Swarovski NL Pure Binocular

I am with Matt on this one. I just picked up an 8.5 EL from a good rokslider participating in this topic thread and I am waiting for it to arrive. And I keep reading these types of reviews and think, I can't be using some "crappy" ELs. Not when there is an amazing NL available. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: You guys are killing me.
the 8.5x EL is a pretty amazing set of binos.... probably my favorite of any i have looked through for all around versatility and viewing pleasure (haven't looked through NL's yet of course) the 8.5x are great on a tripod, but also great off hand, better than 10x off hand imo

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
keep us posted! i'm getting the 12x nl pures as well, and curious about more feedback. it looks like size and weight with the 10x vs 12x is a non issue, and it's been nice having an extra .5x magnification with my kowas, i think the 12x's are going to be my best option.... seeing a little patch of hide through the brush at 400yds gives me a huge edge vs about anyone out there.... very very few blacktail hunters even use a tripod, even fewer have good glass, and even fewer have the patience to really pick things apart. i'm not a super patient person, but i have learned the importance of good glass and staying in it to the point it's completely changed my strategy blacktail hunting.... if hunting a particular buck, being low impact on the area is vital... good glass and patience is the only way... the better the glass, the easier it is to be patient
I went from Vortex Razor HDs 10x42 to the NL Pures 12x42 this year. Besides the upgrade in glass quality, the FOV is amazing with the Pures.

Firehawk

WKR
the 8.5x EL is a pretty amazing set of binos.... probably my favorite of any i have looked through for all around versatility and viewing pleasure (haven't looked through NL's yet of course) the 8.5x are great on a tripod, but also great off hand, better than 10x off hand imo
They just showed up a few minutes ago. And they are absolutely amazing!!! So easy to look through and amazing depth of field. Can't wait to put this EL 8.5 through its paces.

keep us posted! i'm getting the 12x nl pures as well, and curious about more feedback. it looks like size and weight with the 10x vs 12x is a non issue, and it's been nice having an extra .5x magnification with my kowas, i think the 12x's are going to be my best option.... seeing a little patch of hide through the brush at 400yds gives me a huge edge vs about anyone out there.... very very few blacktail hunters even use a tripod, even fewer have good glass, and even fewer have the patience to really pick things apart. i'm not a super patient person, but i have learned the importance of good glass and staying in it to the point it's completely changed my strategy blacktail hunting.... if hunting a particular buck, being low impact on the area is vital... good glass and patience is the only way... the better the glass, the easier it is to be patient
So after Friday's hunt. I have to say pretty impressed. I haven't had the chance to put them on a tripod yet as I need to make a stud for them(I'm a machinist and can't see paying $50 for a stud). But just off hand they are really nice! Color contrast is fantastic! I was able to spot a herd of elk about two miles out before legal shooting time. Once I pointed them out my buddy was able to "see" them with his lower end leupolds. But I don't think he would have spotted them without me. Hopefully soon I'll get out and really compare them on a tripod as I'm sure that's when they will really shine.

I spent some time this weekend looking through 15x56 SLC HD, 12x42 NL Pure, 10x42 NL Pure, and first gen 8x32 EL.

For stationary long range glassing close to the truck I think the 15x56 might still get the nod but both sets of NL Pure are nothing short of stunning. My 8x32 EL were my favorite binos but I might have to sell them to get some 8X NL Pure because they really are that much better. That being said, I still didn’t feel my 8x32 EL were slouches and didn’t leave me wanting for more until I could look side by side to an NL.

Definitely 12x, so I can take advantage of the new field of view and get 12 power to see antlers. No reason to consider any other power.

No, wait - 12x needs a tripod. What if it's windy? Also might be tougher to find game. No good having so much power if you're shaking at all. Don't blow all my money on 12x and be sorry.

8x would have an AMAZING field of view, and quicker acquisition. Much better in the wind and for spotting game you otherwise miss. Yes, definitely 8x. Definitely!

Hang on, let's think this through - 10x gets me the best of both. Still good for hand glassing and purty good field of view from a tripod. Better field judging than 8x . . . OK, 10x it is - for sure.

Wait, no . . . 10x is just a compromise! It doesn't give me both - it gives me neither. No way am I gonna get 10x . . . 8x or 12x have to be better.

Yep - 8x for sure. OK done . . . order now.

Except - maybe I would be happier with higher power - after all, with this new field-of-view, I don't need weaker glasses to get a wide view any more.

Ya, gotta have more than 8x. 8x is for pussies. I need magnums, man! Need to be sure I can see enough detail to judge the animal. Be a man, go for 12's!

Ack no, 12x is just too much without a tripod.

They do make a 10x . . . .
I have had this conversation in my head too many times to count.

wiz329

FNG
I spent some time this weekend looking through 15x56 SLC HD, 12x42 NL Pure, 10x42 NL Pure, and first gen 8x32 EL.

For stationary long range glassing close to the truck I think the 15x56 might still get the nod but both sets of NL Pure are nothing short of stunning. My 8x32 EL were my favorite binos but I might have to sell them to get some 8X NL Pure because they really are that much better. That being said, I still didn’t feel my 8x32 EL were slouches and didn’t leave me wanting for more until I could look side by side to an NL.
With a pair of higher power 15s or 18s, would you choose to carry 8x, 10x or 12x?

If you carry high power I would go 8 or 10. I really like 8s for FOV
FWIW I have the 12s. Probably going to get a pair of 8x for general glassing and 12s for detailed work.

8x32 8x42
FOV 450 ft vs. 477 ft
Exit Pupil 4 mm vs. 5.4 mm
Eye Relief 18 mm vs. 18 mm
Liight trans. 92% vs. 91%
Weight 22.8 oz vs. 29.5 oz
Length 5.7 in vs. 6.2 in

I'm leaning 8x42 d/t exit pupil. More room for my eyes to roam before decentering. More pleasant glassing experience in particular for long sessions. I like the extra weight, personally, easier to handhold IMO. Not to mention extra FOV. Light transmission compromise 1% but I've never done a side-by-side but I suspect only equates to a few minutes of perceivable difference if any.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
8x32 8x42
FOV 450 ft vs. 477 ft
Exit Pupil 4 mm vs. 5.4 mm
Eye Relief 18 mm vs. 18 mm
Liight trans. 92% vs. 91%
Weight 22.8 oz vs. 29.5 oz
Length 5.7 in vs. 6.2 in

I'm leaning 8x42 d/t exit pupil. More room for my eyes to roam before decentering. More pleasant glassing experience in particular for long sessions. I like the extra weight, personally, easier to handhold IMO. Not to mention extra FOV. Light transmission compromise 1% but I've never done a side-by-side but I suspect only equates to a few minutes of perceivable difference if any.

This is really interesting. Thanks for posting.

8x32 models are usually (but not always) wider than the 42mm sibling. I actually found a discrepancy on Swarovski’s website where in one location they list a 492 ft./1000 yards FOV while the spec table lists the 450 ft. Spec you listed. It would be interesting to measure it.

3e1be4bdc62b86e9f4f4512da1852e11.jpg

00c16f72be55dade8325cff52f70de39.jpg

Also, a 1% difference in transmission is going to be unnoticeable, and could vary by sample. The additional exit pupil of the 8x42 will provide a much more noticeable increase in apparent brightness, and additional minutes of performance in low light.

8x32 models are usually (but not always) wider than the 42mm sibling. I actually found a discrepancy on Swarovski’s website where in one location they list a 492 ft./1000 yards FOV while the spec table lists the 450 ft. Spec you listed. It would be interesting to measure it.

Also, a 1% difference in transmission is going to be unnoticeable, and could vary by sample. The additional exit pupil of the 8x42 will provide a much more noticeable increase in apparent brightness, and additional minutes of performance in low light.

That’s interesting, I’d say that’s a typo. If you look at angular FOV specs it’s 8.5 degree for the 8x32 and 9.1 for the 8x42. Then the 10’s are 7.5 for the 32’s and 7.6 for the 42’s. So a .6 degree gain in the 8’s but only .1 on the 10’s.

Allbinos hasn’t done either of the 8’s but they did the 10x42’s which they measured 7.57 degrees and the 12x42’s they measured 6.46 degrees with Swaro has listed at 6.5 degrees so angle wise their measurements line up with Swaros figures.

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
I'm considering the 8x32's but don't want to use the forehead rest. For the 8x32's is anyone using the headrest? How much of an improvement is it?

I called Swaro. 1st in line. After 20 minutes they never picked up.
I located their technical data pdf, on their website, which I attached. Per specs 8x32 FOV 450 feet.

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider
I called Swaro. 1st in line. After 20 minutes they never picked up.
I located their technical data pdf, on their website, which I attached. Per specs 8x32 FOV 450 feet.

When you are on hold with Swarovski, you have the option to leave a callback number. They will call you back when a rep becomes available. They are generally very helpful.