Swarovski NL PURE VS EL RANGE TA **Updated 5/4/22**

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you finally upgrading to alpha glass this year but not sure which Swarovski you want to go with?
I’ll be putting their two most popular models head to head to help you decide what is right for you. I have both of them in 10x42 and will be testing them over the next month or two.
Is there anything in particular you want me to compare?

**Update 5/4/22**

NL Pure vs EL Range TA

5dd84ea3133aeb7aced9613d7387a1ea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mi650

WKR
I need an upgrade like a hole in the head but I would like to see both side by side on tripods at dusk….
Yes, me too.

I have the 12x42 NL Pure, but the 12x is too much for my woods, so I'm definitely interested in this comparison. Actually have them up for sale/trade on other forums, and my 1st thought was to just get the 10x. The more I look around, the more complicated it gets.

fatrascal

WKR
I went from EL to EL Range without TA. What I found was that I had to focus the el range a lot more often as I moved my binos at different distances. I found that the el's had a better view than the el range. So I'm interested in this kind of comparison. Thankyou for asking. Fatrascal.

Too many canned, pre-written, wholly subjective reviews out there. Both are great! Insert few tradeoffs, can't go wrong! Use code Roxlide for 5% off!

Get some (or make some) standard resolution charts that allow you to approach some level of objectivity. You can quantify resolution apples to apples. Use different color gradation charts too. These charts will allow you to test not only these two binos, but any competitors in the future.

Of course usability, ergos, etc.

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Too many canned, pre-written, wholly subjective reviews out there. Both are great! Insert few tradeoffs, can't go wrong! Use code Roxlide for 5% off!

Get some (or make some) standard resolution charts that allow you to approach some level of objectivity. You can quantify resolution apples to apples. Use different color gradation charts too. These charts will allow you to test not only these two binos, but any competitors in the future.

Of course usability, ergos, etc.
I have that exact chart and will be using it. I wish I had that code a while ago though!!!

Comments from the bird forums and my own instore experience of the NL indicate that the shorter eye relief of the NL make it more difficult/figgity to get the whole FOV. There have also been some comments about increased stray light reflection or "veiling glare" in the NLs so getting behind both binos in high glare environments, (snow/ice/viewing sunup/down in the direction of the sun) would be good to compare them in. Also, if the sample size was high enough, it could be cool to see a tally of game spotted with the NL vs EL between a half dozen or more experienced optics users. Observer A, B, C, D etc deer counts while using each bino for an hour, tallying it up over the course of a number of days/weeks and making sure to equally distribute mornings/evenings between NL and EL. Id bet the wide FOV equals more game spotted assertion might be somewhat tempered with experienced glassers spending time behind both, but perhaps such a comparison would show a difference.

Yes, me too.

I have the 12x42 NL Pure, but the 12x is too much for my woods, so I'm definitely interested in this comparison. Actually have them up for sale/trade on other forums, and my 1st thought was to just get the 10x. The more I look around, the more complicated it gets.

I hunt in the woods and crop fields and actually prefer 8x. I have 10x as well but I prefer the larger exit pupil of the 8x and the steadier image when glassing off hand.

Thinking of upgrading this year. Would love to see a picture of the FOV difference at 500-1000 yards. At the end of it, would you spend the extra money on the NL’s? I am referring to regular EL’s, not the TA’s.

Last edited:
Has this comparison been published yet? I am in the market for one of these and have been going back and forth on which one to buy.

opalfan

FNG
Yes, I look forward to seeing your results too! I have the NL Pure 8x42 snd an older EL 8.5x42. Both are phenomenal glasses. The NL Pure, however, looks sleeker and has a little better ergonomic feel. Swaro makes great (but expensive) products! :)

dryflyelk

FNG
I also have an El Range TA 10x and the Pure in 12x. They are obviously both amazing. I haven’t spent a lot of time behind them yet but my initial impressions -

The TA’s glass is noticeably better than my first gen El range. I used to wish I had the Swarovski on El glass on those old ranges. That has been corrected. They are top notch with no compromise. The improved ranging features and glass make them the best in class.

The 12x Pure has blown me away. I got the head stabilizer thing and it is great. With that setup I hold them more steady than 10x without stabilization. The shape and ergos and FOV make me wonder how anyone could ever want anything else from a western hunting bino. Spectacular. If you’re not in a position to spend the money, don’t look through them.

Again, I haven’t really done much besides checking out hillsides from my truck and porch yet, so there may be something that sneaks up, but I doubt it.
Both binos are worthy upgrades from whatever it is you’re thinking of switching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro