even 40 yards. The swaro has better glass and the digital readout is better IMO. The Zeiss is more ergonomic and easier to slip in and out of a bino pouch without the bellies. The swaro also has a better, less finicky depth of focus and the focus knob is tighter. I’m constantly having to readjust the focus on the Zeiss every time I pull them out of my bino pouch.

Sorry if I missed it further up the thread, so you’ve tried them both? Appreciate your input

huntnful

WKR
Sorry if I missed it further up the thread, so you’ve tried them both? Appreciate your input

Yes, I've owned both of them. I ended up going with the Zeiss for the ranging abilties and better ergonomics. I pretty much exclusively run the 15X56's on a tripod for all glassing, and just use the 10's to spot check when working my way through country. So the better glass on EL TA swaro's wasn't enough to outweigh the negatives in my scenario. I also feel like I got a faulty pair with very inadequate ranging abilities, so it was a turn off right away for me honestly.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I've owned both of them. I ended up going with the Zeiss for the ranging abilties and better ergonomics. I pretty much exclusively run the 15X56's on a tripod for all glassing, and just use the 10's to spot check when working my way through country. So the better glass on EL TA swaro's wasn't enough to outweigh the negatives in my scenario. I also feel like I got a faulty pair with very inadequate ranging abilities, so it was a turn off right away for me honestly.
OK, I remember you now--great feedback for anyone debating the two optics. That's why we create these threads when reviewing gear as there's usually someone out there doing something similar. Thanks again.

PONYBOY

Lil-Rokslider
Hey All - Been considering these hard for this season. I was reviewing the Swaro sight along with other retailers and I haven't been able to get a clear answer. When the ballistic solver comes back with a solution, does it only return a "clicks" figure or can it also return true MOA or MIL calculations? I'm hoping it returns MOA and MILS. Thx again - Almost time!

Hey All - Been considering these hard for this season. I was reviewing the Swaro sight along with other retailers and I haven't been able to get a clear answer. When the ballistic solver comes back with a solution, does it only return a "clicks" figure or can it also return true MOA or MIL calculations? I'm hoping it returns MOA and MILS. Thx again - Almost time!

In addition to linear yardage

It will return:

-nothing
-angle
-angle corrected yds
-clicks for a Swaro scope
-mils
-moa
-inches of drop
-Cm of drop

Rodneyltd

FNG
I am new here but purchased some 10x42 EL Range TA’s after reading this review. They have been exceptional! They will show the yardage and then show the elevation in mils to dial provided yo send the correct configuration to the binos in the app. Very easy to use and a great purchase for me. Easily ranged down to 15 yards for my bow and 1200 yards for some PRS targets with my rifle. hope that helps.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks to you guys who are chiming in on the ballistics functions--something I'm not equipped to answer--so very helpul

@PONYBOY do let us know what you think after you get some time on them. I know you'll be happy with the glass quality for sure.

PONYBOY

Lil-Rokslider
Got everything today... So far I'm pretty impressed. I sold my 12x50's to help get into these and don't feel I noticeably stepped back in terms of glass quality, it's really nice to be able to hand hold with these with less shake. I got out tonight on some trails behind my place and was easily able to hand hold and range reliably out to about 16-1,700 yards. Passed 1,700 was harder, that being said I was hand holding and it was a little hazy and right around sun set (Tripod would most likely make a big difference). I spotted a yote at 1,000 yards in low light and the laser hit it no problem. So far I'm happy.

Inputted a ballistic profile this evening and the process was very simple. I'll probably hit the range this weekend so will be able to let everyone know how the ballistic solver does compared to a Kestrel.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Inputted a ballistic profile this evening and the process was very simple. I'll probably hit the range this weekend so will be able to let everyone know how the ballistic solver does compared to a Kestrel.
Really interested to hear

mgebs311

FNG
So I know these new EL Range TA models have Swarovision field flattening, but other than that, are they equal to the EL’s otherwise in glass quality and lens coatings?