Swarovski SLC 10x42 discontinued, what is the next best option in the same price range??

Mslengnr

FNG
The title says it all. Swarovski has discontinued the SLC 10x42 (verified with their US office) What is the next best option in the same or similar price range? I know there are a few retailers with stock left but I want a second option

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
When did they announce they discontinued the SLCs? Hasn't been anything wrong with them since they came to market. If I was looking in that price range that's still what I would buy. Not getting rid of mine anytime soon.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
M

Mslengnr

FNG
Late 2020. I called their US office and they confirmed. Also checked their website and they show unavailable in the US. Also checked Cameraland and they confirmed the 10x42 was not on the 2021 Swarovski price sheet

handwerk

WKR
I's say all the R and D gone into the new El Range AT would say otherwise.
Once they lowered the price on most of the EL's I suspect the SLC's were too close in retail price.

ZDR

WKR
I dont think they are trying to distance themselves from hunting but are trying to drive customers towards the Pure, EL or CL line-up. Their main page still comes up with Hunting, Outdoors, Birding links, at least for now...

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
SLC are still available in 56mm but 42's series are gone. Kahles will not be available in US market. WIth the release of the Pure line, they lowered the price of the EL's to help fill the market spot of the SLC. Rumor has it that Swaro are due to announce new Companion CL offerings in 42mm as well.

To answer the OP's question, Kowa Genesis, Meopta Meostar, and Nikon Monarch HG are all right on the heels of the SLC's. If you aren't in a rush, Meopta will be releasing the lastest version of the Meostars later this year which will be the B2's and should be at least as good as the SLC's optically, if not better. The current B1.1's are pretty nice as is. Very close to SLC level for a lot less money. Great warranty.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Really glad I've got my SLCs now if they do indeed focus on the field flattening lines. I get intense headaches using those so it makes it easier in the future to exclude them from optics decisions for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sektr

FNG
Discovered I’m more of an 8x guy by buying them, but I’ve been loving my Maven B1 10x42 in terms of optical quality. When I’ve got the money for 8x42s it’ll be another pair of the B1.

I’ve heard the B2 be compared to the SLCs before and they’re apparently close on their heels. Comes in 9x45 and 11x45. I’m not a fan of the physical size but if you can get past that they’re supposed to be excellent.

JGRaider

WKR
To answer the OP, my preference is the Meostar HD. You give up nothing to the SLC unless you have them side by side on tripods, and even then you have to nitpick to find it.

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah so, that's what everyone else who doesn't live in the USA has to do.
The large majority of consumers in the States would likely prefer to use the well-known excellent service of SONA and save downtime and postage. Plenty of options without having to buy grey market.

Last edited: