Swarovski NL Pure Binocular

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Had decided on upgrading to the 8x42 EL but have since talked myself into the NL.

I was fairly set on the 8x42 becuase of the FOV and I primarily hunt archery, however I am now thinking the 10x42 NL is the way to go? No weight or size penalty over 8x42 and FOV is comparable to 8x42 EL's. Any thoughts or feedback on this decision? Any advantages of staying wtih 8's vs 10's?

That is exactly why I am going from 10 ELs to 12NLs. I have never, ever had an issue in the thickest of cover here in Michigan with my 10s and if I can get the same field of view with 2x more power for these old eyes out west, sign me up.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Had decided on upgrading to the 8x42 EL but have since talked myself into the NL.

I was fairly set on the 8x42 becuase of the FOV and I primarily hunt archery, however I am now thinking the 10x42 NL is the way to go? No weight or size penalty over 8x42 and FOV is comparable to 8x42 EL's. Any thoughts or feedback on this decision? Any advantages of staying wtih 8's vs 10's?

There’s a reason I’ve ran 8x (and 7X) my whole hunting life. Brighter, better FOV and steadier (and typically better Eye Relief)
It’s not just about the magnification, it’s about seeing the deer and those other variables are important but way underrated by most hunters.

Everyone keeps thinking they’re only gonna see deer at extreme ranges and more power is the only solution. Well sometimes I guess, but the trade offs of shake, FOV, and light transmission arent worth it to me.

And 90% of the time I’ve got a spotter or some 15x if I need more mag.

And I just spent a few years trying the 18X over the 15x, and for the same reason, I now only am using 15x.

I have not used the NLs but if 10x FOV is same as 8x then one variable has been eliminated but until they put gyros in the NLs, they haven’t eliminated the shake of going 20% more power. And 8x will be brighter too.

But I still notice that when men have less power in anything (Optics, guns, trucks,) they can’t help but think the grass is greener. So if you might be that way, buy 10x as you’ll always be thinking you sold yourself short on the 8X.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Maybe for hand holding, but I don’t see myself using it... guess I’ll withhold judgement until I try it.

coues32

WKR
I am wondering if the forehead brace will offset some of that shake issue in the 10X and 12X.
I didn't it order at 1st but added it this week for 12's ,don't use it on the btx but they are on a tripod.
Patiently waiting to compare them to my 12 els

Amasaback

FNG
Has anyone that preordered had any indication if they are likely to be available on time? I called Cameraland to see and they were uncertain if they would actually be in a ship Sept 1.

It is almost as if they take away any improvement and create a substandard binocular when they can't be mounted effectively on a tripod. I mean, with tripod mounting, you increase the effectiveness of binoculars many fold, so much so that that I would never use binoculars for any period of time without a tripod.

I wonder if they will have some other mounting option that doesn't involve silly straps and extended base plates.
Outdoirsman stud will be shipping early Sept.! Problem solved!

coues32

WKR
Has anyone that preordered had any indication if they are likely to be available on time? I called Cameraland to see and they were uncertain if they would actually be in a ship Sept 1.
Talked to Rob at S and S said my 12s should ship on the 1st, he said 10's could be delayed for some but didn't talk about it ,im over 10s 😉

I heard the same, that they're not really going to ship to us on sept. 1. I'm buying a set of 12's but I'm not going to pre order or buy them until they are actually available

Stwrt9

WKR
I am wondering if the forehead brace will offset some of that shake issue in the 10X and 12X.
I've had the chance to demo the NL's for several weeks and can tell you the Forehead piece is a game changer in my opinion. Especially if you are an archer where one handed use is quite common with a bow in the other hand. At first take i thought it was a bit gimmicky but I can tell you that you will end up using it all the time.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I've had the chance to demo the NL's for several weeks and can tell you the Forehead piece is a game changer in my opinion. Especially if you are an archer where one handed use is quite common with a bow in the other hand. At first take i thought it was a bit gimmicky but I can tell you that you will end up using it all the time.

Hey good to know. Thank you

eltaco

WKR
Is there much of a perceptible shake difference between 10x vs 12x?

For me, there is. I just compared EL 10x50 and EL 12x50 and felt I could resolve better detail in the field with the 10x. My usage will be primarily handheld, and the 10s just gave me a better image quality. Honestly, it surprised me a bit.

The other thing that surprised me was that both binos were basically identical from a brightness standpoint, even though the 10x50 has the better exit pupil diameter spec. I really couldn’t perceive a notable difference in this regard. The 10x50, however, is clearly brighter for me than the 10x42.

FOV was also a noticeable difference between the two.

I’d be interested to see how the NL 10x42 hold up in brightness compared to my EL 10x50, but I absolutely won’t be considering another 12x purchase for my personal uses.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

Here is a new review by allbinos of the 12X42 NL for anyone interested.

Andy W.

Thanks for posting that. Now I know what “NL“ stands for. I’m hoping their next offering is the “MDL“ Bino