Swarovski question

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider
Hello everyone. I hope this isnt beating a dead horse question. Ive been allowed to look at buying an atx spotter. Im so torn between the 95mm and 85mm. Does anyone have either and thoughts? Im worried about getting the 95 and regretting while hiking with it or getting the 85 and wishing I got the 95 if its better etc. Any thoughts? Thanks a bunch.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello everyone. I hope this isnt beating a dead horse question. Ive been allowed to look at buying an atx spotter. Im so torn between the 95mm and 85mm. Does anyone have either and thoughts? Im worried about getting the 95 and regretting while hiking with it or getting the 85 and wishing I got the 95 if its better etc. Any thoughts? Thanks a bunch.

If you can justify the weight and your glassing a lot, I’d go with a 95. That’s what I carry and I can justify the weight because I I glass so much and so far away. That said the 85 will certainly do the job well. If you have the option that 95 is killer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
A

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider
Good points on both sides. Im kinda edging to the 85 just for size in pack. Id be packing it either way. I know heavy as all get out but I packed my meopro which was a tank too. The 95 seems sweet but id never use the btx unless swaro integrated a zoom with it. I appreciate all the info.

Broomd

WKR
Both are sensational; the 95mm isn't really that much larger than the 85mm, but with cost, slight weight diff and the similarities, you'd be just in love with the 85mm.

I've had both and with extensive use I can honestly say that there isn't a huge difference. But there is a difference.

What fire652 said.

I spent this weekend glassing for elk.

I ended up hiking with the BTX65 for its field of view and convenience, paired with the ME any time I couldn't quite discern antlers.

OP
A

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome points. After reading and studying here I think going with the 95 first then saving for 65. I guess best of both worlds. Pack 95 during scouting trips not having weight of rifle etc then moving to 65 during the hunt. Unless 85 does both but ive heard several get the 95 and just keep and use that lol. Thanks guys.

Awesome points. After reading and studying here I think going with the 95 first then saving for 65. I guess best of both worlds. Pack 95 during scouting trips not having weight of rifle etc then moving to 65 during the hunt. Unless 85 does both but ive heard several get the 95 and just keep and use that lol. Thanks guys.

If you're here in AZ as I presume by your username, we can meet up and you can check out the whole lineup but the 85mm objective.

Last year when I was helping others fill their tags, I did what you are thinking about. I carried the full BTX95mm when I helped them find game.

OP
A

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider
If you're here in AZ as I presume by your username, we can meet up and you can check out the whole lineup but the 85mm objective.

Last year when I was helping others fill their tags, I did what you are thinking about. I carried the full BTX95mm when I helped them find game.

I really appreciate that offer. I just moved upto northern Utah though. And dang ive thought also about the BTX with the 95mm but since i have the 12x50 swaro el's I thought the zoom of the spotter would be better. But is that btx night and day?

The BTX is night and day different than the ATX.

I've been using them back and forth, both right next to each other on tripods.

Yesterday morning I was glassing a mountainside and watching both elk and Mule deer. The distance was right over a mile.

I preferred the BTX at 30x/35x over any zoom that the ATX offered.
Even being at half the magnification, I felt that my eyes were able to pick up details that I couldn't with one eye.

We ended up cutting the distance in half and all I took with me was the BTX65.

Hope this helps.

fire652

WKR
The BTX is night and day different than the ATX.

I've been using them back and forth, both right next to each other on tripods.

Yesterday morning I was glassing a mountainside and watching both elk and Mule deer. The distance was right over a mile.

I preferred the BTX at 30x/35x over any zoom that the ATX offered.
Even being at half the magnification, I felt that my eyes were able to pick up details that I couldn't with one eye.

We ended up cutting the distance in half and all I took with me was the BTX65.

Hope this helps.

Could not have said it better. But you also have to weigh what you are trying to accomplish then match your optic to it. I hunt coues deer Atleast every two years. For that hunt I want the btx with 65 objective. However I’m moving to Montana. For most of the hunting there I’ll use my swaro el 12x50. But hunting the eastern part of the state I’ll take the 12x50 with the atx 65 for mule deer and antelope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robie

WKR
I was in the same boat and went with the 95. I don't regret it. I pack it with me wherever I go and love having it.

OP
A

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone. I might do that 95 first with the btx then save for the eyepiece and 65 next. I appreciate it and will let ya know what pans out but awesome ideas here!

OP
A

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider
Had both, now only have the 95mm.

It's that good..

So 95mm over 85? Thanks for the info. Can I ask you is the chromatic aberration and colors were just as good as the 85? Those are the only 2 things ive heard people rip the 95 bs 85 on. To be honest im new to spotters so dont have a clue what they mean by it but figured you might. Thanks

BIGEYES

FNG
I think fire652 has it right. I have the same combination and really like them. The 95mm is a heck of a glass. The 65mm will save you a little weight. I've been wondering about the BTX but thus far have not looked through one. Curious to know if the BTX has the same level of brightness as the ATX/STX. Yes, I know the bino provides a much more comfortable view.