Swarovski SLC 10x42 or Leica Duovid 10-15x50

Ac338

WKR
If you could get either pair for the same price and could only get one what would you buy? Only bowhunt ranging from Eastern whitetail, western elk, pronghorn and muleys as well as a Coues deer hunt next year. Mostly multiday backpack hunts will be used both tripod and free hand. Method of carry would be from a harness. Thanks in advance.

Hogyotedeer

Banned
I use a 12X50 Leica BN for that. What I do is use a basic 8X, either a light 8X32 or an 8X42 for the general glassing and then use the big 12X to redo those areas that I'm not satisfied with. Try reading Barsness's article on the Home Page, "Looking Long".
In spite of the opinions on the Big Eyes article, I've found the big 12X bino to be quite useful from a solid sitting position. It is not, however, anything you want to use from standing at all.
Barsness also discusses the 8+12X42 as a much more useful tool than the 10X. He says that it, on 12X, will outperform any 10X, and he's probably tried them all.
The Big Eyes article also said that the 12X50 Leica Ultravid will "run right along with" the 15X Swaro until it starts to get really dark. I believe that means it will show you just as much, just smaller.
The biggest drawback to the big Swaro is that it, like any 15X, it really needs to be used from a tripod. For that reason, I don't think you be able to use the 15X setting on the Duovid much unless you put the whole binocular on a tripod or use some sort of improvised rest to do the same thing. However, I'd also add that the 10+15 Duovid on 10X will be easier on the eyes than the 10X42 you use now simply because of it's larger exit pupil and more weight.
So, to my mind, you have several options which you can select based on your projected use of the binocular.
If you just want a binocular that will show you more than a 10X, then maybe the 8+12X42 Duovid. More performance in a small and not too heavy package. No tripod required. The 8X, I've found, is much more useful/easier to use from standing than a 10X if that's what you do much of.

I’d take the Duovid for sure. They are a bad ass optic. The FOV is a bit narrow but they are very sharp. If 12x50 ELs didn’t exist I’d own the duovids

OP
A

Ac338

WKR
I’d take the Duovid for sure. They are a bad ass optic. The FOV is a bit narrow but they are very sharp. If 12x50 ELs didn’t exist I’d own the duovids
I'm leaning that way just a little concerned with the size for archery. I feel like the versatility could offset the weight though and at $1680 new it's really tempting.

Last edited:
I'm leaning that way just a little concerned with the size for archery. I feel like the versatility could offset the weight though and at $1680 new it's really tempting.

I’m used to their size at this point. I’m using the XL Kuiu harness and it carries them nicely. Carried them on my chest backpacking 10 miles a handful of times, and I just did a 3D shoot with them as well.

You can do so much more with 15x than 10x. You will absolutely spot more game, no questions asked—at least for more open western country. I think having a dedicated 10x and 15x would be nice and slightly better optically...but the ability to switch quickly between the powers and not have to carry something extra is clutch. The only thing I would consider over my 10-15 duovids would be the 12x ELs...and even then I’m not convinced they would help me spot more game. They are better optically but to my eyes the extra 3x helps pick up game easier at distance.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I love my Duovids. I had 10x42 SLCs a long time ago. Typically I use my 10 ELs but if I need more than that I break out the Duovids. Sadly I’ve never compared them head to head with 15 SLCs but I never have felt hindered by that. They are top notch.