Swarovski question

I inherited my dad's 10x42 el's. Anything beyond about 60 yards, I have to have the focus wheel all the way to the right to be in focus. Everything appears really clear but it doesn't seem right? The focus dial is only used 60 yards and under? He just had them in to Swarovski for an eyecup replacement about a year ago I would think they would have gone through everything while they had em. They haven't been in the field since. Also wondering what is the correct way to set the diopter?
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Something's wrong. Wish I could be more helpful. My ELs stay sharp way way below 60 yds.

AGPank

WKR
You can start and track warranty repairs through their website. I just sent a pair in last month and came back good as new. 4-6 weeks out.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Is it messed up on one eye or both eyes? Maybe the diopter adjustment (in the center) is pulled out and not engaged? I can't imagine them coming back from the factory messed up.

OP
Broken Compass
Maybe I didn't explain very well, to focus anything beyond around 60 yards the wheel is turned all the way clockwise, so essentially the focus dial would only be used glassing 0-60 yards. Beyond that the dial is all the way clockwise. But image still seems quite sharp. I don't know how to better explain it...

OP
Broken Compass
No, I guess I'm not sure. Is it supposed to be in or out for focus/ diopter?

WyoElk

WKR
Check out the video that corbland posted above, it describes it way better than I can.

elkguide

WKR
With it pulled towards the eyepieces it is "out" for adjusting the diopter.
In/down, (towards the big end of the binos) is where it should be set for focus.

elkguide

WKR
I always begin by setting the diopter. Without anything to go on, pop the adjustment knob up and look at the "gauge on the front. Set it at zero and then lock it back in place and look through and see how it focuses then. If it is off for your eyes, focus on a target about 50 yards away. Cover your right eye/bino end and make sure the binos are in sharp focus. Now pull out the diopter adjustment and cover your left eye bino end and adjust the diopter. Push the diopter adjustment back in and then begin to see things. Once you have the diopter adjustment set, note what it is and put it to memory so that if a buddy picks them up and adjusts them for him, you can quickly move back to what you see best.

elkguide

WKR
If none of this works, I'd have a friend who is familiar with Swaros or go to a sporting goods store that sells them and ask for help. If someone who is experienced with them feels that there is a problem, call Swaro repair and talk to someone there, very helpful folks.
They are a great pair of glass and once you get them set, you are going to enjoy them.

ElkNut1

WKR
When comparing Binos or Focusing your own pair, first put them up to your eyes, now close right eye & leave left eye open, use focus wheel in center of bino & focus until left eye is perfectly clear. Once done close left eye & open your right eye & now focus that eye with your Diopter focus wheel. Some are located on the eye piece itself & others may be near the center focus wheel but this focus only effects your right eye piece. When done lock in the Diopter focus wheel so it doesn't move. With this done you can now use your center focus wheel as needed at varying distances! It's very important that your LEFT eye is focused first NOT your right eye!

Your center focus wheel will focus both eyes as best as is possible once the above step is done. The Diopter wheel only focuses your right eye this is why this is such an important step to get the most out of any Bino! When comparing Binos in Store this focusing of both eyes first before making comparisons is the only real way to see which bino is best for you or your budget!

Doing this can reduce or eliminate eye strain, how? When Binos are not properly focused per eye one of your eyes may be trying to constantly focus while the other is OK. Your brain does this focusing automatically for anything we may be looking at. Focus your binos properly & it can make glassing much more enjoyable & clear!

ElkNut1