Swarovski NL Pure Binocular

UpWndFrt

FNG
The gentleman that helped me, said he really liked the 10‘s, and so did I. The FOV is considerably larger with the 10’s. But I’d want to try them out side by side before I shell out that kind of cash.
Surprised to not see much about the 8s. Having 10s only makes me even more curious... thinking the 10s might be the sweet spot (though the 12s seem a legit replacement for larger binos), but can't help but wonder if the 8s would drop you into a magically massive and detailed world when you pull them up...

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I finally received my 12 NLs last week. It is hard to explain how good the ergonomics are. They “feel” much smaller than normal 10x42s. They make my 10x42 ELs feel like a blocky brick. It is truly amazing what Swarovski has packaged here. When they first came out I thought I could resists but the power of 12 with the field of 10 was too much and I am glad I decided to give them a go. They are very “svelte”.

UpWndFrt

FNG
Steve how sensitive do you find the "eyebox"
Not asking me, and probably asking about 12s instead of 10s, but maybe its worth something anyways.

For me, out of the box: disappointed. If your eyes are bulging out of your head you might be able to get in there enough to see the field stops from the factory setting (pos 7, fully extended).

Said the endless FOV was marketing nonsense. Later that day I cranked the caps completely closed and floated them out in front of me. Almost zero edge and a massive image. Hmm...
Fiddled around with IPD and cup position for a while, got it where my eyes could see the field stops (the black ring youre used to seeing from looking down the tube isn't tube, its the insides of the eye cups on these things) then again a few days later, because I could see the edge, but wouod get blackouts as soon as I tried to look directly at it, then fiddled again...

Sounds like a pain, but I don't think they're particular per se. I just think a massive FOV makes it very hard to determine where the correct position actually is, and trying to get all those things juuusst right when you aren't sure if the other adjustment is even right makes it seem harder than it is.

I ended up in the position two clicks from extended, and have never had to do anything besides lock them out on every other bino I've used. 2 clicks in lets me relax, 1 click in makes me snuggle up to them a but also helped me figure out the correct IPD. Fully extended... Couldn't see the edges of the glass, just that "wrong eye relief blur."

I think if you had a helper, pointed those things at something bright and either made sure your IPD was correct by looking at the projection or measuring it on a paper background, BEFORE trying to find eyecup position, you'd have an easier time than I did. Buddy could help see how far you float the lenses from your face and adjust from there, but I think the correct IPD will help the eye relief sort itself out. I did it backwards, and spent a lot of time messing with them.

So.. sensitive to be perfect, but not sensitive to better than what ya already got.

6.5x284

WKR
Surprised to not see much about the 8s. Having 10s only makes me even more curious... thinking the 10s might be the sweet spot (though the 12s seem a legit replacement for larger binos), but can't help but wonder if the 8s would drop you into a magically massive and detailed world when you pull them up...

I love the 8x. On my recent goat trip I preferred them to my 15 SLC HD’s. Massive FOV and they are just so clear anything my 8’s couldn’t tell me my 15 couldn’t either and would have to bump to a spotter. I was blown away. On a tripod it’s pure bliss. Probably the same with the 10 and 12 too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick M.

WKR
Thats like 4 of ya. I have a feeling the FOV is so wide on the 8's you can check your own 6. Curious to hear thoughts from those who've directly compared to the 10's.
Considering the 12s weigh the same as the 8s and have better FoV than the EL 10s, I almost went with the 12s. But after talking with Doug for a while and describing my setup, we both decided that my initial decision of the 8s were a good choice. I'm happy with it. I'm of the camp that appreciates a wider field of view and tend to find more animals with less powerful glass.

I feel like the 8x42s are going to be a home run for my style of hunting.

eltaco

WKR
I’ve had a fair amount of time behind the NL 8x42 and EL 10x50s. While the FOV of the 8x was extremely impressive, I found a few instances where the 10x definitely helped discern resolution at distance. When I compared EL 12x50s, I felt like the hand jitter caused lower resolution than the 10s (for me). Though I haven’t had a chance to view the NL 10x42 yet, I decided to place an order. Just couldn’t talk myself into going 8x for my uses. They’re very impressive though!

UpWndFrt

FNG
I've had multiple 8x and always thought they were perfect; never desired 10s until the wider FOV made it a nothing-to-lose affair. I think it does help your brain stabilize the extra shake of the 10s, but I can't help but be curious what it would look like through the 8s.
I don't think I'm missing the extra FOV of the 8s since half of it will be ground and sky, but the extra density made things more clear for me in legacy designs.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Steve how sensitive do you find the "eyebox"
Well I wear glasses and locked down low same with the forehead rest they are perfect for me. Not sure how it would be in between all those steps but as they stand I could not be happier.

Seabee

FNG
I'd be interested to hear about hand shake on the 12x with and without the forehead rest

Seabee

FNG
And where are people getting their 12's from? If pre-ordering I'm curious how long the orders are taking to get out

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
And where are people getting their 12's from? If pre-ordering I'm curious how long the orders are taking to get out

i got mine from Rokslide sponsor 1Shot Gear. Those guys are serious hunters and have always given me the best service. You can absolutely trust any advice theY give on a purchase. I can’t say enough good about that crew.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I'd be interested to hear about hand shake on the 12x with and without the forehead rest
Yeah sorry I’m not going to take it off to make it less steady...it’s very unobtrusive and works exactly as it should. No brainer for me.

UpWndFrt

FNG
The bird-nerds were having a pretty detailed talk about it. I think the thread title referenced using it on 8x, but someone played the scientific-study card and started dropping numbers. Go down the rabbit hole at your own risk.