Swarovski optic dilemma?

Sako79

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I bought a brand new set of Swarovski El 10x42 binos. I made the mistake of looking through a pair of the new NL pure 10 x 42. Wow very impressed. My dilemma is should I sell my 10 x 42 and purchase the new NL or should I keep my el and purchase the Kowa 553 spotter. I booked a fly in moose hunt flash Caribou / mountain goats / mountain sheep in Northwestern British Columbia Canada this September.

What would you guys do?

tdot

WKR
Definitely add the spotter to your collection first. Going from an EL to a NL is a negligible difference. But the spotter will add a whole new dimension to your glassing. Especially if you're pursuing sheep.

OP
S

Sako79

Lil-Rokslider
I should mention that my hunting partner has the Kowa 773 already

K_pem

WKR
Much easier than my current dilemma. I’d grab up a Kowa 55. Especially if your hunting partner already has a 77, so you guys have the ability to get Max clarification if needed, but if you’re backpacking and you don’t both want to carry spotters you have a light weight option too.

tdot

WKR
I should mention that my hunting partner has the Kowa 773 already
I dont know about Moose, but for Stone Sheep I probably spent as much time behind my spotter as with my bino's. It's probably worth it to have a 2nd spotter that you can disect the country more thoroughly with. But personally I don't think the 553 is ideal for that. The 553 seems to be best for the final identification of the animal. It doesn't have the FOV to scan effectively with, IMO.

If you are only using the 773 for the final identification, and not scanning with it, then maybe the increased FOV of the NL makes it worth the switch. But I'd still lean towards a 2nd spotter, then you don't have to be married to your hunting partner.

Be happy with your ELs,....great binos. Share a spotter with your buddy. Make sure you have a phone scope attachment for the spotter. Learn to use it. Simplifies assurance you have a legal ram as it is a lot easier to count rings and look at horn curls in a photo you can enlarge many times than a fleeting direct view thru the scope. Good luck!

OP
S

Sako79

Lil-Rokslider
Buying a new spotter is out of the question because I realized I do not like them

OP
S

Sako79

Lil-Rokslider
Now the question is get the 10x42 or 12x42 nl pures

Q child

WKR
I think I’d stick with the ELs. ELs are sweet.
If you feel compelled to sell them anyway, I’d probably replace them with another pair of 10s. Just my preference. Where I live and hunt 10s are the correct size. Also I bet 10s are going to be more versatile if you continue traveling to new places for your hunts.

I’d keep your ELs and add a BTX. It’s a whole new viewing experience and worth the weight penalty. Yes they are technically a spotter and you don’t like spotter, but I mainly use mine to pick apart distant terrain for game. It’s an amazing unit

Himself

FNG
You won't believe the screwing you will take on the EL, now that they are "second tier".

Best to hang onto them and tamp down your lust for the latest and best.

(just my opinion)

OP
S

Sako79

Lil-Rokslider
I took the plunge I sold one of my rifled and ordered the NL pure 10 x 42

AOberti

FNG
I sold my EL 10x42s and bought the NL 12x42's. Theres a big difference. Additionally, I have a Kowa 55, and Swaro 85. I honestly dont think the kowa 55 is that helpful anymore since I have the NL 12s. The Kowa 55 does give me more clarification and magnification, but not enough to give me the detail I need, especially if further than a mile. If you have the 12s, dont bother with the Kowa 55 and get something bigger. I had a kowa 77 and it was noticeably better than the 55, but sold it for the Swaro 85, which is even better.

OP
S

Sako79

Lil-Rokslider
Well I hope I will be happy with the new swaro NL pures