Swarovski EL range

lucascole76

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone running last years Swarovski EL range? Was thinking about pulling the trigger on a set of 10x42 but would like some input . Is there a difference in optics between these and the non ranging EL's besides the rangefinding capabilities ?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
Never tried them. I read the early ones had some issues ranging in really cold conditions and that the rangerfinder wasn't quite as good as the Leicas. I researched both them and the Leicas before I bought and ended up going with the Leica Geovid HD-B after reading lots of reviews. I've been very happy with the Leicas. I've never actually had my hands on the Swaros so I can't say personally how they compare. My 15x binos and spotters are Swaro as is the scope on my mountain gun and I have nothing bad to say about any of the Swaro products I use.

Not sure I was real helpful, but that's all I know about them.

OP
L

lucascole76

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input...I'm trying to decide if I should just buy 10x42 el non range and use my current rangefinder or if that glass on the rangefinder El is worth just going that route

OP
L

lucascole76

Lil-Rokslider
El range binos are not hd and are not swarovision. You will lose some optics quality with the ranges.

That's what I have herd ... I guess the last question would be it it a huge difference between swarovision/hd and not having it

Vandal 44

WKR
I have owned the Zeiss 10X45 w/ Rangefinder, The new Leica Geovid 10X42 Rangefinder and the Swarovski 10X42 EL Rangefinder.

All three are amazing glass to look through, the Zeiss a little brighter do to being 10X45. Swarovski and the Leica are awesome as well if you lined all three up and looked through them all side by side I would hard pressed to tell you the difference between the glass

The Swarovski and Leica ergonomics are great, they fit in the hand well and are extremely comfortable to hold. The Zeiss are bigger fit me well but just big.

The Range button on the Zeiss and Leica are on the right side of the binocular frame which makes it easier to find and press, however I have good size hand and have no issues with the Swarovski. If a person has small hands this could be an issue

The Zeiss and the Swarovski rangefinder are one push of the button and you have the yardage to the target, they both are very fast in getting you the yard and accurate. The Leica I had to press the button twice to get a range just like I do on my Leica CRF 1000

The Leica and the Swarovski both have angle compensation with that said the Swarovski the angle compensation starts after 33 yards. The Leica if I remmeber correctly was 10 yards (better for bow hunting) The Zeiss will only give you hold over (no built in angle compensation)

The Leica will give you the Temp, Barometric Pressure, Ballistic Processor and some other stuff I can't remember its a lot more information than the Zeiss and the Swarovski will give you

If you are big into long range shooting or rifle hunt then the Leica or the Zeiss would be a great choice. For me I bow hunt so the Swarovski are what I use now. I sold the Zeiss and I took the Leica's back because I was having so many issues with the rangefinder, I could never get a consistent range on a target. I would range a car and get 4 different readings

If the I didn't have so many issues with the rangefinder I would have kept the Leica; I took them back to Cabela's and exchanged them for the Swarovski's and have not been disappointed

That's just my two cents.

OP
L

lucascole76

Lil-Rokslider
I have owned the Zeiss 10X45 w/ Rangefinder, The new Leica Geovid 10X42 Rangefinder and the Swarovski 10X42 EL Rangefinder.

All three are amazing glass to look through, the Zeiss a little brighter do to being 10X45. Swarovski and the Leica are awesome as well if you lined all three up and looked through them all side by side I would hard pressed to tell you the difference between the glass

The Swarovski and Leica ergonomics are great, they fit in the hand well and are extremely comfortable to hold. The Zeiss are bigger fit me well but just big.

The Range button on the Zeiss and Leica are on the right side of the binocular frame which makes it easier to find and press, however I have good size hand and have no issues with the Swarovski. If a person has small hands this could be an issue

The Zeiss and the Swarovski rangefinder are one push of the button and you have the yardage to the target, they both are very fast in getting you the yard and accurate. The Leica I had to press the button twice to get a range just like I do on my Leica CRF 1000

The Leica and the Swarovski both have angle compensation with that said the Swarovski the angle compensation starts after 33 yards. The Leica if I remmeber correctly was 10 yards (better for bow hunting) The Zeiss will only give you hold over (no built in angle compensation)

The Leica will give you the Temp, Barometric Pressure, Ballistic Processor and some other stuff I can't remember its a lot more information than the Zeiss and the Swarovski will give you

If you are big into long range shooting or rifle hunt then the Leica or the Zeiss would be a great choice. For me I bow hunt so the Swarovski are what I use now. I sold the Zeiss and I took the Leica's back because I was having so many issues with the rangefinder, I could never get a consistent range on a target. I would range a car and get 4 different readings

If the I didn't have so many issues with the rangefinder I would have kept the Leica; I took them back to Cabela's and exchanged them for the Swarovski's and have not been disappointed

That's just my two cents.

Vandal44 great info thanks for info !

NMhunter92

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the EL Ranges earlier this year. I have since sold them. They are great glass but as a bowhunter it was just not for me. I really wanted to make them work. Just my opinion

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone running last years Swarovski EL range? Was thinking about pulling the trigger on a set of 10x42 but would like some input . Is there a difference in optics between these and the non ranging EL's besides the rangefinding capabilities ?
Thanks

I haven't had any problems with mine not being able to range. They do a better job than the leicas I've compared them to. I've never regretted buying mine. Solid glass and great range finder in my opinion.

Trial153

WKR
I played with the el range a couple times. Being a bowhunter I like having a separate range finder. I find it just less cumbersome when I am on a stalk, I can slip the range of finder in a pocket quick and call it a day. If I gun hunted I think that the EL range would be the cats ass.

buttekid

Lil-Rokslider
I carry 10x42 EL Range all the time in the field but during archery season I also carry a range finder because the EL's won't pick any distances less than 30 yards. For the same reasons others have also pointed out, I would not go with the EL's if I had it to do over again.

I had the Zeiss Bino RF for several years, and upgraded to the Swaro 10 X 42 EL Range two years ago, and I can honestly say it was an "upgrade". The Swaro are better in the optics dept (IMO), and have angle compensation whereas the Zeiss did not. I wouldn't go back to Zeiss as long as I have the Swaro. I have not experienced any problem with the Swaro rangefinder not reading in cold weather as previously posted. I only rifle hunt with my binos, but if I did bow hunt, I would go with a smaller/lighter bino and separate rangefinder. My guide has had the Leica Bino RF for several years, and loves them. After looking through my Swaro EL, he says they are equal in optic quality. When he and I both range something, they are both pretty close in yardage readings, within a yard or two.

Last edited: