Swarovski poor man spotting scope

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
interesting, though the non waterproof thing kind of scares me. Im assuming if i had a problem i could send it in to swaro still and get it taken care of.

Can you comment on the eye relief of the fixed power scope? i wear glasses.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
It seems I have heard a lot more people complain about dust getting in their collapsables than water. I think they are sealed pretty good, as long as you dry them and wipe them before moving the tube in and out. Meopta makes a nice spotter of this design also.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
The real concern with a non-waterproof spotter is that they aren't purged with nitrogen or argon, so they can fog internally when temperatures fluctuate widely.

Robby, have your ever had that problem with your Swaro?

Also, that is an incredible deer and matching story.

B

bearguide

great read / i have a friend who has one --no problems great scope/ i am suprised they have not caught on more

Lawnboi

WKR
I see its stated at a 17 for eye relief, and it says it folds back for eyeglass wearers. If anyone with knowlege can comment on if this is adequate?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
17 is pretty big. It should be plenty for glasses. 13 is getting tight. It also depends on eyecup design.

The king of spotter eye relief is the Leupold GR FLP-style spotters, you can practically look through them from across the room.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The eye relief is good. I don't wear glasses, except at the rifle range with safety glasses and don't have to take them off to see.

Also, some asked about waterproof- read the whole review. I totally cover that in there.

There has been no problem with dust either. In fact, until I read that response about dust, it hadn't even crossed my mind in seven years of owning the scope.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Lawnboi, I've probably used it 50+ days in the rain/snow. check out the review, I wrote about that.

Lawnboi

WKR
Good to hear, this is a definite option for me! Thanks a bunch for the info. Now to start digging around to see if i can find one of them.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Bitterroot, glad you liked the buck.
As the review said, I only have had fogging problems a few times and that was before I started wiping the scope off before I slid it together. No fogging in temperature swings.
To me, if I could own the big glass that is sealed, I would, but I can't and feel like I'm getting 90% of what that big glass provides at a 200% cost savings.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Robby,

The dust thing seems to be mostly guys in desert environments, from what I've read.

Thanks for the article. I have always been curious about these types of scopes.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
thanks dotman,
Hoytnut, I can't tell if you bought and STS 65 or bought an STS, 65 years ago :).

That price is high, I've seen new for less than a grand and used for half that. Also, did the price on the 65 include the eyepiece? The CT doesn't have a seperate eyepiece so you save some money there.