Swarovski NL Pure 12x42 Binocular Review, By Matt Cashell

Thanks for reading. I haven’t had a review sample of the Geovid 3200.com.

I have seen them just briefly. I really like the Zeiss RF, though and it is my current favorite binocular overall.

The Swarovski NL Pure though is at the top of the pile for pure optical performance, which was obviously Swarovski’s goal with this super-bino.

After several weeks of looking, testing and calling everyone, I bought a Zeiss HT 10x 54 10 x 54 bino which has the highest light transmission in its class of any bino currently produced.

I won’t be walking with this bino, using a tripod for long distance glassing on spot and stalk hunts. I have Swarovski 8 x 30 EL’s for stalking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Spoonman

WKR
Maybe I’m not seeing something quite right? Why is everyone saying the NL are a $1000 more than the EL? I can’t find the EL for less than $2800 and the NL are $3100!? Seems like a $300 jump to me

cbeard64

WKR
42mm objective ELs are about $2100-2300 now from most every outlet/retailer. Outdoorsmans has them for $2200 with the bino stud adapter thrown in for free.

cbeard64

WKR
Good article. Got a few points to make.
Any bino above 10X, will greatly benefit from a tripod. The 12X absolutely. If you cannot commit to always having a tripod with you then don't pack a 12X bino. Its that simple. If that means you are going to pack a 3-4 lbs tripod like those nice Outdoorsmans, you are going be burning lots of calories in the backcountry.
Also, as much as I like big FOV, it is not as important when using a tripod. With a tripod, you will grid search horz & vertically anyways. Smaller FOV just means a few more steps in your grid searching.
With that in mind, I pack a 10X32 EL or a 10X25 CL Swaro. The size and weight savings (10oz) of the CL Pocket Swaro is a game changer. The 10X32 is small and light in its own right, and easy to love.
Pack the Kramer Designs Granite Peak Tripod to stabilize either Swaro and you are around 18 ounces complete.
The light gathering of a 42mm or 50mm is nice, but you are really only talking about minutes at the end and start of the day. You have to balance that against the size and weight of the 32mm and 25mm.
Optics choices are very personal. They are specific and vary by person, terrain, hunting style, game sought and a host of other factors. In short, everyone is different with varying preferences.

I have never owned or even looked through a pair of 12x binoculars, but ordered the 12x NLs based on the detailed and rave reviews they have received across the hunting and birding spectrum. I couldn’t be more pleased.

I have no trouble holding them steady without a tripod. In fact, I can hold them much more steady than I can my 10x ELs. Freehand is fine, but I can get rock-solid steadiness simply by gripping the bill of my cap. In fact, I am going to call Outdoorsmans and cancel the order for the optional headrest because I don’t need it.

For me, FOV is very important in a binocular, whether handheld or mounted. So having the FOV of my 10x ELs in a 12x is the best of both worlds.

And while I agree that dawn/dusk performance isn’t a big deal for some types of hunting I do (sheep hunting, for example), it can (and has) been the difference in getting a trophy buck or not here at home in TX. And I’ve found it crucial out west being able to evaluate a buck or bull that comes out late and decide whether or not to go after them the next morning.

For those reasons I wouldn’t dream of only using 25 or 32mm objective binoculars for anything other than a deep woods archery whitetail hunt. But that’s just me. Everyone is different.

Reactions: wtx

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
Optics choices are very personal. They are specific and vary by person, terrain, hunting style, game sought and a host of other factors. In short, everyone is different with varying preferences.

I have never owned or even looked through a pair of 12x binoculars, but ordered the 12x NLs based on the detailed and rave reviews they have received across the hunting and birding spectrum. I couldn’t be more pleased.

I have no trouble holding them steady without a tripod. In fact, I can hold them much more steady than I can my 10x ELs. Freehand is fine, but I can get rock-solid steadiness simply by gripping the bill of my cap. In fact, I am going to call Outdoorsmans and cancel the order for the optional headrest because I don’t need it.

For me, FOV is very important in a binocular, whether handheld or mounted. So having the FOV of my 10x ELs in a 12x is the best of both worlds.

And while I agree that dawn/dusk performance isn’t a big deal for some types of hunting I do (sheep hunting, for example), it can (and has) been the difference in getting a trophy buck or not here at home in TX. And I’ve found it crucial out west being able to evaluate a buck or bull that comes out late and decide whether or not to go after them the next morning.
The more I read feedback on the NL 12x, the more I feel as if they are the right choice for me.

I hunt in CO (elk and mule deer) and TX (deer), and I use my binos more than I do a spotter while elk hunting.

Currently, my Razor HD 10x42 have been fine in regards to FOV, but they leave a little to be desired in low light conditions mainly when I am trying to judge the age and quality of a deer.

Do you feel the low light ability of the NL 12x's is comparable to your 10x EL's?

cbeard64

WKR
The more I read feedback on the NL 12x, the more I feel as if they are the right choice for me.

I hunt in CO (elk and mule deer) and TX (deer), and I use my binos more than I do a spotter while elk hunting.

Currently, my Razor HD 10x42 have been fine in regards to FOV, but they leave a little to be desired in low light conditions mainly when I am trying to judge the age and quality of a deer.

Do you feel the low light ability of the NL 12x's is comparable to your 10x EL's?
It’s noticeably better than my ELs. (I must note I have the older version of the ELs.)

The NLs are so good I am able to evaluate bucks in my food plot well past legal shooting time here in east TX. Also way past when I can pick them up well in either a Leupold VX3i 40mm or Swarovski Z5 44mm rifle scope.

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
It’s noticeably better than my ELs. (I must note I have the older version of the ELs.)

The NLs are so good I am able to evaluate bucks in my food plot well past legal shooting time here in east TX. Also way past when I can pick them up well in either a Leupold VX3i 40mm or Swarovski Z5 44mm rifle scope.
Great to hear about the low light ability. Thanks!

gmchenry

FNG
Good article. Got a few points to make.
Any bino above 10X, will greatly benefit from a tripod. The 12X absolutely. If you cannot commit to always having a tripod with you then don't pack a 12X bino. Its that simple. If that means you are going to pack a 3-4 lbs tripod like those nice Outdoorsmans, you are going be burning lots of calories in the backcountry.
Also, as much as I like big FOV, it is not as important when using a tripod. With a tripod, you will grid search horz & vertically anyways. Smaller FOV just means a few more steps in your grid searching.
With that in mind, I pack a 10X32 EL or a 10X25 CL Swaro. The size and weight savings (10oz) of the CL Pocket Swaro is a game changer. The 10X32 is small and light in its own right, and easy to love.
Pack the Kramer Designs Granite Peak Tripod to stabilize either Swaro and you are around 18 ounces complete.
The light gathering of a 42mm or 50mm is nice, but you are really only talking about minutes at the end and start of the day. You have to balance that against the size and weight of the 32mm and 25mm.
Great review. I have the 10x42 EL's and am still contemplating going to the 12x42 nl. Just not sure if the that much money is worth the change.

Siggy111

FNG
I received my 12 NL’s a few weeks ago. Spectacular glass and great FOV. I have no regrets going with them over the 10’s. I‘m no more shaky with them than I am with my EL’s...and those were not that bad. The FRP headrest does help, but I will only use it for long distance glassing for long periods of time. Ergo’s are amazing and I have had no issues with the diopter adjustment. The NL’s really are in a class by themselves.

JMG22

FNG
Thank you for sharing this review. I am beginning the search for these.

Cukleti

FNG
Great review.

I’ve had the pleasure of owning the Swarovski EL 8.5x42, EL 8x32, NL Pure 8x42 and the new CL Companion 8x30.

Surprisingly, the most impressive pair are the CL’s. Why? The light transmission. They are unbelievably close to a 42 or 50 of other brands, and undistinguishable from the EL 8x32. I would say the only flaw is the CA on the edges. But all in all, very impressive.

I agree that the NL’s offer better handling, and a wider field. From my experience, the FOV difference from the EL is not bind blowing. The ergonomics is in fact better. But does this justify in such a huge price difference from the EL? Well that’s for you to decide.

Stewy

FNG
Thanks for this review. I’ve looked through the nl pure, but wish I could’ve had more time with them. This review really helps in the decision process.